GOOGLE - The Selfish Ledger - unsettling vision of Silicon Valley social engineering

robut

Google’s Selfish Ledger is an unsettling vision of Silicon Valley social engineering

This internal video from 2016 shows a Google concept for how total data collection could reshape society
[video=youtube;iqUCX5rPQug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqUCX5rPQug[/video]

The video was made in late 2016 by Nick Foster, the head of design at X (formerly Google X) and a co-founder of the Near Future Laboratory. The video, shared internally within Google, imagines a future of total data collection, where Google helps nudge users into alignment with their goals, custom-prints personalized devices to collect more data, and even guides the behavior of entire populations to solve global problems like poverty and disease.

When reached for comment on the video, an X spokesperson provided the following statement to The Verge:

“We understand if this is disturbing -- it is designed to be. This is a thought-experiment by the Design team from years ago that uses a technique known as ‘speculative design’ to explore uncomfortable ideas and concepts in order to provoke discussion and debate. It’s not related to any current or future products.”
So ... would this put the Cambridge Analytica stuff in the halfpenny place?

Why .. what is the eventual end game for google here with this?

The last piece about the behavioral sequencing ... essentially we become so dumbed down and dependent on the LEDGER that we no longer make decisions, we have to consult the ledger to make the decisions for us ..

Last edited:

che schifo

Dunno, but I suspect Google may already know that I'm a bit keen on wànking... :oops:

truthisfree

Google’s Selfish Ledger is an unsettling vision of Silicon Valley social engineering

[video=youtube;iqUCX5rPQug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqUCX5rPQug[/video]

So ... would this put the Cambridge Analytica stuff in the halfpenny place?

Why .. what is the eventual end game for google here with this?

The last piece about the behavioral sequencing ... essentially we become so dumbed down and dependent on the LEDGER that we no longer make decisions, we have to consult the ledger to make the decisions for us ..
I don't think google know, no-one knows where this digital age will lead us and it will lead us somewhere, different? to a degree but I do not see human nature changing, funny but I do think that is exactly what google are hinting at here.

robut

If you get a chance .. look at the video, in quiet place if possible so as to give it full attention to get the ideas, 8 mins. Worth it.

truthisfree

If you get a chance .. look at the video, in quiet place if possible so as to give it full attention to get the ideas, 8 mins. Worth it.
I did watch it, but its late and I am tired but will watch it again, an interesting subject Robut.

robut

I don't think google know, no-one knows where this digital age will lead us and it will lead us somewhere, different? to a degree but I do not see human nature changing, funny but I do think that is exactly what google are hinting at here.
I do .. already via likes of facebook. For example people using FB to tell others not to use things like those vaccines for girls ( MMR?? ) .. and mothers in particular deciding not to.

People consulting social media, google for what to do, where to go, what to wear, what to eat. No longer depending on themselves to decide but letting social media etc decide for them?

robut

I did watch it, but its late and I am tired but will watch it again, an interesting subject Robut.
It is isnt it ... thought ye might like it :D

Look forward to your considered thoughts when untired tomorrow :D

truthisfree

I do .. already via likes of facebook. For example people using FB to tell others not to use things like those vaccines for girls ( MMR?? )

People consulting social media, google for what to do, where to go, what to wear, what to eat. No longer depending on themselves to decide but letting social media etc decide for them?
Social media is just that, a medium, no different than gossiping and exchanging information at the village pump albeit on a much larger scale. Quantity ≠ Quality

robut

Social media is just that, a medium, no different than gossiping and exchanging information at the village pump albeit on a much larger scale.
Yeah but my point is many are already dependent on it to make decisions for them, completely dumbed down already, in some cases devoid of own independent thought and this is before even this ledger concept has come into being ??

truthisfree

Yeah but my point is many are already dependent on it to make decisions for them, completely dumbed down already and this is before even this ledger concept has come into being ??
Agreed, but those people already behaved exactly like that before social media allowing themselves to be led by whoever they regarded as their peers, the medium has changed, not the message (Please prove me wrong)

truthisfree

Yeah but my point is many are already dependent on it to make decisions for them, completely dumbed down already, in some cases devoid of own independent thought and this is before even this ledger concept has come into being ??
Being dependant on Facebook or their one eyed Granny does not change anything other than the medium, most people are led by others. Very few are capable of independent thinking let alone creative.

robut

Agreed, but those people already behaved exactly like that before social media allowing themselves to be led by whoever they regarded as their peers, the medium has changed, not the message (Please prove me wrong)
Yeah but previously a group of teenagers may have followed a gang or a group but that group was sort of self contained to an extent? Ok they watched TV maybe .. But now we chuck in the smart phone with social media etc .. this is an external influence / control, data access point, opinion shaper brought into the group. Where as a TV had to be gone to in the past, in one place, smartphones are with the group all the time feeding it. Hope you get my point .. its late :D

truthisfree

Yeah but previously a group of teenagers may have followed a gang or a group but that group was sort of self contained to an extent? Ok they watched TV maybe .. But now we chuck in the smart phone with social media etc .. this is an external influence / control, data access point, opinion shaper brought into the group. Where as a TV had to be gone to in the past, in one place, smartphones are with the group all the time feeding it. Hope you get my point .. its late :D
Yes, I do get your point, and it is late and I would love to continue this discussion with you anon. I do see why they are referencing Lamarck and Dawkins as regards this and what they may mean by it, but ... theres always a but - Robut :p Information passing swiftly through a different medium does not mean a change..even if they are referencing a gene pool change...as I think they are.

William_O'Harris

There has always been what Estulin has cited as an "aristocracy of purpose". Noble people do not oppress their charges but help them to rise towards greater heights. Facebook is essentially a form of what in Islam is called "shura" or consultation, think of it as a collection of focus groups. Powerful algorithms are employed to guide these groups through their consultations without revealing their owners. Only when the owners become visible will there be a need for force. Yet all this could have been avoided if the internet had remained a mesh network as Dmytri Kleiner points out, whether the world would have been more or less unstable is debatable.

robut

Three Signs Google Is Turning to the Dark Side

Don’t be evil.

Since 2000, this phrase has served as a motto-of-sorts for Google. It was even the first sentence in Google’s Code of Conduct – emphasis on was. On Friday Gizmodo reported that, sometime near the end of April or the beginning of May, Google removed “don’t be evil” almost entirely from their Code of Conduct. It was only included once, in the very last sentence.

This lack of inclusion might seem small, but it can also be seen as the latest sign that Google may be shifting its moral priorities. And given that the company now provides far more than just answers to our most important (or silliest) questions, that shift could spell trouble for the future of humanity.

Mick Mac

Google is interested in uncomfortable debate and thought provoking material and ideas.

Google?

Mick Mac

I do .. already via likes of facebook. For example people using FB to tell others not to use things like those vaccines for girls ( MMR?? ) .. and mothers in particular deciding not to.

Yeah I think social media is changing people. The whole sjw thing is reflective of that as is the polarised right. Hyper responsive, hyper vocal, almost inarticulate, and gone to the next issue already.

Analyzer

The usual I imagine, total power, world domination, white cats.

It is hard to know which is worse...

......creepy, dishonest, virtue signalling corporate concerns that actively disrespect human beings.....

...........of the deflectors that show up to portray anybody who voices issues of concerns, as being unhinged, so as to deflect for such concerns.

Civic_critic2

This kind of technology cannot survive in a capitalist society without turning into fascism, for the exploitation of the many by the few and the self-seeking of profit mean it will be used by the powerful against everyone else.

Either we create a free society with automation and abundance or we let the brutal construct a society where these technologies are used to oppress. A capitalist society, especially one in crisis, will use these technologies in the most mean-spirited, small-minded, idiotic ways. The choice truely is between abundance or babarism.

People should note that when they're hearing these 'brain-storming' ideas or visions of the future that they are listening to the view of capitalist exploiters on how this technology should be and will be used. These people are, politically, utterly untrustworthy and dangerous and frankly wrong in their view of material reality. The vision they show is their own limited vision of how this will be used for self-seeking - that video blathers on inevitably about 'products' - this is an utterly limited view of what is possible. They are exploiters, 21st century feudalists attempting to construct a high-tech fascist state, pretending that this is inevitable and sort of built-in to 'the future'. We have far more choices than these politically unsophisticated goons would have you believe.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies