Google to ban ads related to referendum on 8th

ger12

Google to ban ads related to referendum on Eighth.

I thought that Facebook was fair enough yesterday in rejecting ads from foreign groups seeking to influence the referendum on the Eighth Amendment but this move by Google reeks of censorship.

"However, Google has gone a step further than Facebook by not only rejecting ads from organisations and individuals from outside the State, but all relevant ads during the final weeks of the campaign."

What don't they, the politicians, the media, want you to know?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/961266/

slysnara

Banning 8th-related stuff from online media allows for the mainstream media to frame the narrative without online avenues interfering with that.

After all, it was mainstream media that led the charge to ban this advertising from online media.

MsDaisyC

Cranky anti creates multiple whinging threads because their lies aren't being tolerated anymore.

Foreign interference to rig a democratic vote has had the knees cut out from under it and people who were benefiting financially from it are browned off.

slysnara

Foreign interference to rig a democratic vote has had the knees cut out from under it and people who were benefiting financially from it are browned off.
I don't see you trying to stop the pro-abortion lies coming from the mainstream media?

And nothing to say about the Soros money, no?

Half Nelson

Google to ban ads related to referendum on Eighth.

I thought that Facebook was fair enough yesterday in rejecting ads from foreign groups seeking to influence the referendum on the Eighth Amendment but this move by Google reeks of censorship.

"However, Google has gone a step further than Facebook by not only rejecting ads from organisations and individuals from outside the State, but all relevant ads during the final weeks of the campaign."

What don't they, the politicians, the media, want you to know?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/961266/
And who is 'requesting' that they do it?

Who died and made these companies the guardians of our democracy?

ger12

No, this is censorship.

This is sinister.

MsDaisyC

I don't see you trying to stop the pro-abortion lies coming from the mainstream media?
What lies, ya big antichoice whingy crybaby? Back in your pram, Sulky McSulkyface.

No, this is censorship.

This is sinister.
Is it really, though? If you have to pay thousands of dollars a day to get a point across it's hardly balanced and factual.

slysnara

What lies, ya big antichoice whingy crybaby? Back in your pram, Sulky McSulkyface
You are so juvenile it's hilarious :D

An unborn child has about as much maturity as you do.

slysnara

But it applies equally to both sides surely ?

What could be so sinister about that ?
It came off the back of pro-choice activists and journalists complaining about pro-life ads on online media.

They feared it was having an impact so they wanted it curtailed.

ger12

What lies, ya big antichoice whingy crybaby? Back in your pram, Sulky McSulkyface
In a democracy voices should be heard.

We've seen few debates as the media concentrate on interviewing No and Yes separately.

The spin isn't challenged. We've already seen thejournal.ie go back and change a FactCheck to lend to the Repeal narrative. The Irish Times shilling constantly for Repeal. RTE only seem to cover the hard cases in interviews and set pieces despite the simple fact that 97% of UK abortions are not carried out under the hard cases.

This is Russia.

ger12

The media and the government are partizan.

Are Google going to ban all links in all Referenda and all elections accross the globe?

showbandmanager

It came off the back of pro-choice activists and journalists complaining about pro-life ads on online media.

They feared it was having an impact so they wanted it curtailed.
But it's curtailed equally for both sides , no pro choice ads now either so that's fair enough surely .

MsDaisyC

But it's curtailed equally for both sides , no pro choice ads now either so that's fair enough surely .
Antis don't do fair. Hence all the spending on bull$hit ads.

slysnara

I would agree in principle, but it's being done here specifically because of pressure from the Yes side.

If it had been agreed on a couple of months ago, I wouldn't have a problem. The problem for me is that it's happening now, little more than two weeks before the vote, because one side feel the other have outmanoeuvred them at it.

Cellachán Chaisil

In a democracy voices should be heard.

We've seen few debates as the media concentrate on interviewing No and Yes separately.

The spin isn't challenged. We've already seen thejournal.ie go back and change a FactCheck to lend to the Repeal narrative. The Irish Times shilling constantly for Repeal. RTE only seem to cover the hard cases in interviews and set pieces despite the simple fact that 97% of UK abortions are not carried out under the hard cases.

This is Russia.
And here's me thinking the No side couldn't get any more shrill.

No and Yes are still able to post videos to YOUTUBE. No one is being silenced.

'orebel

ger12

Is it just for this little referendum in Ireland?

Will this happen for all elections and all referendum throughout the World?

showbandmanager

The media and the government are partizan.

Are Google going to ban all links in all Referenda and all elections accross the globe?
Every week i read our local paper and when it comes to this referendum , it's basically like reading The Irish Catholic .

New Threads

Most Replies