• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Google to launch new web browser

C&AG

Website
machinenation.forumakers.com
digoutday said:
C&AG said:
Does this look to anyone like a new Operating System?

good point.....I really think this puts it up to mickeysoft bigtime....
I was thinking that too - recently I've been wondering why someone hasn't brought out yet an OS with very simple interface so your radio-loving granny and bebo daughter can both operate the net without having to think tabout it as a computer they're operating. The Asus eee little cheapo linux-based pc is an effort at this.

Open source boys could even take the likes of the linux kernel and put three interfaces on top with buttons - "Simple", "Intermediate", "Expert . The Simple would operate in a way so as to emulate all types of familar device interface - remote controls for televisions, mobile phones, radio interfaces, even door locks in order to communicate function to the likes of your granny. All would be fully integrated with the net and with wifi nearly everywhere, set up could be avoided totally - just plug in and switch on.

I'd say google aren't far from doing the likes of this with Chrome .. Microsoft nowhere in sight.

Evestown

Its just a browser. Interesting but just a bit of subtle branding. Quite a lot of people think that Google is the internet. Now they will have an icon on their desktop that says "Google" and not "Microsoft Internet Explorer".

I suppose it is one step closer to a Google operating system. but the value to Google will be that the default homepage is theirs and not MSN.

Bobert

I'll stick to Firefox, thank you.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
It's not a bad idea, but it can't be an actual OS if it's running stuff in sandboxes. It's a move towards the functionality of an OS perhaps but it still needs something else to run on.

C&AG

Website
machinenation.forumakers.com
KingKane said:
It's not a bad idea, but it can't be an actual OS if it's running stuff in sandboxes. It's a move towards the functionality of an OS perhaps but it still needs something else to run on.
Yes. It's more of a little platform - the idea reminds me of java.

The best thing yet I've seen to challenge microsoft in a certain small corner of the market is that Asus eee pc which has 2GB of stick hard drive, wifi, a skinny linux variety running firefox, a text editor and a few other rudimentary programs. There is a file system if you need it but the main reason for it is a yoke which runs firefox and comes in pink or white and is possibly the right size for a 15 year-old's handbag.

It's about €250.

Evestown

Chrome is very good, I'm posting this from a Chrome browser.

It has a few nice touches and from reading their description of how it is built it should be way more stable. I would suggest that anyone who uses Microsoft Internet Explorer should give it a go. Firefox or Safari users have most of the improvements already.

digoutday

Website
www.digoutday.com
Evestown said:

It has a few nice touches and from reading their description of how it is built it should be way more stable. I would suggest that anyone who uses Microsoft Internet Explorer should give it a go. Firefox or Safari users have most of the improvements already.

i'll second that, its good. I reckon the plan will be to use this with the andriod platform for mobile phones.....

Aindriu

Evestown said:

I disagree. It does not have java or active x which rules out a lot of sites. I am currently using Apple Safari (on a PC) and like the built in spell checker and the bookmark tool bar.

G

Gimpanzee

downloaded it this morning. Seems alright, but I can't see why anyone would move from ie or firefox... yet

silvamuppet

KingKane said:
Haven't seen it (chrome) yet myself but google floated the idea a while ago that they saw home computing going down an almost mainframe route with tinternet being the mainframe. i.e. lightweight thin clients (a browser on at most a low end PC etc) in the home and your applications on the web somewhere.
Google themselves have already started this progression with their Google Docs functionality among other bits and bobs.

Seems like a logical step if they had the OS for this new way forward! I'm guessing it will be easy enough to develop for with the GWT etc.
Whether it takes off is an entirely different question.

Bobert

EoinMn

Website
eoinmadden.ie
I'm using it.

Its good. I like the "Create application shortcut" feature (although Mozilla Prisim does the same thing)

Also they claim each tab is its own thread, therefore one tab can crash and the others will remain functional, unlike Firefox.

cHeal

Gimpanzee said:
downloaded it this morning. Seems alright, but I can't see why anyone would move from ie or firefox... yet

I honestly cannot fathom how anyone could still be using IE, it is so awfully slow and clunky. Creating a new, empty, tab in IE is slower than opening a tab with a webpage in Opera/Firefox or Chrome, if you have a decent connection. For me Opera has the most and best features of any browser, but if you want to go down the route of plugins then Firefox is superior. Personally I lost interest in al the FF plug-ins once the novelty wore off and to be honest, 2 of the new features of Chrome have been in Opera for months, so apart from it being faster it's not really that great.

Green eyed monster

I won't support it because i am wary of the company, i don't like handing over all our Internet activities to one company and placing everything under their control.

Rahood

Thranduil said:
I won't support it because i am wary of the company, i don't like handing over all our Internet activities to one company and placing everything under their control.
stupid muppets like you should not be allowed online.

You get to the Internet through an ISP

*having said that Chrome is MS only so I'll not be using it

imokyrok

essexboy said:
Bobert said:
I'll stick to Firefox, thank you.
Have you tried Opera?

I only use Opera - I find the others too slow. I wonder how it compares speed wise?