Google will do the impossible.

• Thread starter Deleted member 48908
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48908

Google has laid down a marker in the battle against climate change.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/dec/06/google-powered-100-renewable-energy-2017

They plan to power themselves with 100% renewable energy from next year on. Google's EU energy lead, Marc Oman, says that Google's data centers and offices will be entirely run on renewables.

Now then, while this is an admirable and worthwhile proposal, how is it possible?

Maybe someone on here with greater knowledge than I, with regard to electrical transmission, can explain to me how their offices on Barrow St. can be solely run on renewable power, when Ireland's power grid isn't run solely on renewables.

Would google tell porky-pies? Surely not. Maybe they're redefining what renewables are... I mean, eventually everything will revert back to fossil fuel anyways.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
When you opt for renewable plans, the supplier guarantees that it buys at least as much lecky as you end up using from renewable providers. The 'actual power' may have come from a plant that exclusively burns 1990's plastic dashboards from old Fiats as fuel in the most CO2 inefficient manner imaginable but it matters not.

JCR

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/dec/06/google-powered-100-renewable-energy-2017

They plan to power themselves with 100% renewable energy from next year on. Google's EU energy lead, Marc Oman, says that Google's data centers and offices will be entirely run on renewables.

Now then, while this is an admirable and worthwhile proposal, how is it possible?

Maybe someone on here with greater knowledge than I, with regard to electrical transmission, can explain to me how their offices on Barrow St. can be solely run on renewable power, when Ireland's power grid isn't run solely on renewables.

Would google tell porky-pies? Surely not. Maybe they're redefining what renewables are... I mean, eventually everything will revert back to fossil fuel anyways.
Google, from the article you posted are saying they will be switching to solar and wind energy providers. They began this process in 2012 and have spent four years doing the logistics and planning thus far so I'd be sure enough that a company such as google are able to ensure this is plausible -unless of course its an example of Trump era post-truthism.

If sincere, its partly PR, partly consumer friendly (both profit friendly of course) and partly genuine concern. As branding for Google its a great move. If its possible it should be compulsory but that would involve international co-operation - something that in the Trump and resurgent nationalistic era doesn't look too promising, unfortunately.

riven

The article says that google are moving towards non intermittent renewable energy producers like hydro, biomass (renewable?) and as well, nuclear. This is far from impossible. It is actually ditching the majority of its wind and solar.

Furthermore they are saying currently they do it on average over the year meaning that they are trading electricity or buying "credits". Once they more to non intermittent sources of low carbon, then they can act like say France.

Analyzer

Google are an oligopolistic player who hold a near monopolistic market position.

PR stunts do not change that.

jmcc

fat finger

If Google wants to tackle climate change, it should start with the small print and steer clear of the banner headlines. The last time I looked, none of its webpages were W3C compliant, meaning not compliant with the standards of the World Wide Web consortium. Non compliant webpages take longer to open which means more energy is consumed by each computer, a minimal amount of course for each page, but aggregated across the web becomes a huge amount of energy each day. Some years ago I offered clients websites that would be fully compliant suggesting they would be more attractive to search engines like Google because of the lower energy required to parse and open them, which would lead to them being favoured in the rankings. Sadly Google seems to have completely ignored this and most of the sites languished far down despite much effort going in to making them first pagers. Anyway, getting W3C compliant will save Google and the planet a great deal of energy and money without getting sidetracked by renewables which is another industry altogether. Compliance begins at home.

The Field Marshal

Its just another business /commercial tactic to suck up to the liars who have swindled millions in the world into thinking that humans are responsible for climate change.

By pleasing these political fraudsters and deluded govts, commercial enterprises like Google make life easier for themselves.

Just normal business practice.

statsman

They are not alone:

Vistakon wind turbine goes live in Limerick | Arup | A global firm of consulting engineers, designers, planners and project managers

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
A side-note. I moved my (then) fledgling company onto 100% renewables in 2008 when we were two years old, just 15 people and breaking even. That it took Google 20 and years of multi-billion dollar profits before they made the same move takes the shine off this commitment of theirs, for me at least.

Polly Ticks

Press releases for the happy-clappies. Got to be cynical about this kind of stuff. That sentences out of the quotes sections and search for them to see where the same press release is recycled by churnalists. :)

https://www.google.ie/search?q=“We+are+convinced+this+is+good+for+business,+this+is+not+about+greenwashing.+This+is+about+locking+in+prices+for+us+in+the+long+term.+Increasingly,+re&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Ha Aren't we clever?

I do the same thing sometimes and it can be very revealing.

However, it's important to know what you are doing.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the quote you're googling appears to be original and was provided to The Guardian.

Other outlets have reused it, but it seems most of them managed to mention The Guardian when reusing the quote.

This has nothing to do with rehashing a press release and everything to do with lazy gits at other outlets rehashing the guardian's journalism.

Cynicism and criticality are good but not to the point of confirmation bias. ;) :)

Notachipanoaktree

Yeah! That's the solution.

Google............Hahahahahahahahhahahahahah hahahahahhahahhahhaha ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think Deloitte have overstepped their remit with Google. A Few Years deprogramming wouldn't go adrift.

Trainwreck

A lie basically. A big fat marketing and PR lie.

Trainwreck

When you opt for renewable plans, the supplier guarantees that it buys at least as much lecky as you end up using from renewable providers. The 'actual power' may have come from a plant that exclusively burns 1990's plastic dashboards from old Fiats as fuel in the most CO2 inefficient manner imaginable but it matters not.

Yep, and there is the rub.

Over the many many periods when they can't generate or source "renewable" power, you get coal or gas fired electricity.

A big fúcking lie, to virtue signal about a big fúcking lie (CAGW)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies