GOP Convention: Cleveland 2016

NYCKY

The quadrennial GOP convention is set to take place in Cleveland Ohio, from Monday July 18th through Thursday July 21st during which Donald J Trump is expected to become the party’s nominee for the Presidential election this November.

It’s not too much of an accident that Cleveland was chosen as the host city. Of the six initial cities bidding, Dallas, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Denver and Cleveland, two were Ohio cities, a crucial swing state in recent elections. When the shortlist was dropped to two cities, ironically, it was between Dallas and Cleveland. However and sadly as a result of the police shootings in Dallas, the Cleveland police are adjusting their security planning.

Despite the recent trend of both parties, hosting their conventions in swing states, the GOP lost in five of the last six states, in which they held their nominating contests, notably in Tampa, Florida in 2012 and Minneapolis-St Paul, Minnesota 2008. The GOP did hold their conventions in Cleveland in 1924 and 1936 but the Democrats have never held their convention in this city (they held two in Cincinnati).

This year the conventions are being held earlier than usual so as to allow the candidate to fundraise for the general election earlier. There are strict rules regarding funds spent on the primary and on the general election. Once a candidate moves from presumptive nominee to nominee, then the fundraising and spending rules change.

Cleveland is home to the Rock and roll hall of fame, one of the main city attractions and the GOP logo is a nod to this.

There has been much comment on the lack of big name attendees at this year’s convention, both former Presidents Bush will not be attending, neither will recent nominees, Mitt Romney and Senator John McCain who is in a tight re-election battle of his own. The only living GOP nominee scheduled to attend is Bob Dole and at 92, this may well be his last convention. The lack of high profile attendees, presents a challenge for Mr. Trump in lining up key speakers over four nights.

It is still unclear whether or not local Ohio Senator Rob Portman (in a close election contest himself) or Governor John Kasich (a recent Presidential candidate) will attend.

The convention presents one of the last major chances for Trump to turn his campaign around. He has not yet fully united his party around him and has not been as competitive as his opponent at fund raising and polling generally shows Mr Trump trailing his opponent, Secretary Clinton.

This year is unusual, in that the conventions are usually held after the Olympics, both are being held before the summer Olympics set to begin in Rio on August 5th 2016.

The last two conventions, were both cut short by one day, in 2008 then President Bush, who was toxic at the time, gave McCain a pass and a blessed relief as he was busy in the White House dealing with Hurricane Gustav and four years later, Hurricane Isaac’s path threatened Tampa and the convention was cut short by one day. Ironically, among the speakers scheduled to speak on that day was none other than Donald J Trump.

It is unlikely that any hurricane will stop the Donald at this convention.

https://www.2016cle.com/

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Republican Convention 2016 - Cleveland 18-21 July". </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

D

Deleted member 48908

They should've incorporated a basketball rather than a guitar into the logo.

NYCKY

It's funny that you say that. The Cleveland Cavaliers win, which (I'm sure you know) took all 7 games actually delayed the preparation for the convention. They had to wait until LeBron won to start prepping for the convention. The city's sports teams hadn't won anything for decades, literally and now they win the NBA! WTF!

That said they were awarded the convention in the heat of 2014.

D

Deleted member 48908

It's funny that you say that. The Cleveland Cavaliers win, which (I'm sure you know) took all 7 games actually delayed the preparation for the convention. They had to wait until LeBron won to start prepping for the convention. The city's sports teams hadn't won anything for decades, literally and now they win the NBA! WTF!

That said they were awarded the convention in the heat of 2014.
The GOP aren't the best at contingencies, are they. :)

Dame_Enda

The elephant/guitar combo icon is a little unorthodox but I quite like it. It represents the celebrity presence this year. However I hope he is not so idiotic as to invite Mike Tyson to speak. I heard him at a rally again boasting that Tyson had endorsed him. How does he expect to make progress with women by saying that about a convicted rapist?

Seems that protesters are going to create a rumpus at the GOP convention. Recently a court reduced restrictions on them following ACLU threats of legal action. Could turn out like the 1968 Democratic convention which did a lot of damage to that party. On the other hand it could also provoke more conservative voters into voting for him like after the Chicago riots in the primaries.

Catalpast

The elephant/guitar combo icon is a little unorthodox but I quite like it. It represents the celebrity presence this year. However I hope he is not so idiotic as to invite Mike Tyson to speak. I heard him at a rally again boasting that Tyson had endorsed him. How does he expect to make progress with women by saying that about a convicted rapist?

Seems that protesters are going to create a rumpus at the GOP convention. Recently a court reduced restrictions on them following ACLU threats of legal action. Could turn out like the 1968 Democratic convention which did a lot of damage to that party. On the other hand it could also provoke more conservative voters into voting for him like after the Chicago riots in the primaries.
IIRC in Miami in '68 at the GOP Convention there was a Black riot and the cops shot 10 of them dead

- I don't think they would try that one these days!:shock:

Roisin3

Would have been perfect if they'd put a basketball just a bit from the end of the elephant's trunk, like he was shooting the ball.

Polly Ticks

There's only one mistake by the lake.. let's keep it that way.

President Bartlet

So avoid Clevland where all the gun totting red neck bible basking Isiash quoting GOP nut jobs/ hillbillies will be!

Kershaw

Alleged Leaked Direct Messages from the BlackLivesMatter Leader's Twitter Account suggest they are Preparing for Massive protests at the Republican & Democrat conventions to shut them down. 10,000 are Planned to Arrive at the RNC.

The Twitter account of Black Lives Matter activist and former Baltimore mayoral candidate DeRay Mckesson was hacked Friday morning. These are some Direct Message allegedly leaked from his account (no idea if true):

Johnetta Elzie(@Nettaaaaaaaa):
Have you spoken with Mrs Lynch recently about the plan for the summer and fall leading up to the elections

Deray Mckesson (@deray):
We spoke two weeks and they want us to start really pushing how racist Trump is now instead of waiting so the others can start getting protesters ready to shut both conventions down.
We have to make sure that we use our voices to keep people disrupting Trump all summer and through the fall so martial can be declared before the election.

Johnetta Elzie(@Nettaaaaaaaa):
They always thought you was playing when you said we could win. Call me later when you're not too busy.

Deray Mckesson (@deray):
If we can get both conventions shut down for messing over Bernie and for having racist Trump, then get martial law declared so Obama can stay in office we will win. Call you soon when I get to my dads so I can use his landline and talk more on this.

[“white ally” named Sam]:
I wanted to touch base with you about the summer of chaos. So far we have over 2,000 people being bused in from different cities and another 6,000 to 8,000 expected to drive into Cleveland for the convention.

They will not be ready for the type of crowds we are bringing in and they will blame Trump for it, especially if we shut it down. The GOP will have to replace him at that point or we will continue the disruption nationwide.

Deray Mckesson (@deray):
I will pass the info along, Good work, Sam. You never let us down. (It's) so important we stop Trump. He will destroy everything we have worked so hard for and we can't trust Hillary. She's never proven she really cares about what we want.

Deray Mckesson (@deray): “…today and he [Sam?] confirmed that there will be around 10,000 protesters disrupting the [Republican] convention. Plans are being made for other cities as well for upcoming Trump events. Ads have already been placed looking for people to help. I know you don’t care for them [white people] but this is the time we need our white allies doing a lot of the work for us. They are the ones who listen the best.”

Johnetta Elzie(@Nettaaaaaaaa): “That will put fear into the GOP and the country when they can’t have their convention for all their racist supporting Trump. We’ve worked too hard and closely with the Obama administration to have that racist ass take it all away and Hillary…. You know I can’t stand those white allies, but yo right this is the best to use them. They hang on every word you say and will do whatever is asked. I just hate all that kiss ass they try to do. Like that changes who they are.”

Deray Mckesson (@deray): “We have a lot of white allies volunteering for Trump’s campaign to pass along information to us before it’s made public so we know when rallies are coming up before they are announced. That way we can plan major disruptions in those cities in advance. We just have to keep our names out of this and let these [white] people do the work for us by pushing how Trump’s racist ways will destroy….”

Johnetta Elzie(@Nettaaaaaaaa): “That’s all those white people are good for in my eyes. I couldn’t imagine even pretending to like that racist ass Trump even to get info on his events. I’ll be glad when we shut his ass down.”

Deray Mckesson (@deray): “With the support we have from Mrs. Lynch and the help we’ve got from Sam and others it won’t be hard to cause enough….”

There are allegations Mrs Lynch refers to United States Attorney General, Loretta Lynch. Pretty sensational if true.
https://twitter.com/deray/status/672869419727454208
https://twitter.com/LorettaLynch/status/672910432424861696

Here is Black Lives Matter leader Deray Mckesson warning of possible DNC and RNC protests in an interview with USA today.
Black Lives Matter leader warns of possible DNC and RNC protests

Last edited:

GabhaDubh

Alleged Leaked Direct Messages from the BlackLivesMatter Leader's Twitter Account

Kershaw, I am suspect of the authenticity of this posting, do you have a link.

Analyzer

The GOP have failed utterly to find a candidate as corrupt as Hillary Clinton.

They have not found anybody who is capable of producing as much failure as server-gate.

And nobody as capable of creating failure on the scale of Benghazi, and then trying to blame it on Us resident Egyptian copts.

In fact none of the GOP candidates had anything near as toxic as the donor list on the Clinton foundation (which "officially" is not involved ).

redacted

I heard him at a rally again boasting that Tyson had endorsed him. How does he expect to make progress with women by saying that about a convicted rapist?
The answer to that is so obvious but appears to be a real blind spot for the Trumpists.

Analyzer

Alleged Leaked Direct Messages from the BlackLivesMatter Leader's Twitter Account suggest they are Preparing for Massive protests at the Republican & Democrat conventions to shut them down.

To move the GOP convention, have a sex festival in the same arena at the same time.

To cancel the Dumbocratic convention, just ask all of Hillary's dodgy donors to show, and the party will not want to be seen with them in public....

GabhaDubh

Talked with a American friend of Irish descent from Ohio today, his oldest son is in the reserves. Three months ago they were informed that they will be working the security detail for the convention in Cleveland.

caledhel

Trump's odds have shortened

Dame_Enda

GOP may soften language about LGBT people but probably won't endorse gay marriage.

Anti Trumpers maneuvering to have the right to reject Trumps VP pick.

New Threads

Most Replies