• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Gordon Banks RIP

hollandia

at that time, a downward header like that would have been thought as being unsaveable. The beginning of the golden age of British goalkeeping, and a fitting follower to Lev Yashin as the greatest goalkeeper in the world.

statsman

at that time, a downward header like that would have been thought as being unsaveable. The beginning of the golden age of British goalkeeping, and a fitting follower to Lev Yashin as the greatest goalkeeper in the world.
The story is that Banks was asked why he was laughing when Brazil were getting ready to take the corner, and he said that it was because Bobby Moore had said to him 'you're getting old, you used to hold on to those'. ;)

rainmaker

Administrator

hollandia

The story is that Banks was asked why he was laughing when Brazil were getting ready to take the corner, and he said that it was because Bobby Moore had said to him 'you're getting old, you used to hold on to those'. ;)
There was a brief extract on t'radio this morning from an after dinner speech he gave, talking about that save. He explained at great length about the difficulty of making the save, how he needed to shape his position, and the fact that even a slight misjudgement would see the ball in the back of the net, and that he needed to do all this without crashing head first into the post and break his fall at the same time. When he saw the ball go around the post he thought, "Banksie, you're one lucky f***er..."

Levellers

One of the great goalies. But, for me, Peter Shilton and Pat Jennings were better.

hollandia

One of the great goalies. But, for me, Peter Shilton and Pat Jennings were better.
Wot - no Clemence? I'd rate Clemence far more highly than Shilton. And I'd rate Neville Southall far more highly than Peter Shilton.

statsman

Jennings remains the best I've ever seen in the flesh. And that includes Banks. Peter Bonetti was better than Shilton.

Last edited:

Skin the Goat

neveragain

Our George made him look a bit silly.

[video=youtube;2D8IW_3_6D8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D8IW_3_6D8[/video]

CatullusV

Jennings remains the best I've ever seen in the flesh. And that includes Banks. Peter Bonetti was better than Shilton.
Schmeichel needs some recognition too. He borrowed from other sports, which was innovative. His star jump was borrowed from Olympic handball.

The thing about being a great 'keeper is that it's not just about the big saves. By far the biggest impact on a match is marshaling your defence and utterly owning the area of the pitch which is yours.

Banks had that assertive control in organizing his defence.

statsman

Schmeichel needs some recognition too. He borrowed from other sports, which was innovative. His star jump was borrowed from Olympic handball.

The thing about being a great 'keeper is that it's not just about the big saves. By far the biggest impact on a match is marshaling your defence and utterly owning the area of the pitch which is yours.

Banks had that assertive control in organizing his defence.
All true.

Telstar 62

A class act.

He played in the days when the world’s best goalkeeper could spend an entire career
playing for Leicester and Stoke.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies