Gormley admits that his Government is a bunch of lunatics who need a straitjacket

dresden8

Falling apart, wringing hands, big hair, giving out about "no win situation" and "sleepless nights".

Well that's why you're on the big bucks with the huge pension mother************************************.

If you can't stand the heat you should have gotten out of the kitchen two years ago.

No sympathy, go, go now.

cYp: I changed title based on this:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1130/gilmore.html
The Minister for the Environment, John Gormley, has compared being in Government during the current economic crisis to being in an asylum.
Mr Gormley made the comments during a Dáil during the debate on the EU/IMF programme for Ireland.
Mr Gormley said the Opposition had said the deal was like a 'straitjacket', and said it was an apt metaphor.

Last edited by a moderator:

dustin

Said nothing about the people that will be made homeless, because of his Goverment

sport02

Accepts the incoming goverment will be entering into an asylum, poor thing, maybe he should vacate goverment earlier than scheduled.

ellie08

I don't know what he's complaining about, nothing will happen him and he'll be financially secure for the rest of his life. Is that not enough for them? Are we supposed to love and respect them as well? ffs.

Freedom front

I don't know what he's complaining about, nothing will happen him and he'll be financially secure for the rest of his life. Is that not enough for them? Are we supposed to love and respect them as well? ffs.
Lets take his Pension away , why should a person employed by this state get a far more generous pension than other citizens?

Alexis Colby

WTF??
just put him into an actual asylum
he would'nt last long with the €200k p.a or car following him 24/7

PrinceMax

Said nothing about the people that will be made homeless, because of his Goverment
Which people would they be? The people who borrowed money to buy houses they couldn't afford?

As unfortunate as it all is, it isn't 100% the government's fault.

sport02

Which people would they be? The people who borrowed money to buy houses they couldn't afford?

As unfortunate as it all is, it isn't 100% the government's fault.
The goverment are in the driving seat, they are travelling at the wrong speed and in the wrong direction, they are more culpabale than anyone else.

havesomeimagination

how about the 50,000+ people still on a housing waiting list while there are 300,000 empty houses in the state - if that isn't an indictment of our system I don't know what is...

PrinceMax

The goverment are in the driving seat, they are travelling at the wrong speed and in the wrong direction, they are more culpabale than anyone else.

That may be so, but all the property madness where everyone thought they could buy multiple homes and be millionaires happened before Gormley got into government. There was nothing that could be done to stop it by 2007.

Mushroom

A genuine pleasure to watch Gormless revealing that he's not capable of playing Under 9s camogie, let alone Senior Hurling.

Did I see Eamon Ryan putting his head in his hands at one point during that prolonged whine?

sport02

That may be so, but all the property madness where everyone thought they could buy multiple homes and be millionaires happened before Gormley got into government. There was nothing that could be done to stop it by 2007.
He had plenty of time to self check himself out of the asylum since then, and hasn't, I have no sympathy for the man.

H.R. Haldeman

Anger with the Greens is disproportionate to their level of blame for this mess. Seems to me that's down to a wider and incorrect perception that our problems started either on the day the Greens entered coalition or perhaps sometime in late September 2008. Truth is, the catastrophe was locked-in way before both those dates. The corollary of all this is that Bertie Ahern's culpability is downplayed somewhat.

neiphin

sorry

breakingnews

Had to laugh at the sleepness nights comment - wasn't he fast asleep the night of the bank guarantee, a garda had to knock at the door to wake him up...and once he gave the go ahead, he went back asleep.

dresden8

Anger with the Greens is disproportionate to their level of blame for this mess. Seems to me that's down to a wider and incorrect perception that our problems started either on the day the Greens entered coalition or perhaps sometime in late September 2008. Truth is, the catastrophe was locked-in way before both those dates. The corollary of all this is that Bertie Ahern's culpability is downplayed somewhat.
The greens aren't responsible for the problem, they are responsible for landing us all with the fallout.

PrinceMax

Ya dont forget the banks insane borrowings and lending they deserve some blame too..
Indeed.

The government has made a lot of bad decisions since the crisis unfolded, but to be honest, I'm starting to wonder how much they could possibly have known about the poor state the banks were in to begin with. For that matter, how much did the guys at the top in banks actually know? You only have to look at Banks like Barings and Soc Generale to see how much freedom those lower down seem to be allowed. And these things only seem to be discovered once the damage is done.

New Threads

Most Replies