Gormley Election call now looks so foolish

jacko

Lets remind ourselves what Gormless said 13 days ago

But we have now reached a point where the Irish people need political certainty to take them beyond the coming two months. So, we believe it is time to fix a date for a general election in the second half of January 2011
Green Party calls for New Year election / Latest news / News / Home - Green Party / Comhaontas Glas

now lets look at what a government source said in the SINDO today

government sources said the election would be called in late February or early March
SF swing can make Gilmore Taoiseach - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

If nothing else you cant but admire Cowen for simply ignoring Gormley knowing that the greens dont have the balls to do anything about it !

DuineEile

All that does is give Gormley an opportunity to pull the plug and claim credit. Stupid politics by FF. if I was Gormless, I would withdraw from Govt. on my terms after the budget and make whatever limited capital I could out of it.

If course, if I was me, I want the plug pulled right now before the budget to avoid these FF idiots framing our politics and economy for the next decade.
D

Mushroom

The use of the words "Gormley" and "foolish" in the thread title is tautology - both words mean exactly the same thing.

olamp

He must feel humiliated as Cowen has totally ignored him on this one.

Mushroom

LgCastell

FG should push a motion having the Dail sit over december to start finance and related bills and tell greens that if they are to have their jan election they'll have to support it

sport02

Brian Cowen and his lot keep telling us they are putting the country first, and also that this budget being passed is in the national interest, how come FG and Labour can't publically agree with FF, if we abstain from the budget and allow it pass, in return have the finance bill passed by late Jan and a GE called.

It seems Sinn Fein are the only part that does pro-activeness.

Sue Donim

FG should push a motion having the Dail sit over december to start finance and related bills and tell greens that if they are to have their jan election they'll have to support it
They did - it was the purpose of a FG private members motion debated in the Dáil last Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Result - the Govt - including the mouldy vegetables voted for an alternative motion of their own concoction that ignored the call and they will go on till March at the earliest.

Last edited:

sic transit

The Finance Bill is as always complex and then there's the Social Welfare Bill. Better to get those right first.

sport02

The Finance Bill is as always complex and then there's the Social Welfare Bill. Better to get those right first.
However complex it maybe, if the shower of lazy bloody politicans, worked more over the christmas break, long hours into the night, and got it passed.
The Dail should not be a picnic or a stroll in the park, we are in a crisis with an utter inept goverment, all of them get of ther backsides, and get down to work.

Mitsui2

The use of the words "Gormley" and "foolish" in the thread title is tautology - both words mean exactly the same thing.
But the use of the words "admire" and "Cowen" in the last sentence of the OP is oxymoronic, and sort of cancels it out.

He3

What election?

So far it is only talk. Now FF is telling journalists it might not happen before April. They can still command the votes to see them through to 2012. That is the fact, the rest is comment.

That is what makes the uniform chorus in the mainstream media this weekend that the Budget must pass (even if it calls for the murder of firstborn children) so interesting. Pass the budget and the government that chose to burn Ireland rather than the banks can stay put indefinitely.

Last edited:

laidback

Maybe it is relevant to note that if the Dail changes the normal long Xmas New Year break in line with the few days the ordinary worker gets, then TDs cannot claim extra(tax free) turning up money.

The new regime laid down a rate for the year, depending on where you live, which is paid automatically with your salary with no need to claim. Once TDs have clocked in the required no of days (80% of sitting days) there's no financial benefit in turning up...

If they decide to change their hols to get the Finance Bill through, I wouldn't put it past them to change the turning up money rules for this year in the 'special circumstances' so - heaven forbid - they didn't lose out!

SideysGhost

Exactly He3. I can't honestly believe the childlike idiocy of the pseudo-Opposition on this. Pass this Budget and FF will be going nowhere - and they'll have a massive trump card to play in 2012 "ah shurra isn't it our four year plan agreed wit Europe, shurra how d'ye expect themmuns to implement our plan, them wit no experience, going forward? Better the divil ye know lads, ye know we'll see ye right at t'end o the day, here's somethin for yerself big lad"

40% of the vote easy. And yeah, the electorate are that fuppin stupid.

This Govt has to go now, before the budget. Hell, this Govt should have been gone at any point in the last 2 years, but FG and Lab wanted to put party before country themselves, wanted to sit it out and let FF have to bring in damaging cuts in the hope the moronic electorate would never forgive FF. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

All they've managed to do is leave the electorate disillusioned, frustrated and seriously questioning the fundamental legitimacy of the entire cosy stinking parasitical set-up.

jacko

if the greens had any balls and stuck to their announcement then they'd vote through the excise measures on Tuesday night and the emergency financial resolutions bill on wed week (giving effect to dole, tax changes etc) and then resign !

Election on 14th of January !

anfieldabff

if the greens had any balls and stuck to their announcement then they'd vote through the excise measures on Tuesday night and the emergency financial resolutions bill on wed week (giving effect to dole, tax changes etc) and then resign !

Election on 14th of January !
People are holding their powder dry because they think/know an election is in the offing. If the greens have a change of heart then you will see the kind of social unrest that was seen in Greece.
IMHO there is a smoldering anger in the Irish people that only the promise of an election is holding back.
Beware the quiet man!!!!

Johnny

What election?

So far it is only talk. Now FF is telling journalists it might not happen before April. They can still command the votes to see them through to 2012. That is the fact, the rest is comment.

That is what makes the uniform chorus in the mainstream media this weekend that the Budget must pass (even if it calls for the murder of firstborn children) so interesting. Pass the budget and the government that chose to burn Ireland rather than the banks can stay put indefinitely.

Surely the two bye-elections will put a stop to this charade, no? I'd imagine the Veggies will have gone overboard by then.

Barnacle

The Motion FG put down last week was poor, whether it was ill though out or deliberate, I have not made up my mind. Following this motion being effectively voted down the FF, The Greens and some Independents, the announcements was made that the Dáil would be breaking up as normal for Christmas. Sure even during the debate on the Motion, Dara Callery said that the budgetary process could take two or three months taking us into April and the Greens still stuck to FF's side on their amendment.

What Labour or FG need to do if they want to put their money where their mouth is, is put down a no frills motion only with details of Dáil sitting days to say all days to 22nd December and returning on 3rd January as they did back in 1922.

Popular Threads

Most Replies