• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Goverment to Introduce Anti Begging Laws

mccafferty cat

Cracking down on begging, at the beginning of a crippling recession and record unemployment....

Great to see FF moving to solve the REAL problems we have.......

Don't we already have a Vagrancy Act? What's wrong with this? It may have been introduced in Dickensian times but the powers it grants can't really be added to in any meaningful way

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
This is most welcome. There is a woman on the streets of Wexford town for 20 years, and I have been informed by someone who knows her that she owns a home. In that context, she is just being a nuisance, and is behaving in an undignified and nuisancical matter. I also believe that illegal-immigrants found to be begging should be summarily deported. I am also firmly of the belief that most beggars and 'homeless' people are in fact not homeless in the strict definition of that term. Many are mentally-ill, and belong in an institution.

scsa1981

Its about time. I am sick and tired of seeing gypsy Roma scum shove babies in my face and demand money. Dublin city centre is absolutely infested with these vermin. Imagine putting your child through that? I also see small Roma boys put out on the streets to beg. Why arent their parents arrested for this? It's getting more like Calcutta by the day. The top of Grace Park Road in Dublin 9where the sign for the airport is also very bad with Roma gangs of 3 or 4 surrounding cars demanding money.

PhoenixIreland

Website
www.huffingtonpost.com
I thought this was already illegal? I've seen cops move on beggers before.

If you want to help homeless people donate to a homeless charity, handing them money either gets them drug or drink money or give is to someone whos having you on and is not actually homeless.

Its about time. I am sick and tired of seeing gypsy Roma scum shove babies in my face and demand money. Dublin city centre is absolutely infested with these vermin. Imagine putting your child through that? I also see small Roma boys put out on the streets to beg. Why arent their parents arrested for this? It's getting more like Calcutta by the day. The top of Grace Park Road in Dublin 9where the sign for the airport is also very bad with Roma gangs of 3 or 4 surrounding cars demanding money.
because the fathers send the mothers out to do it, and the mothers either send the kids or use the kids as bait.

mccafferty cat

This is most welcome. There is a woman on the streets of Wexford town for 20 years, and I have been informed by someone who knows her that she owns a home. In that context, she is just being a nuisance, and is behaving in an undignified and nuisancical matter. I also believe that illegal-immigrants found to be begging should be summarily deported. I am also firmly of the belief that most beggars and 'homeless' people are in fact not homeless in the strict definition of that term. Many are mentally-ill, and belong in an institution.
Yeah.......

Personally though, I think the problem of begging on our streets is being caused by the unelected European elites who just won't take No for an answer. These proposals on begging are an affront to democracy, and the notion that they can be put before the people again is being disrespectful to democracy.

Furthermore, the Charter of Fundamental rights promotes begging in all its forms, and condemns children as young as 3 to head out on the streets. Only when this pro-begging Charter is removed from Lisbon, can we vote Yes

Defeated Romanticist

I thought the law against begging was striken down as unconstitutional by Justice De Valera a year or two ago...

This is ofcourse welcome. The partisan quibbling of the bleeding heart(!) blueshirts to one side. Far from being the ast resort of the poverty striken, some of the most troubling begging is by children and women of which little of the money stays with them.

Aindriu

It is about flaming time too!! They should also allow drivers to run down any beggar on the roads - traffic lights, roundabouts etc.

Conor

Don't we already have a Vagrancy Act? What's wrong with this? It may have been introduced in Dickensian times but the powers it grants can't really be added to in any meaningful way
I thought the law against begging was striken down as unconstitutional by Justice De Valera a year or two ago...
It was, there's a quick bit about it here. It'll be interesting to see how this new bill gets round that judgement.

alltheway

This is ofcourse welcome. The partisan quibbling of the bleeding heart(!) blueshirts to one side. Far from being the ast resort of the poverty striken, some of the most troubling begging is by children and women of which little of the money stays with them.
Can you not just reply to a thread without having ago with someone?

CookieMonster

Just saw this on the RTE website

RTÉ News: New laws to crack down on begging

Not sure how i feel about this and by that i mean, how many of those people begging want to be begging?
Are we just trying to cover up a problem with poverty?
I'm having the same reaction. While beggers are a pain in the hoop, I don't believe all of them are there because they want to be. They should be doing more to combat the causes underlying the need to beg before the start criminalising beggers. Making them criminals as well as thking away their access to cash (for whatever reason) isn't going to help solve the problem.

Anorakphobia

Does this new law extend to FF and/or their disgraced former leader going out begging for billions off shady hedge funds to bail them out of their own incompetence?

KungFugazi

Its petty begging that is usually more of an annoyance than anything else. What is the government going to do about big time beggars/thieving scumbags? Answer: absolutely nothing,in this jokeshop country big time beggars/thieving scumbags tend to get honorary doctorates and awards. Its a topsy turvy world.

Bertie Ahern presented with award for contribution to security in Ireland - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

corelli

Yeah.......

Personally though, I think the problem of begging on our streets is being caused by the unelected European elites who just won't take No for an answer. These proposals on begging are an affront to democracy, and the notion that they can be put before the people again is being disrespectful to democracy.

Furthermore, the Charter of Fundamental rights promotes begging in all its forms, and condemns children as young as 3 to head out on the streets. Only when this pro-begging Charter is removed from Lisbon, can we vote Yes
I presume you are joking?

zakalwe1

i thought they got plum state appointed jobs (cus they were me mates)!

hang on, that for the patrons of beggers, the beggers themselves become taoiseach!

Dillinger

I don't find them that much of a nuisance to be bringing in new laws and wasting Gardai time.

I think they are one of the reasons why Obama's campaign was so successfull. I heard, that he turned to one, one day and asked him "what do we need ?".

Yes, I am bored today.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies