Government acting unconstitutionally presents Conflict of Interest for Army & Gardai

EUrJokingMeRight

The government is clearly frustrating and blocking the constitutional rights of the People of Ireland.

It would be interesting to know if the powers that be in Gardai and the Army continue to stand idly by and aid and abet this government in their continued unconstitutional behavior?

The High Court has ruled: "it is the ongoing failure to move the writ for this by-election since June 2009 which offends the terms and spirit of the Constitution and its framework for democratic representation."

Members of the Gardai and the Army both swore an oath to the people and the CONSTITUTION of Ireland.

Army: I do solemnly swear that I will be faithful to Ireland and loyal to the Constitution and that while I am a man of the Reserve Defence Force I will obey all lawful orders issued to me by my superior officers and will not join or be a member of or subscribe to any secret society whatsoever"

Gardai: "I hereby solemnly and sincerely declare before God that—

-I will faithfully discharge the duties of a member of the Garda Síochána with fairness, integrity, regard for human rights, diligence and impartiality, upholding the Constitution and the laws and according equal respect to all people,

-while I continue to be a member, I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all my duties according to law, and

-I do not belong to, and will not while I remain a member form, belong to or subscribe to, any political party or secret society whatsoever.”.

How do the Gardai and the Army feel about this recent course of action by our government in light of yesterdays court ruling?
Neither the gardai nor the army have swore any oath to the government.

Clearly the government IS NOT the constitution. It is the Constitution to which both organisations and members owe a duty primarily, even over the laws of the land.

How do senior figures in both organisations feel about this situation?
How do rank & file members feel?

alonso

Hey odie!!! I have to admit the thought of the gardai and Army "standing down" had crossed my mind as well. If they themselves oppose this government, the question raised by the OP is relevant, is it not?

Superindigoman

If this was happening in many other places we would be experencing a military coup now, but not Ireland of course, barstool revolution, ha

Dohville

Ah the Army and Gardai have been successfully castrated by government policy for decades.
They won't be doing anything rash.,

Sierra

If this was happening in many other places we would be experencing a military coup now, but not Ireland of course, barstool revolution, ha
Silly statement considering when you take our history into account. Alas, one would have to agree with you however that we are a passive nation compared to long ago.

FrankSpeaks

To the OP:

I hate pointing out the obvious to you and the fact is the High Court is not the Highest Court in the land. The government is entitled to appeal the ruling to the Supreme Court, like Doh!:confused:

EUrJokingMeRight

To the OP:

I hate pointing out the obvious to you and the fact is the High Court is not the Highest Court in the land. The government is entitled to appeal the ruling to the Supreme Court, like Doh!:confused:
Point out the obvious if you so wish. And hey, if it makes you feel a little bit better about yourself and even a little smarter, then great. Just to add to your 'doh' I am sure everyone here has heard of the supreme court, but thanks for drawing our attention to it.

A decision has not been made by the supreme court yet, but for now a court has ruled that the actions of the government flies in the face of the spirit of the constitution. I am interested in the opinions of member of both national security forces and how they feel about the situation. They swore an oath to the constitution, not the government and certainly not bill and ben the flower pot men. Hence the security forces should not have any allegiance to ANY sitting government, if said government frustrates the application of the constitution.

With respect it is a very serious matter and I do not raise the point lightly.

I would hope you would see that.

Grumpy Jack

The writ has been moved re Donegal South West and the bye-election is at the end of this month therefore your question does not arise.

As regards Dublin South and Waterford, the writs were moved in the Dail today and defeted by the government parties Dail votes, so again the constitution has not been breached. Again, the question you raise is moot.

EUrJokingMeRight

The writ has been moved re Donegal South West and the bye-election is at the end of this month therefore your question does not arise.

As regards Dublin South and Waterford, the writs were moved in the Dail today and defeted by the government parties Dail votes, so again the constitution has not been breached. Again, the question you raise is moot.
No it is not a moot point. Many people in the land feel the government are deliberately frustrating the constitutional rights of the people.

The government defeated the writs. A proud day indeed.

The writs were to allow people their democratic right.
You confuse the votes of a body of chancers to deny people that right with the sovereignty of our constitution, which must be protected by those who swore an oath to do so.

EUrJokingMeRight

Don't know about the gardai but the President not the Government is Supreme Commander of the Army.
That does not matter. Members of the army must only obey orders from their superiors if they are Lawful. Unconstitutional orders are unlawful and any soldier has the right to disobey such an order and to protect the constitution which is their 'Primary' duty.

gweedore

That does not matter. Members of the army must only obey orders from their superiors if they are Lawful. Unconstitutional orders are unlawful and any soldier has the right to disobey such an order and to protect the constitution which is their 'Primary' duty.
sorry can't hear you'll have to speak louder

SideysGhost

I know a junior officer in the Army. This very conversation has come up at times over the last year or so as the sheer scale of the damage this Govt is doing became increasingly apparent to everybody.

It's not as fanciful as some people think that the Army may refuse orders from a Govt that is clearly acting against the Constitution. Not likely in the short term of course but if this shower continue with their carry-on....I really don't think Clowen and Lendahand have any clue about the dangers of the box of matches they are playing with.

nonpartyboy

New Threads

Most Replies