• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Government complains about Czech President talking to Irishman

He3

THE GOVERNMENT has complained to the Czech embassy about a decision by Czech president Václav Klaus to meet Declan Ganley on a state visit to Ireland next week.

A true story

Just to recap. on the personalities here:

Declan Ganley (whose name is an anagram of Langley Dance, Langley being the CIA HQ, a fact surprisingly not yet reported by the Irish Times) is said to be a CIA stooge, promoting a dastardly US military agenda to scupper Lisbon.

The Czech President is a head of State whose Prime Minister has said that unless Parliament allows the US to station anti-missile radar on Czech soil, his country will not ratify Lisbon.

The Lisbon treaty is one which will either undermine US hegemony or else be used to promote it, depending on what you believe. It is a challenge to believe both propostitions simultaneously.

If Ganley met Klaus - well, who knows what might happen?

Music can be a valuable communication tool in times of fraught emotions, and this song seems about right - if you squint at the singer on the screen you can just about convince yourself it is someone in our Government ...

[ame="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=welnlg3svTw"]YouTube - No Doubt - Don't Speak[/ame]

Last edited:

ibis

Well, He3, we don't want foreigners interfering in our domestic affairs, if you remember.

ibis

Well, He3, we don't want foreigners interfering in our domestic affairs, if you remember.
Yep, but we're protesting to them, not the other way round. They must be rattled....
Not really - a eurosceptic foreign bigwig is meeting a rich Irish eurosceptic. I'm afraid all you mean is that it's the right way round from your point of view.

MookieBaylock

So what? Two foreigners (a Brit and a Czech) meeting to discuss Ireland - I'm sure it happens all the time.

The goverment really shouldn't have bothered getting involved in this.

MookieBaylock

So what? Two foreigners (a Brit and a Czech) meeting to discuss Ireland - I'm sure it happens all the time.

Electro

I'm a bit incredulous to believe that the US and its CIA would not have derailed Lisbon/EUC long before the Irish vote.

I maintain that Lisbon/EUC was and still is favourable to the US Military-Industrial Complex, CIA, etc. Ganley's overtures about a new Supranational EU Constitution based on "more democratic values" (which he hasn't defined) would probably fit the bill aswell.

Last edited:

forest

it doesnt make any sense for the Czech president to meet Declan on a state visit
Libertas are not a political party have no TDs MEP
He he just trying to rattle the boat

ibis

I don't support Libertas, I comment merely on the Government's feeling the need to complain...
Ah - for some reason I keep forgetting about the government. Were they on the Yes side? I don't recall them as such. Have they said something stupid? Is that news?

No, I'm commenting on the amazing lack of outrage. The foreign head of state holding the current Presidency of the Council comes over and meets our elected government and immediately there's a deafening chorus of howls about 'bullying', 'collusion', 'interference', 'unrepresentative' and all that.

But let the foreign head of state who will next hold the Presidency come here and meet with an unelected Irish power broker and.....nothing. It's all good, eh? Even though:

Mr Klaus met Mr Ganley in Prague in July after the defeat of the treaty and offered him support to launch Libertas as a pan-EU political party. He declared the treaty "dead" following the Irish vote in June and is threatening not to give his presidential signature to the treaty to complete ratification in the Czech Republic.
Can people genuinely not see how that is foreign interference?

Last edited:
Ah - for some reason I keep forgetting about the government. Were they on the Yes side? I don't recall them as such. Have they said something stupid? Is that news?

No, I'm commenting on the amazing lack of outrage. The guy holding the current Presidency of the EU comes over and meets our elected government and immediately there's a deafening chorus of howls about 'bullying', 'collusion', 'interference', 'unrepresentative' and all that.

But let a foreign head of state come here and meet with an unelected Irish power broker and.....nothing. It's all good, eh?
I speak only for myself, I had no problem with Sarkozy visiting and meeting our alpha-monkeys, I did have a problem with some of the stuff he came out with after the result (and after the recent bank guarantee). That's all.

He3

I speak only for myself, I had no problem with Sarkozy visiting and meeting our alpha-monkeys, I did have a problem with some of the stuff he came out with after the result (and after the recent bank guarantee). That's all.

Yes. Some of us also found his running to the law over a voodoo doll amusing enough to merit a comment on this thread.. As Sego Royal says, you need a sense of humour sometimes.

He3

ibis

It's a state visit - a government-to-government visit, in other words. Declan Ganley isn't part of the government last time I looked.

Trampas

It's a state visit - a government-to-government visit, in other words. Declan Ganley isn't part of the government last time I looked.

But of course politicians on state visits meet all sorts of people, including other politicians, business people, ex-pats etc. Of what are they afraid ?

Last edited:

ibis

But of course politicans on state visits meet all sorts of people, including other politicans, business people, ex-pats etc. Of what are they afraid ?
They do so indeed - they don't host dinners for them as part of the official visit, which is what seems to be happening here.

We're talking about the equivalent of Sarkozy holding a dinner for the Alliance for Europe. That would generate outrage - why am I not surprised that this doesn't?

southwestkerry

May be the Czech president wants to piss off Fine Fall's :) after they {the Czechs} offer off a few fighter jets a few years back [after 9/11] was rebuked with the 2 fingers. After all the jets on offer were dead cheap and by all accounts the offer was an honest one. Any way thats my theory. :)

McDave

That's fair enough except that Klaus is on a state visit. I think it's rank bad manners and truly petty to rub the Irish State's nose in it by meeting DG after this fashion. Klaus knows exactly what he's doing.

If he really wants to meet DG in Ireland he should come on a separate occasion. Instead all he will succeed in doing is affronting middle ground moderates who see this behaviour as a gratuitous slight. Klaus isn't really doing any long-term favours to the No to Lisbon cause here.

Last edited:

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
What annoys the govt about this is that it underlines that we are not alone in not ratifying Lisbon. It is a sad day when the Irish govt has less respect for our democratic decision than a foreign politician. Fair play to Klaus and Ganley.

jfk2008

It's ignorant behaviour on the part of an invited guest of the government.

If Klaus wants to meet with Declan Ganley he should do it on his own time, not when he's on an official state visit to Ireland.

Imagine if Brian Cowen was invited to the Czech Republic on an official state visit and spent time hosting an official dinner with an unelected Czech businessman opposed to official government policy as his guest, discussing a strategy to undermine that policy.

I think the Czech government would rightly protest and tell Cowen where to get off.