• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Government 'concerned' about jump in number of visa applications from the UK

Dame_Enda

Last year, 10,000 visa applications were made, in comparison to just 1,800 in 2014. It appears to be linked to provisions of the Freedom of Movement Directive allowing travel by relatives to EU citizens. In seems to be linked to the relatives or spouses of naturalised EU citizens living in the UK - a likely reaction to Brexit.

As members may know, there are long running scams involving Pakistani men paying thousands of euros to Latvian women to get into the EU.

Should the Irish govt use the Brexit negotiations to push for changes to the Freedom of Movement Directive?

Last edited:

Catalpast

Last year, 10,000 visa applications were made, in comparison to just 1,800 in 2014. It appears to be linked to provisions of the Freedom of Movement Directive allowing travel by relatives to EU citizens. In seems to be linked to the relatives or spouses of naturalised EU citizens living in the UK - a likely reaction to Brexit.

As members may know, there are long running scams involving Pakistani men paying thousands of euros to Latvian women to get into the EU.

Should the Irish govt use the Brexit negotiations to push for changes to the Freedom of Movement Directive?
They should - but they wont

'Family Re Unification' project means that any person granted an Irish citizenship

- is likely to pull in another 3 to 6 mouths to feed on top of their own....

Dame_Enda

This happened in 2015. Its inevitable the numbers will absolutely explode following Brexit actually becoming a reality.

A repeat of 2004 must not be allowed.

Spanner Island

Our bunch of degenerates are just salivating at the prospect of loads of business heading our way from London and elsewhere...

Apparently interest is strong if you believe the talking heads on the box...

If true this will put upward pressure on house prices and everything else... which is all we need really in the midst of a housing crisis like we are... and then of course there's the possibility that all we'll get is a load of w*nker bankers being moved here... and if there's one thing no country needs it's more w*nker bankers.

I don't understand the OP though... visa applications by whom and for what?

Passport applications I could understand... but visa applications???

sport02

Did anyone in the media ever follow up on this story from last year?
Young Pakistani men flee UK and flood into Ireland - Independent.ie

It's amazing how all the papers, the Journal, Newstalk and RTÉ bombard us with Direct Provision sob stories week in week out, yet I have not seen the above story properly tackled by the media.

You'd think there would be atleast one investigative journalist in RTÉ that could look at the story, infact I don't believe RTÉ have even touched the story yet.

Spirit Of Newgrange

when da brits shut their doors, the irish will receive the tsunami of immigrants.

former wesleyan

A blather thread. For scaremongering racists.

Dame_Enda

We should demand id checks at Irish sea ports including between Mainland UK and NI. Historically Unionists have resisted this but they need to recognise policing the ports is a lot simpler than policing the land border.

mangaire2

We should demand id checks at Irish sea ports including between Mainland UK and NI. Historically Unionists have resisted this but they need to recognise policing the ports is a lot simpler than policing the land border.
of course the Brits will have strict "id checks" at the ports between "Mainland UK and NI",
it will be a lot more practical than trying to control the land border between the Six & twenty Six Counties,
but the id checks will be to control immigration INTO BRITAIN.

Notachipanoaktree

They don't give a rats as*s about OUR land border. But you and yours carry on fuc*king up every thing you look at never mind touch. Low IQ graduates are dangerous imbeciles...............in charge.

Kershaw

yeah, what is all this about?

THERE HAS BEEN a rise in the number of applications from non-EU nationals for Irish visas.

The applications are submitted by “qualifying family members” who wish to travel to Ireland under the terms of a European directive allowing EU citizens and their family members to move and reside freely within a member state.

It’s likely some of the “qualifying family members” applying to Ireland have relatives currently living in the UK while some other applicants have UK citizenship.
So because non-EU nationals just have relatives living in the UK and are not even citizens, they can apply for Irish citizenship? What??? The mother of some Chinese guy doing the English school visa farm scam in England is applying for Irish citizenship now?

That's on top of relatives of non-EU nationals with UK citizenship applying for Irish citizenship?

I would have thought even EU nationals would have to live here before applying for Irish citizenship and now I find out someone in Pakistan can apply for Irish citizenship just because they have a sister living in Bradford?

What is going on?

Whatever is going on, nobody will do anything about. Frances Fitzgerald might put on her best concerned face but she won't actually do anything about it. She probably secretly welcomes it. They love mass immigration to prop-up their ponzi scheme economy, undermine the labour market and inflate housing prices.

livingstone

Where does it say anything about family members of naturalised citizens?

There's nothing I can find that says this is driven by family members of UK citizens who were naturalised compared to UK citizens who were natural born citizens.

livingstone

yeah, what is all this about?

So because non-EU nationals just have relatives living in the UK and are not even citizens, they can apply for Irish citizenship? What??? The mother of some Chinese guy doing the English school visa farm scam in England is applying for Irish citizenship now?
No. It is family of citizens, not residents, who have the right to apply for residency. They do not have any automatic right to apply for citizenship.

That's on top of relatives of non-EU nationals with UK citizenship applying for Irish citizenship?
Having UK citizenship and being a non-EU national are mutually exclusive. If someone has UK citizenship, they are an EU national.

I would have thought even EU nationals would have to live here before applying for Irish citizenship and now I find out someone in Pakistan can apply for Irish citizenship just because they have a sister living in Bradford?

What is going on?
No - you didn't find that out.

If someone in Pakistan has a sister living in Bradford, there are a number of questions to be answered about what his rights in respect of Ireland are:

(1) is the sister a UK citizen? If not, he has no particular rights compared to anyone else from Pakistan;
(2) is he dependent on the sister? Being her brother isn't enough - the Free Movement Directive only applies to specific types of family members, and siblings are only covered in limited circumstances.

Aside from all of that, let's assume his sister is a UK citizen. And let's assume he is her dependent, and so covered by the Free Movement Directive. That still does not give either her or him an automatic right to Irish citizenship. As an EU citizen, she would have the right to move to Ireland, and after being here for a period of time - I think five years - she could then apply for citizenship. As long as he's covered by the Directive, he would have the right to join her in Ireland - but again, would only be eligible for citizenship when he meets all of the residency requirements.

Whatever is going on, nobody will do anything about. Frances Fitzgerald might put on her best concerned face but she won't actually do anything about it. She probably secretly welcomes it. They love mass immigration to prop-up their ponzi scheme economy, undermine the labour market and inflate housing prices.
But you've literally just demonstrated that you don't understand what the directive in question means.

Kershaw

No. It is family of citizens, not residents, who have the right to apply for residency. They do not have any automatic right to apply for citizenship.
The report says:

Some of the “qualifying family members” applying to Ireland have relatives currently living in the UK and the report differentiates those people from other applicants who have UK citizenship.

Both groups are applying for Irish citizenship despite their relatives either having only British citizenship or not having it at all and are just living there.

livingstone

The report says:

Some of the “qualifying family members” applying to Ireland have relatives currently living in the UK and the report differentiates those people from other applicants who have UK citizenship.

Both groups are applying for Irish citizenship despite their relatives either having only British citizenship or not having it at all and are just living there.
No they're not.

Firstly, applying for a visa is not the same as applying for citizenship.

Secondly, the report can say what it likes: the Directive only applies to non-EU citizens who are qualifying family members of EU citizens.

Let's look at what the report does say though:

The applications are submitted by “qualifying family members” who wish to travel to Ireland under the terms of a European directive allowing EU citizens and their family members to move and reside freely within a member state.
It’s likely some of the “qualifying family members” applying to Ireland have relatives currently living in the UK while some other applicants have UK citizenship.
It is very clear that it applies to EU citizens and their family members.

livingstone

It's not clear at all.

It says some have relatives currently living in the UK.
Others have UK citizenship.

I'd like to hear more about what is going on.
I've told you what the directive allows.

The report tells you what the directive allows.

Google will tell you what the directive allows.

If you are the relative of a non-EU citizen who happens to be resident in the EU, you do not have any right under EU law to reside in the EU (of course individual countries might choose to offer residency rights if they so choose - but it's not provided for in EU law).

The Free Movement Directive only applies to qualifying family members (who are not EU citizens) of EU citizens. I don't know how much clearer I can make it, and if you don't believe me, why don't you go and read the directive yourself?

Kershaw

I've told you what the directive allows.

The report tells you what the directive allows.

Google will tell you what the directive allows.

If you are the relative of a non-EU citizen who happens to be resident in the EU, you do not have any right under EU law to reside in the EU (of course individual countries might choose to offer residency rights if they so choose - but it's not provided for in EU law).

The Free Movement Directive only applies to qualifying family members (who are not EU citizens) of EU citizens. I don't know how much clearer I can make it, and if you don't believe me, why don't you go and read the directive yourself?
so who are the qualifying family members?

livingstone

so who are the qualifying family members?
Children under 21 of either the citizen or their spouse (or over 21 if they are dependent).
Spouses or civil partners of the citizen.
Parents or grandparents of the citizen or the spouse but only where they are a dependent.

Other family members (e.g. siblings) can qualify but only exceptionally - e.g. where there is dependence.

Mitsui2

A blather thread. For scaremongering racists.
To be fair, former wes, that appears to account for a large % of the members who could still be @rsed posting regularly here. They just lap this stuff up.

So I guess it's democracy in action - like Brexit.

Hysterics'r'us.ie & .co.uk, respectively.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies