Government confirms plans for independent Shannon Airport

mangaire2

No motorway from Limerick to Cork and an unfinished motorway from Limerick to Sligo which stops at Tuam.
being a frequent driver on the Cork- Limerick road, I look forward to the motorway,
but I wouldn't expect a surge of Cork people coming to Shannon - why would they ?

the motorway to Tuam is fantastic - however, I don't think that it has resulted in a surge of extra traffic to Shannon.

Maximus Cynicus

Or maybe they want to fly somewhere not serviced by Shannon, as Cork serves more routes and passengers.

??? You asked why would Cork people choose Shannon over Cork Airport
I said "Maybe they want to fly somewhere not serviced by Cork"
And your response is "Or maybe they want to fly somewhere not serviced by Shannon........"

So that's why they might go to Shannon? Commendable logic there

You do know that's my point, right?

Close but no cigar. Your 2 references to Galway Airport show you hadn't a clue that it was closed. Do keep up

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
When Sidey takes power in a bloodless coup and I take up my appointment as Minister of the Interior the first thing I'll do is have a short sharp clear out by way of a Stalinesque purge but the second thing will be to do a deal with the Russians and/or Chinese for a large sea and air base for them at Shannon. I'd bring business into the area alright or extract a lot of concessions politically as the price for not doing so.

There's more than one way to securitise a cat.

neveragain

He also hasn't a clue that Cork airport does not service Long haul flights, one of the reasons Cork people would visit Shannon.

mangaire2

He also hasn't a clue that Cork airport does not service Long haul flights, one of the reasons Cork people would visit Shannon.
yeah, but the road would be two way, wouldn't it ? - so Shannon/Limerick people would use Cork Airport.
as I posted earlier, there hasn't exactly been a surge of new business from north Galway to Shannon as a result of the motorway ??

Myler

yeah, but the road would be two way, wouldn't it ? - so Shannon/Limerick people would use Cork Airport.
Tbh, that's not a reality that these folk want to acknowledge.But, absolutely, the motorway could mean the final death of Shannon.

In the same way that they don't want to acknowledge that, if Galway had a dire need for a local airport, their airport would still have commercial traffic.

neveragain

as I posted earlier, there hasn't exactly been a surge of new business from north Galway to Shannon as a result of the motorway ??
Of course a motorway is two way and would be of huge benefit to linking the South with both Galway and the North west. We would all benefit, it's a nobrainer.
Oh and by the way North Galway is just down the road from Knock, just saying like.

mangaire2

Of course a motorway is two way and would be of huge benefit to linking the South with both Galway and the North west. We would all benefit, it's a nobrainer.
Oh and by the way North Galway is just down the road from Knock, just saying like.
you say _ "Oh and by the way North Galway is just down the road from Knock, just saying like."

but, it was you who also ……. ahem …….. just said -
"...… and an unfinished motorway from Limerick to Sligo which stops at Tuam."

I look forward to the motorway being extended all the way to Derry,
but the lack of a motorway to Sligo is no excuse for the lack of traffic at Shannon Airport.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies