• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Government considers plan to force burglars to repay victims

williewatch

I think this is a really good idea

Government considers plan to force burglars to repay victims - Independent.ie

"THE Government is to consider a proposal to force convicted burglars to repay the costs to their victims of the items stolen.
Independent TD John Halligan said he wanted to see legislation brought forward to force the perpetrators to pay the compensation from their wages or social welfare. "

Also from time to time you see criminals taking personal injury claims against prison authorities. They should also be made hand that money over in certain cases.

I also think that anybody convicted of a crime where they drove a car or were driven to the scene of their crime should also have their driving licenses suspended for a mandatory period.

Mandatory Suspension (Georgia USA)

The Department of Driver Services shall suspend a license for a conviction of any of the following offenses in Georgia or any other state:............................Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used.

Driver's License Suspensions and Revocations

Cellach

Will it apply to former Directors of Banks and Building Societies?
That would obviously depend on whether they broke the law wouldn't it. This 'what about the real criminals' thing gets boring.

This is a good idea, and to be honest I don't see why we aren't doing it already.

Samell

Would that mean criminals having personal liability insurance? just in case they got caught.

Would be a good idea though.

mctree

I think the same should apply in relation to legal aid. If you have been convicted then you should have to pay back the cost of legal aid from your dole or wages to the state.

seismic change

Website
www.finegael.ie
Another great move by Enda and fine Gael, though I suspect it could be difficult to implement if the burglar has no finances to be able to pay the victim.

tigerben

The do gooders brigade will be out to say its society's fault that people turn to robbing other peoples houses. It's the have nots robbing the do haves and they were failed by the schooling system, the courts ect anyone bar their parents or themselves.

EoinMag

I think the same should apply in relation to legal aid. If you have been convicted then you should have to pay back the cost of legal aid from your dole or wages to the state.
That would undoubtedly lead to the accusation that the state was securing convictions on the basis that they would not have to pick up the bill.

ManInTheArena

Good idea if it could be implemented. I'd imagine there will be plenty of law experts who will fight it on the basis that it will infringe on the rights of criminals to commit crimes and not have to suffer any consequences though.

EoinMag

He could rob something?
Good point, even though that was the last thing on your mind. What happens when he's repaying so many victims that he's getting no dole, he just robs people again?

carruthers

"THE Government is to consider a proposal to force convicted burglars to repay the costs to their victims of the items stolen.
Independent TD John Halligan said he wanted to see legislation brought forward to force the perpetrators to pay the compensation from their wages or social welfare. "

Also from time to time you see criminals taking personal injury claims against prison authorities. They should also be made hand that money over in certain cases.

I also think that anybody convicted of a crime where they drove a car or were driven to the scene of their crime should also have their driving licenses suspended for a mandatory period.

The Department of Driver Services shall suspend a license for a conviction of any of the following offenses in Georgia or any other state:............................Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used.

Seems reasonable to me, though they should remain tagged until such time as restoration is made so they don't just steal it again.

realistic1

The legal profession will not stand for this! Anything that may persuade a criminal to change his ways, is a crime in the Legal professions eyes. The legal profession could stand to lose millions from this sort of policy. What next jail criminals instead of giving them suspended sentences????

emulator

He must be some clown this TD....

Why does he think they are burgling houses....to keep fit ? They won't have the money to repay so they'll have to rob more houses to pay back the first. A sort of Ponzi scheme in reverse.

How much are they supposed to repay ? Who says what they repay ? Is it the value of goods taken plus damage done ? Who says what was taken ? Homeowner says one thing, burglar say another....

It's good to see TDs have the time to come up with shíte like this....

carruthers

Why does he think they are burgling houses....to keep fit ? They won't have the money to repay so they'll have to rob more houses to pay back the first. A sort of Ponzi scheme in reverse.

How much are they supposed to repay ? Who says what they repay ? Is it the value of goods taken plus damage done ? Who says what was taken ? Homeowner says one thing, burglar say another....

You'll probably find he's got assets, car, flat screen, caravan etc... They may not be able to compensate to the full amount. €10 off their dole. Make them clean gum off the streets at €20 a day for six months and give that to the victims

OR

Do nothing..... as usual.

Picasso Republic

Another - "thats stupid - that wont work" comment with no solution suggested - typical Irish and P.ie type of post.

Clearly with prisons full to bursting and many criminals simply getting a slap on the wrist, no financial penalty and back on the street immediately after their court case, a sensible solution to this problem must be implemented.

In my opinion all criminals who do not pose a danger to themselves or anyone else should be given the following choice:

Choice 1: Prison for X amount of time - full time will be served and the term will fit the crime (no token sentences), no benefits while in prison. On leaving prison community service (work) to value of stolen/damaged goods, benefit of which passed to directly victims.

Choice 2: Tagging for twice the length of the prison term, community service (work) to value of stolen/damaged goods, benefit of which passed to directly victims.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Emulator - They won't have the money to repay...

Sound idea, not rocket science and why has this type of project been costed and implemented before. So easy these days for the government to get revenue to dip into our pockets for the property tax so should be no bother to take it from the criminals dole / salary etc. Stop talking about it and just implement it. What do they want a bloody medal?

You'll probably find he's got assets, car, flat screen, caravan etc... They may not be able to compensate to the full amount. €10 off their dole.
Long overdue. A bit slim on the details.

In other European countries, the threat to 'reappraise' welfare payments of problem families works wonders. France in particular, dangles the welfare payment stick above recipients for various situations. People anchor themselves loosely to society through consumerism, remove the ability to purchase various tat.. and you'll find offenders having a 'think' about how to change their situation around.

Prison does nothing for petty crime, suspended sentences just embolden the offender.

We were burgled at 7pm on a week-day, burst door frame and damage to locks left us €300 euro worse off. The Gardai, from descriptions. (house was occupied..) Told us who they were.. and that they were keen to talk to one of the lads about an attack (elderly female), during a similar burglary, locally.

I don't want people that kicked in our door to have access to the easy choice of prison. I don't want them to be out a day or two later due to overcrowding. I want to be a pain in the hole to them in a very very passive active manner, namely, everytime they look at their scratch payments, the deduction will remind them of their antisocial activities.

That is the only thing that will work.

Sure, if recent pay offs work for rapists and nonces, why not burglars.. *cough*

Asparagus

Good point, even though that was the last thing on your mind. What happens when he's repaying so many victims that he's getting no dole, he just robs people again?
But he canpay back those people, by simply robbing others... its a can kicking government, with the vision of road kill