Government limiting discussion on bailout to ninety minutes: Opposition should walk.

He3

If I hear it right on Oireachtas tv, the government is limiting discussion in the Dáil on the bailout to ninety minutes starting now.

What have we come to?

Dil ireann Flash Webcasting 512 KBit/sec - Tithe an Oireachtais

It is known as Order of Business item a16 just in case you tune in and see/hear that term used.

If this is so, the Opposition should walk straight out now. Otherwise they are only giving the charade an undeserved veneer of dignity.

Last edited:

We are where we are. This is not a time to apportion blame. People are just playing politics here. Leave it to the experts. The losses are very annoying but they are manageable.

Sync

1 minute for every billion...

He3

The Opposition should be walking straight out of that room when the procedural vote is tallied - to stay in there is to give the appearance of credibility to something that is devoid of credibility.

Squire Allworthy

What a joke. No it is an insult.

The Greens should leave government and force an election NOW.

By the way the figures keep going up. Bloomberg now reporting it is 114 billion.

He3

By the way the figures keep going up. Bloomberg now reporting it is 114 billion.
It is a complete insult.

tommyd

+1 i have often felt while watching dail eireann what a shambolic way to do the countrys business this is. there are time limits on nearly everything they debate. our countrys future is at stake here at least let it take all the debating time necessary. and yes the greens if they had an ounce of credability should pull out now and flush the ff sh::e down the toilet.

He3

Battered Opposition Syndrome.

greengoose2

Just linked to the debate and there is only about three people there!!
For the record; the questions, answers, speeches etc. are all written and read in the House. There are monitors all over the place, especially in the subsidised bar so it it not necessary to be present in the chamber as the papers are handed out beforehand. The deputies will naturally flock into the chamber for the votail which is normally carried thanks to that stupid whip system where the deputies are told how to vote.

That is Irish democracy.

realist

Lenihan the only FF, two Labour, two FG and I think two SF. 6 TDs discussing the bailout!

edit: just read your post Greengoose2. I think in future they might as well stay at home and vote by email. Save us a fortune!

greengoose2

Just because Biffo (the one with the great reforming zeal, and the frequent nasal congestion) was unable to reform diddly, doesn't mean that a new broom can't too. Call me an optimist or what.
Even a bloody monkey with a screwdriver could do a better job. The fool has landed us in the biggest slurry hole in the history of the state. But remember - "He did it his way!"

goosebump

They aren't, you fool.

**$**114bn = €85bn

Big deal what's going on in the Dail. Its function is to pass legislation, not host political carnivals.

goosebump

Lenhihan the only FF, two Labour, two FG and I think two SF. 6 TDs discussing the bailout!
There are monitors in the offices, you do know that, don't you?

I suppose you think that all 166 TDs should be sitting in the Chamber from 9am to 10pm?

Lord Wellington

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies