Government loses vote in the Seanad

Rocky

For only the second time in 10 years, the government lost a vote in Seanad Eireann today. They were beaten by 19 votes to 18.

The Amendment was to the Charities Bill 2007 and was put forward by FG's Senator Jerry Buttimer. The rationale behind the amendment was to ensure that amateur sporting bodies are not prevented from applying for charitable status under this legislation. The amendment has massive implications for the Charity bill.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
If the govt stick to their guns, their version will pass into law anyway in 9 months at most.

Rocky

Do elaborate. Sounds interesting...
It is.

2 Greens, 1 PD and 10 FFers failed to turn up to vote..

After the An Cathaoirleach announced the result, FF tried to get it overturned by having a walkthrough, however to the credit of FG and the An Cathaoirleach who stood up to intense pressure from FF the vote stood.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
It is.

2 Greens, 1 PD and 10 FFers failed to turn up to vote..

After the An Cathaoirleach announced the result, FF tried to get it overturned by having a walkthrough, however to the credit of FG and the An Cathaoirleach who stood up to intense pressure from FF the vote stood.
That's a 38% absenteeism rate. If that sorta mullarkey went on in the private sector there'd be a lot of dismissals (even though it is coming up to Christmas).

cYp

pfkf

What's a 'walkthrough' ?

Also, can't they just have another vote next week, or if they amend a bill are they not allowed to then pass the original unamended bill?
A walk through is a vote other than electronic means

yehbut_nobut

Donie Casssidy has blamed the Greens for the defeat, according to RTE.

yehbut_nobut

Did he give a reason why the greens are to blame?

Because the two Green senators didn't vote. A reporter quoted him as saying the vote was lost because of "Dan Boyle and Deirdre de Burca....

kerrynorth

The Greens were too busy lunching at the time apparantly. Nose in the trough takes priority don't you know!

Captcha

Did he give a reason why the greens are to blame?
Like he needs to, they're blamed for everything else so he may as well jump on the band wagon.

Captcha

Let me guess, Cannon was absent?

mollox

Because the two Green senators didn't vote. A reporter quoted him as saying the vote was lost because of "Dan Boyle and Deirdre de Burca....
I think RTE's 6.1 tv news reported it factually as the vote lost because Boyle & de Burca were late back from lunch and missed the vote by minutes, rather than attributing it as merely a Donie Cassidy claim.

Dan looks like he could lose a few pounds, rather than taking extended lunches.

constitutionus

Donie Casssidy has blamed the Greens for the defeat, according to RTE.

heard that myself on radio one.

absolutly NO mentiong of 10 FFers being awol. only mention of them was a failour in the pairing system they use when politicians are out of the country and that only applied to ONE guy.

if i was the greens i'd be hammering this home. if two out of TEN FF guys bothered their arse to turn up they wouldve won.

as it is its definetly being spun as a the greens fault. amazing how ya have to rely on the net to find this stuff out. :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies