• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Government orders strategic review of Semi States, to be chaired by Colm McCarthy

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Last edited:

making waves

Yep - privatise the semi-states - lose tons of more jobs - and line the pockets of a few fat cats.

I thought we had done with bailing out the wealthy - foolish me.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Yep - privatise the semi-states - lose tons of more jobs - and line the pockets of a few fat cats.

I thought we had done with bailing out the wealthy - foolish me.
Well at the last major Semi State privatisation - Eircom - everyone had a chance to buy in

cYp

TODevastated

They say of course that no decision has been taken on selling them yet

RTÉ News: Government for semi-State 'stock take'

So how will the sale of semi states affect matters :

• Fiscal improvement
  • Industrial relations
?

Would this government have the political capital to manage to sell them ?

What semi states should be sold ?

cYp
review it a complete waste of time and will produce yet another report which our gutless political establishment will shy away from doing anything about!!

remember our postgirl from Donegals comments, and the silly smirk on her face, in the Dail when dodging questions regarding an Bord Snip Nuas report!!

corelli

Well at the last major Semi State privatisation - Eircom - everyone had a chance to buy in

cYp
Indeed, and "everyone", ie the great unwashed, has little idea of the market and the vast majority lost their shirts. Only a very small percentage managed to make any gain from the sale of Eircom, originally.

cricket

McCarthy's first question to government :
" Now, what would you like me to say ? "
Government , when questioned about proposals :
" It wasn't us , it was McCarthy "

TODevastated

The spin will be that the McCarthy Report, why he wastes his time is beyond me, after producing another report, which will be political dynamite, will be downgraded to

"a menu of choices provided that we as a government have to sit down and make the HARD CHOICES from that menu and for that purpose we today have set up a Cabinet sub committee which will report back in 12 months"

the_rebubblican

Pity they haven't seen fit to do a strategic review of efficiency within the semi-states before they consider cashing them in. This will be a firesale and in the coming years will once again be seen as grave error and a giveaway. I'd prefer to see the semi-states kept and radical action taken to decrease costs to the public and market level rates of pay and internal costings. Truth is, it will be easier to give them away and wait for their new corporate masters to make those changes thereby making millions by a resale. 100k + for a job in Poolbeg power station anyone? The fruit of political cowardice is ripe for harvest.

Rocky

This is very frustrating. On one hand we have Fianna Fail who are going to sell semi-state bodies, simply so that they don't have to make further hard decisions in the next budget. The money will be just thrown in with the rest and will quickly be gone and we will be left with nothing.

On the other hand we have Fine Gael who want to sell parts of semi-state bodies to raise money to set up a whole host of new semi-state bodies that would completely revolutise Ireland's infrastructure and with that Ireland's economy.

FlyOver

Typical Irish government, don't finish what ya start then move on. Why not take to task what was in the first McCarthy report before rushing off to do McCarthy part 2!!!!

As for selling off the semi-states, if Eircom is any guidance, then only the insane would think of buying any of them. I bet the Singapore company that purchased Eircom would like to redo the sale.

making waves

Actually proves my point - 700,000 people got screwed and Tony O'Reilly and his venture capitalist buddies made a killing.

brughahaha

Actually proves my point - 700,000 people got screwed and Tony O'Reilly and his venture capitalist buddies made a killing.
you forgot to mention the Unions and Dick Spring as the other benificiaries

making waves

you forgot to mention the Unions and Dick Spring as the other benificiaries
Ask any eircom worker and they will tell you that the company pulled a fast one with the shares - the share holding has been used to beat the workers over the head in order to drive down wages and conditions - including the latest attempts to slash 2000 jobs. They have lost significantly more than they ever could have possibly gained from that shrinking 'pot of crap'.

You are right about Dick Spring (and Con Scanlon) - but then again, they have more in common with Tony O'Reilly than any Eircom worker.

By the way - How much is McCarthy going to be paid for this latest 'slash and burn' report?

brughahaha

Ask any eircom worker and they will tell you that the company pulled a fast one with the shares - the share holding has been used to beat the workers over the head in order to drive down wages and conditions - including the latest attempts to slash 2000 jobs. They have lost significantly more than they ever could have possibly gained from that shrinking 'pot of crap'.

You are right about Dick Spring (and Con Scanlon) - but then again, they have more in common with Tony O'Reilly than any Eircom worker.
Many of those that benefited enormously have since retired ... same 'ol same 'ol where those with long service , good wages , good pensions and excellent conditions were happy to sell the newer workers down the swanee for a pot of gold ........I think the expression is Im alright jack

donald

Another attempt to look like there doing something. They will not sell anything. There will be High Level discussions about the report. Commatee with tae talks.All on expenses and mileage. And then hold on for dear life in case a miracle will occur. When you dont know what to do commision a report.

powderfinger

Another political exercise.

McCarthy says 'Bord Snip' was an absolute political exercise - The Irish Times - Mon, Feb 01, 2010
“They then set up, pre-Christmas, a highly political exercise, which was ‘Bord Snip’. Absolutely political exercise from the word go – and nothing wrong with that – with the intention of preparing not just technocratic proposals but also public opinion for a better-crafted set of budgetary measures in the 2009 .”
The PR element of the body was just as important as the economic function, the economist said.“I get the impression that that element of the equation is very important. You can get public servants to dream up what the possible cuts are. Sometimes they’ll conceal the easiest ones if it doesn’t suit them and bureaucrats play games. But the business of getting a list of possible economy measures is the easiest bit.
“It’s getting public opinion and the Opposition parties and the broadsheet media on board and getting them to accept and understand that we’re not doing this for fun, that we’re in a hole and that the quicker we start dealing with it the better and that there has to be a fiscal consolidation, and all this kind of stuff.

GDPR

This is very frustrating. On one hand we have Fianna Fail who are going to sell semi-state bodies, simply so that they don't have to make further hard decisions in the next budget. The money will be just thrown in with the rest and will quickly be gone and we will be left with nothing.
This is not good Rocky.
Getting upset by decisions you made up yourself is not good for you.

Why not try it the old fashioned way?
Wait until someone you don't like actually makes a decision before getting upset anyway, regardless of the merits of that decision.

tuddles

Another attempt to look like there doing something. They will not sell anything. There will be High Level discussions about the report. Commatee with tae talks.All on expenses and mileage. And then hold on for dear life in case a miracle will occur. When you dont know what to do commision a report.
not sure about that this time. Bord Gais is being split in 2 as we speak; into an energy business and a networks business. one strategically important, the other an asset rich cash cow.... ripe for selling

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies