Government to abolish library fines, will anarchy result ? :-O

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
If a user doesn't return a book in the committed period, a modest daily fine seems appropriate

Are ministers experts in say behavioural economics ?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0411/953830-library-fines/
The typical charge for books that are overdue is 5 cent per day.

Some ministers were of the view that this is "putting people off" joining libraries.
Cyp

Morgellons

I was just talking to a friend today about how good Irish libraries are, and no I don't think it's a good idea to do away with fines.

Sotired

Phew.

Am I now ok to return 1984, that I took out in 1983?

sadmal

They'll reverse it in a year or two when the library collections start to dwindle because without notices of fines people will forget they have the books.

automaticforthepeople

I use a library pretty often. Books are not always often for a few reasons. Firstly because they are on an inter library loan and at least you can have a date when it is due back. However if a book is sitting on someone bookshelf at home, the library incurs a cost in posting reminders which will be ignored, you end up with library users being frustrated because they cannot access books and postage costs increasing with no fees to at least justify a letter warning of a fine.

This is pandering by the government to a small minority who will end up costing even more to the local authority.
What next? A FG election manifesto promise to eliminate parking fines?

Expose the lot of them

They'll reverse it in a year or two when the library collections start to dwindle because without notices of fines people will forget they have the books.
Do they send reminders? The postal and admin costs must exceed the return.

fergal1790

AFAIK after a certain time keeping a book over it's return date you are deemed to have purchased the book from the library and will be charged the replacement value the next time you want to use a library.

Morgellons

Do they send reminders? The postal and admin costs must exceed the return.
You get an email about three days before the books are due back.

You can always renew them yourself online for another three weeks.

gleeful

You get an email about three days before the books are due back.

You can always renew them yourself online for another three weeks.
If youve not read it in 3 weeks, your probably not going to. Bring it back.

SayItAintSo

I use a library pretty often. Books are not always often for a few reasons. Firstly because they are on an inter library loan and at least you can have a date when it is due back. However if a book is sitting on someone bookshelf at home, the library incurs a cost in posting reminders which will be ignored, you end up with library users being frustrated because they cannot access books and postage costs increasing with no fees to at least justify a letter warning of a fine.

This is pandering by the government to a small minority who will end up costing even more to the local authority.
What next? A FG election manifesto promise to eliminate parking fines?
Em, dont think any libraries actually post reminders anymore ☺ Text message/email is the norm now. Maybe elderly members still get postal reminders but they're dwindling too I'd imagine. The fines are 20c per item per day now & I think they should be kept too. Its easy to renew items now, can be done on-line or over the phone so no excuse really for running up large fines.

Have you looked at the online catalogue for hard copies of books not readily available in your local library? I dont read e-books myself but I know many do.

seanof

The Public Library Service deserves support. It supplies hard copy books, as it always did but now provides onsite internet access and related facilities (printing etc) and membership of most libraries allows free online access to hundreds of newspapers and magazines from your own pc or mobile device.

It's a great service and underrated.

farnaby

Do we have an online library where you can download books ?
Yes - BorrowBox. Download the app. Works on the same principle as a library i.e. if someone has borrowed the book you need to wait until they 'return' it. Somewhat limited selection but some gems in there too, and as an Irish app well stocked with Irish history and fiction. Well worth a look.

farnaby

The fines are a pittance, they're an annoyance so people return books promptly. Keep them.

The only complaint I have about libraries is that they're closed on Sundays and for lunch on Saturdays - both times when most people have the time to visit and enjoy. Longer opening hours are the way to increase usage.

Orbit v2

Libraries are a great service. But, this is (yet another) idiotic infantilising idea. I suppose it's consistent with the idea that houses should be free and mortgages don't have to be paid back either.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies