Government to increase student immigration visas to counter mass emigration

White Horse

A new strategy to increase the number of international students coming to Ireland has been launched by the Government.
The aim is to increase international students in higher education by 50%, or 12,000, and in English language schools by 25% over the next five years.
RT News: Govt wants 50% rise in international students

New figures released yesterday show that more than 65,000 people left the country in the year to April. Although this was only slightly more than in the previous year, the breakdown by nationality was very different. Most notable was a 50 per cent surge in the number of Irish people departing
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0922/1224279435299.html

These two stories in today's media suggest Ireland may become a very different place in years to come as Irish people are forced to emmigrate while the government encourages foreign students to fill the gap.

Many will welcome this trend as a boost to "multi-culturalism". Others will take a very different view.

bormotello

Somebody has to fill empty apartments
Keeping property investors afloat always was the highest priority

LOL, you couldnt make this crap up.

Further strain on part time jobs and services.

Keep it all coming, why not bring in more Asylum Seekers from Nigeria whilst were at it and prop up those unemployment figures.

johnfás

Why don't we reduce salaries for new graduates? They are not in debt, they do not have mortgages, they're facing an environment of declining prices and they're moving abroad to take up employment in positions which pay far less than they would be paid in Ireland if they did manage to secure employment here. The NHS, for example, can employ about 3 members of newly qualified healthcare professionals for the price that we pay for 2 through the HSE. Solve this problem and it will go some way to reducing emigration.

former wesleyan

A new strategy to increase the number of international students coming to Ireland has been launched by the Government.
The aim is to increase international students in higher education by 50%, or 12,000, and in English language schools by 25% over the next five years.
RT News: Govt wants 50% rise in international students

New figures released yesterday show that more than 65,000 people left the country in the year to April. Although this was only slightly more than in the previous year, the breakdown by nationality was very different. Most notable was a 50 per cent surge in the number of Irish people departing
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0922/1224279435299.html

These two stories in today's media suggest Ireland may become a very different place in years to come as Irish people are forced to emmigrate while the government encourages foreign students to fill the gap.

Many will welcome this trend as a boost to "multi-culturalism". Others will take a very different view.
You're daft. It's a money making racket to boost income for the unis who are hemorraging staff. It's got nothing to do with immigrants.

nonpartyboy

If there was any question this government was a bunch of traitors, this is it.

anewbeginning

Most of these "students" are not students at all and most will indeed be looking for part time jobs.

Why is this government so intent on undermining the welfare of Irish people?

Mena

Some of these students, in some institutions, are paying the guts of 50k a year to study here. Great money spinner, though I thought the whole "English Language" schools thing was viewed as a back door immigration route so I was surprised to see it listed as well.

locke

I thought the whole "English Language" schools thing was viewed as a back door immigration route so I was surprised to see it listed as well.
Same here.

I have no objections to international students coming in to study at third level or post-graduate level.

However, I suspect they might find it harder to attract them than they believe it will be. If you're forking out economic fees for your education, you become a lot more discerning about just how good your university is.

I suspect only specific courses in specific institutions will actually prove popular.

pujols

It will bring money into the country; it is very simple really. But if you are a conspiracy theorist, I suppose you can see it as Dermot MacMurrough all over again...

goosebump

Hello?

450,000 unemployed Irish and you want more people figihting for the few jobs there are?
Yes. They will drive down wages and make us more productive, allowing people who have a product or service to sell abroad to sell it at a competitive price, which will create jobs.

People who want €15 per hour for tying their shoelaces can take their business elsewhere.

And our unemployment figure is 300k, not 450k.

Camper Van

People who want €15 per hour for tying their shoelaces can take their business elsewhere.

And our unemployment figure is 300k, not 450k.
Minimum wage is not €15 an hour. Our unemployment level is more likely to be beyond the 450k official figures. What are you sniffing? Gimme some.

DCon

It will bring money into the country; it is very simple really. But if you are a conspiracy theorist, I suppose you can see it as Dermot MacMurrough all over again...
An estimated extra 300 million if you can believe the government

On the full implementation of the five year blueprint - Investing in Global Relationships - the international education sector will be worth €1.2 billion per year to the Irish economy by 2015. It is currently worth an estimated €900m annually.
Government Launches new strategy to dramatically expand international student numbers | Fianna Fáil

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Well as long as we keep getting fresh young blood... work ready people... that gives us a massive demographic boost/advantage

And personally I welcome hard working studious foreign types, and hope that we swap out some duffer dole types

And furthermore I welcome the notion of cultural diversity, and potential for more hot yound ladies !

cYp

firefighter

Somebody has to fill empty apartments
Keeping property investors afloat always was the highest priority
lol. Beckett College with their faux coat of arms.

Samuel Beckett would be a proud man.

The HEA are, of course, perfectly happy to rubber stamp such organisations.

This country is focked.

kerdasi amaq

Well as long as we keep getting fresh young blood... work ready people... that gives us a massive demographic boost/advantage

And personally I welcome hard working studious foreign types, and hope that we swap out some duffer dole types

And furthermore I welcome the notion of cultural diversity, and potential for more hot young ladies !

cYp
You want cultural diversity? Shove off to London and see if you can enjoy living in a Third World city.

Last edited:

firefighter

Here's Beckett College's "coat of arms":

Cambridge university would be proud.

I notice also that they do translations for residents of Singapore, India, French-speaking countries, China and Korea. I guess it's a glorified English language school cum property management company being peddled as an institution of repute.

New Threads

Most Replies