• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Government to take control of some Catholic schools

Hazlitt

"In an effort to promote diversity" the Government has drawn up plans to take control of some of the countries Catholic schools.

According to the Irish Catholic Newspaper, a list of schools has already been drawn up from 30 different areas around the country.
This isn't really necessary at all is it. Firstly, have we the money for this, secondly, even if we did should the State be running schools at all!

Source: here

factual

"In an effort to promote diversity" the Government has drawn up plans to take control of some of the countries Catholic schools.

This isn't really necessary at all is it. Firstly, have we the money for this, secondly, even if we did should the State be running schools at all!

I very much welcome this - its important to move away from our system and more to a more secular one.

deiseguy

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I know my own kids are in the same school that both myself and their grandfather attended. A Catholic school where preparation for the various church sacraments is mainly done by teachers. In my oldest lads class this year almost 20% of the class were opting out of first communion I think in our school this would be quite unusual but it didn't seem to cause any problems. It was dealt with very matter-of-factly by the staff and the kids seemed to treat it as a perfectly logical and acceptable choice. Point being a well run catholic school does not need to be a place where kids from other or no denomination need be uncomfortable.

The state already has a big say in the administration of schools from the makeup of the boards and the training of parent members of school boards to the curriculum that must be taught in the schools. In many ways I believe from what the church has been saying that in some areas they would be quite happy to relinquish responsibility for the schools where control has been de-facto removed from them because of the large numbers of non-catholic children attending the schools. As the state is already paying the salaries of the teachers and staff as well as capitation to these schools I cannot see it costing much extra.

I think that the parents of children in a school that has been selected should have the final say in whether a school comes under state control. I would include all parents of children who have been registered with the school for subsequent academic years.

The Field Marshal

The sources for this story are extremely vague on detail.
Phrases "like govt to take control in an effort to promote diversity etc bla blah" sound deliberately provocative.
Can the OP post something with a little more substance?

corelli

The sources for this story are extremely vague on detail.
Phrases "like govt to take control in an effort to promote diversity etc bla blah" sound deliberately provocative.
Can the OP post something with a little more substance?
You must have the actual relevant Irish Catholic issue knocking about at home there, no? :)

johnfás

A positive development - choice is good for families. Hopefully this is the start of a future where an array of choices are provided to parents in choosing what best suits their family and the specific needs of their child.

The Field Marshal

I very much welcome this - its important to move away from our system and more to a more secular one.
Like all secularists you are deluded.

[1]The OP has provided no evidence at all to back up the story

[2] Ireland is nominally 85% Christian. Non Christians = perhaps 5%.
Secularists atheists liberals and other similiar deluded types=at most
2%.
[3] Democracy is important and Iireland being democratic it is essential & important that denominational non secular education be provided to the vast majority of its citizens who want it.

White Horse

Details are sketchy but this could be a good move.

The Church is frustrated with the burden of having to operate quasi-secular schools and have been trying for some time to get the State more involved.

In reality, the State is quite hapy to divest itself of control.

However, demographic changes, parental demands, and the multiplicity of religions have forced the State to get involved.

The hope in the Church is that the schools who remain within it's sphere will become more devout and concentrate more on the religious upbringing of children.

Within Church circles, divesting itself of the necessity of running quasi-secular schools is seen as the beginning of an evangelical renewal.

redhead101

The state already has a big say in the administration of schools from the makeup of the boards and the training of parent members of school boards to the curriculum that must be taught in the schools.
The state has no input into who sits on the board except in schools run by VECs.

By and large, schools are owned and run by non-state entities, (usually some church or other), which are completely unaccountable, and in many cases, secretive. For all its flaws, (and there are many), at least the workings of the state are subject to some level of public scrutiny. Effectively the state has outsourced the education of young people to a the private sector.

Skrynesaver

Religion has no place in schools, if people wish to train their kids to believe in their own worldview in their own time that's fine but the state paying for teaching of religious dogma is unacceptable.

Personally I'm glad that this change is happening, however slowly.

White Horse

the state paying for teaching of religious dogma is unacceptable.
The "State" doesn't pay for anything. The taxpayers do, and many are Christians. If they want some of their taxes to pay for religious education, that is democracy.

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

Religion has no place in schools, if people wish to train their kids to believe in their own worldview in their own time that's fine but the state paying for teaching of religious dogma is unacceptable.

Personally I'm glad that this change is happening, however slowly.
Rubbish.

Taxpayers, the vast majority of whom are religious, pay for compulsory education in national schools, not the government.

[Skrynesaver is deluded into thinking that the govt is entirely independent of the taxpayer:rolleyes:]

In a democracy it is normal to respect the wishes of the vast majority who desire a denominational element in their childrens compulsory state education.

Skrynesaver :confused::rolleyes:clearly admires the Marxist,Soviet system of compulsory state indoctrination where parents have no say whatever in what beliefs their children are taught:rolleyes:

The Field Marshal

The "State" does pay for anything. The taxpayers do, and many are Christians. If they want some of their taxes to pay for religious education, that is democracy.
Skyrnesaver ,like most deluded secularists, has real trouble understanding that simple and precise equation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies