• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Government to "top-up" arsenic levels in drinking water to achieve EU parameters

cashinhand

On the initiative of the Minister for the Environment, Phil Hogan, the Cabinet today decided
to introduce legislation to add arsenic to drinking water supplies to bring levels up to
levels listed under the EU Drinking Water Directive.

"We currently add fluoride to the water in an attempt to achieve the parametric value of 1.5
mg/l as listed in Annex I (B) of the Directive" the Minister said this afternoon. "In the same vein, we intend to bring arsenic levels up to 10 μg/l."

"This is a public measure which we believe no right-thinking person will oppose. We have
had fluoride in the water for over 50 years now, and there has hardly been a squeak out of
anyone since."

"We are also currently examining levels of cyanide, cadmium and mercury to ensure they achieve
the maximum parametric levels under the Directive."

"We look forward to implementing these cost-effective remedial measures for the public
without undue delay."

Drinking Water Directive

EUrJokingMeRight

great, like we need more cyanide & arsenic :shock:

Samell

I thought we were adding enough to our water, Flouride, raw sewage, fertilizer, slurry, cryptosporidium, E-Coli, shopping trollies, traffic cones etc now we have to add Arsenic.........

Wait this is a wind up yes?

Please say yes.

Pretty please with sprinkles.

Half Nelson

corporal punishment

The water's fine as it is phil, now f**k off and do something usefull you big turd.

Kitty O'Shea

Even he is not stupid enough to try to pull that one off. Not saying that he won't consider it of course...

Ribeye

On a serious note,

I think that everyone should, en masse, refuse to pay the upcoming water charges, on the basis that the stuff being supplied is not water,

Water is a chemical compound with the chemical formula H2O. A water molecule contains one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms connected by covalent bonds.
The poisonous rubbish coming out of our taps sure as hell ain't water,

"Supply me with water and i'll pay, until then, stick you bill up your hole":D

cashinhand

On a serious note,

I think that everyone should, en masse, refuse to pay the upcoming water charges, on the basis that the stuff being supplied is not water,

I don't think there is any doubt that water quality is varied across the country. Some areas are lucky enough not to be fluoridated, most are. There is sometimes a very strong chlorine taste, other times not. Galway has suffered greatly in terms of cryptosporidium. I know one area where I'm convinced an elderly relation's gastro problems ended because she stopped drinking the tap water.

It's a pretty basic necessity, water. Don't know why there isn't more debate and discussion about it in general.

I've been using water filters for nearly a decade. I try to avoid plastic-bottled water too, as that comes with its own set of issues, including dubious quality of contents, cost, and exposure to chemicals leaching out from the plastic such as bisphenol A (BPA). I now have steel water bottles to carry filtered water.

realist

What is quite scary is that arsenic is already being added to our water as a component of the waste fertiliser which is used to add fluoride.

moralhazard77

On a serious note,

You are absolutely right. Why should we pay water charges when the water is rotten.
The last place I lived in had it's own well and the water was the best I've ever tasted. The place I'm in now has water provided by the council and it tastes horrible in comparison, all chemically and the pressure is sh!te. If we are going to be made pay for water it had better improve a lot.

Ribeye

You are absolutely right. Why should we pay water charges when the water is rotten.
The last place I lived in had it's own well and the water was the best I've ever tasted. The place I'm in now has water provided by the council and it tastes horrible in comparison, all chemically and the pressure is sh!te. If we are going to be made pay for water it had better improve a lot.

moralhazard77

I know there is as much chance of the water improving with the introduction of charges as there is of me having a night of passion with Michael Fassbender.
Actually my chances with Fassbender are much higher.