• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Government too busy to receive petition from 30,000 parents over Child Benefit cuts.

Neutron

This government never fail to surprise me in their disgust against the people of Ireland.

A 30,000 strong petition over child benefit cuts was to be handed into Joan Burton, however she was to busy to accept this and instructed her secretary to accept the petition.

However it now appears even the secretary is to busy to accept the petition.

30,000 unhappy parents are angry, this is now going to the papers and will encourage more anger at this weekends march.

Below is the response to Joan Burton from the group set up about child benefit cuts.

Dear Joan
Im am writing to you about the petition handover for your perusal this Thursday against cuts to child benefit. The petition founder and manager is Annmarie McNally Rice.

A few groups as you know shall be meeting with Annmarie on the day for the handing over of this petition with over 30,000 signatures collected on it.

The groups names are Parents Against Child Benefit Cuts, PACUB and Save our child benefit.

We have already had peaceful marches against the cuts. One that I organised in Dublin where we also had Pacub marching in support and one that was organised in Navan by Save our child benefit.

I think this is very disrespectful to the Irish public considering so many people have taken the time to sign it that your secretary is not even able to receive this on the 30,000 peoples behalf. Lets not forget these people pay the governments salaries and are the people who voted you into government. Also bear in mind first of all we were told you would be unable to meet us but your secretary Jacinta would on your behalf. Therefor we all juggled our busy lives and made plans. Not easy when you have a family and work. Let alone the money and time all the groups have put into this campaign.

We do not have expenses, advisors or secretaries or p.a.'s to look after our affairs for us. Its just us on top of our jobs or caring for our children. Therfor I urge you to nominate someone from the Labour party to receive the petition from us on behalf of the Irish families.

Kind Regards

Hazel Hayden

Parents Against Child Benefit Cuts

http://www.facebook.com/#!/2Parentsagainstchildbenefitcuts

I think they are also on the Frontline tonight.

Cato

Bad form that someone could not have been organised to receive it. Not like Burton to slip up on something like that.

Northsideman

They had time for clambering on every bandwagon prior to the election, didn't take long for arrogance to set in!

Neutron

So much for the Children they kept on talking about a few days back!

D

Deleted member 17573

Bad form that someone could not have been organised to receive it. Not like Burton to slip up on something like that.
If it had been ISME, IBEC or the IBF, I'm sure they'd have been met with a different reception. Surprised at Burton.

Neutron

I would think that considering how Labour are going into hiding over receiving this petition it speaks volumes to me that child benefit is indeed going to be cut!

lying eyes

Well I hope that the 30,000 are busy the next time she wants to renew her trough licence.......

Cato

I would think that considering how Labour are going into hiding over receiving this petition it speaks volumes to me that child benefit is indeed going to be cut!
Well, it depends how the cut is made. If she compensates for it in some way for low-income families it, through increasing FIS, a tax credit or some other mechanism then it might just be palatable enough for people to accept. If it can be sold as targeting the cuts at higher income brackets then she should be safe. Compensating through FIS etc. will also mean that less child benefit goes abroad ...

Cato

If it had been ISME, IBEC or the IBF, I'm sure they'd have been met with a different reception. Surprised at Burton.
Yes, I am surprised. Enough to think that there may have been an error. Still very sloppy and unacceptable. If Burton and her people were unavailable then someone else from Labour should have been dispatched to accept it. Really was unacceptable to have people treated in that manner, even if unintentional.

Northsideman

Well I hope that the 30,000 are busy the next time she wants to renew her trough licence.......
Oh I think they shall be busy alright but it won't be putting a number 1 after a labour candidates name!

culmore

anyone that has children should rear them themselves, I dont want to pay Taxes to rear another mans child

Neutron

anyone that has children should rear them themselves, I dont want to pay Taxes to rear another mans child
And does that mean that those parents who have children can stop paying into the pension pot for people like you when you come to retirement?

Sync

I mean this in the nicest possible way, and I'm sure she's a perfectly nice lady; Hazel shouldn't be writing the releases for this group.

captainwillard

Imagine wasting your time signing a petition which is meaningless. And as for the op, he sure does want to get angry and be a victim.

Best of luck to him. Me..I am going to bed.

Watcher2

What surprises me is that people are surprised. Please get this through your heads, politicians dont care about you, your child, your parents or grandparents, your siblings or anyone else other than themselves.

Aindriu

I mean this in the nicest possible way, and I'm sure she's a perfectly nice lady; Hazel shouldn't be writing the releases for this group.
Would you care to expand on that?