Government

McSlaggart

“Peace is not merely the absence of war but the presence of justice, of law, of order —in short, of government.”
Albert Einstein

The UK within the EU allowed the mutual exclusivity of competing British and Irish nationalism to find an accommodation. SF is moving to a new paradigm to keep many aspects of "Northern Ireland" within a United Ireland. This may or may not work but at least they have a strategy.

Unionism does not appear to have any strategy but to keep close to the conservatives in order to gain what benefits they can. This plan does appear to have one flaw in that the conservatives appear to be incapable of making a success of Brexit.1

Could some unionist explain what they consider will be the argument of staying in the UK rather than the EU after Brexit. I would also be grateful for a unionist to explain what plan unionism has to make northern Ireland work?

"Strategy? What strategy?"

So responds a senior civil servant when asked how plans for the future of UK trade are coming together. They then proceed to smash their coffee's foam with the back of a teaspoon aggressively.

"[The] trade strategy is basically tweeting out flag emojis."

Their frustration is not about being for or against Brexit, they stress. It is about understanding the challenge and importance of the UK getting trade right, so that businesses and jobs are protected. At the moment, that is not happening. Instead, "[there is] a distressing and embarrassing level of chaos across Whitehall on trade".

This could not be a worse time for disunity. In trade terms the UK finds itself a relative...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/04/03/whitehall-chaos-puts-uks-brexit-trade-strategy-doubt/

Mickeymac

Good OP McS..........

Many posers there for those with zilch strategy.

McSlaggart

death or glory

Patrick Kielty: My Dad, the Peace Deal and Me - ‘I liked Arlene Foster. That confused me’

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/patrick-kielty-my-dad-the-peace-deal-and-me-i-liked-arlene-foster-that-confused-me-1.3450526

It is a good show and I would recommend if you have not seen it you should on some bbc iplayer service.

In it I think "Arlene Foster" give the impression that if their was a united Ireland she would leave?
The key part in your post "I think"....

vivabrigada

Se0samh

Watched it. When Arlene said the above she said, "Of course it's never going to happen", she did so a very defensive manner, like she didn't really believe what she was saying.
Paddy should have asked her WHY she felt she would have to leave a United Ireland.

Perhaps he did...

Craigmore..

Another demented rant by someone who witters on about anything or everything without the slightest bit of Education on his subjects. Yawn and zoo.

McSlaggart

death or glory

I feel sorry for you poor auld fred being totally ignored so i thought i would give it a bump.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies