Govt offer to fund more propaganda by subsidzing 'quality' newspapers

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Alarm klaxons have been going full blast for some time in the KennyBunker (the stench since he brought the pig in...is abominable btw) ...and the Government knows it risks falling

They know that Pravda, sorry RTE, is not punching like it used to...so now they want to suborn the private sector media too

Of note is the fact that Stephen Collins wrote the uncritical love note , sorry, balanced article
Minister raises prospect of State funding for print media
“The important thing is that there is content there that people can rely on,” Minister for Communications Denis Naughten said.

What is "quality journalism" ?
Who will decide what is quality ?

Will this stroke get the Establishment over the hump ?

Will Stephen "Varys" Collins get the troops into line in anticipation of this loot ?

cyp

Cailleach

Alarm klaxons have been going full blast for some time in the KennyBunker (the stench since he brought the pig in...is abominable btw) ...and the Government knows it risks falling

They know that Pravda, sorry RTE, is not punching like it used to...so now they want to suborn the private sector media too

Of note is the fact that Stephen Collins wrote the uncritical love note , sorry, balanced article

Will Stephen "Varys" Collins get the troops into line in anticipation of this loot ?

cyp
Not too often you and I would agree but, on this one, fully in agreement - which shows just how b1oody awful things are!

Last edited:

Mitsui2

To be fair, this government's grasp of propaganda is so hideously weak (if 2011 till now is anything to go by) that I doubt they'd have much effect if they even officially owned all the media.

JCR

cyp
What an incoherent and utterly nonsensical post.

Mad as Fish

Not too often you and I would agree but, on this one, fully in agreement - which shows just how b1oody awful things are!
Count me in on that as well.

I'm all for the printed media and believe it can offer an experience that the web can't but the government has no business running or interfering with it and should it wish to then it tells us more about their insecurity and awareness of their own incompetence than it does the state of the media.

RasherHash

cyp
A TV license for the papers, I like it.

We need gov funding to keep an eye on the shinners and give us balanced reporting about who the yanks latest bombing victim is and why they soooo deserve whats comng to them.

Also we need places where ex-ministers can get well paid directorships for doing sfa just like they do in the Dáil :(

Last edited:

Mad as Fish

cyp

the Minister said he would like to think that print journalism could draw down some of the money that goes to broadcasting at present.

As you say, RTE is losing it, few believe them any more and the magic has gone from the telly, it's star is fading but the newspapers have already shot their bolt so it can only be a last ditch bid for control and if this doesn't work then what next?

On the brighter side it will be entertaining to see the great pomposity of papers evaporate as they go scrabbling for welfare payments.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
A bit of a brain fart really.

The business model that runs newspapers is certainly in crisis, but a government subsidy, via licence or otherwise, is not the answer.

Somebody has to pay for journalism, but it should be the consumers of journalistic output to do so, and not through any government-run mechanism.

He3

Citizens choose to stop giving money to newspapers so Government wants to tax them so it can give money to newspapers.

Amirite?

GDPR

To be fair, this government's grasp of propaganda is so hideously weak (if 2011 till now is anything to go by) that I doubt they'd have much effect if they even officially owned all the media.
Well let's be grateful for that thought then, it would be so much worse if there was any sort of principle involved.

explanatory notes; principles
a personal or specific basis of conduct.

Well done Mitzi, man of lack.

Paddy Sarkozy

the Minister said he would like to think that print journalism could draw down some of the money that goes to broadcasting at present.

As you say, RTE is losing it, few believe them any more and the magic has gone from the telly, it's star is fading but the newspapers have already shot their bolt so it can only be a last ditch bid for control and if this doesn't work then what next?

On the brighter side it will be entertaining to see the great pomposity of papers evaporate as they go scrabbling for welfare payments.

What is that term "draw down"? Where did it come from? I've not heard it before. Perhaps the Minister meant "suck up".

Mad as Fish

Well let's be grateful for that thought then, it would be so much worse if there was any sort of principle involved.

explanatory notes; principles
a personal or specific basis of conduct.

Well done Mitzi, man of lack.
Principles eh!

Do they cover such items as keeping election pledges/promises and not backtracking just as soon as you've counted the votes?

GDPR

Principles eh!

Do they cover such items as keeping election pledges/promises and not backtracking just as soon as you've counted the votes?
They do indeed, but those are very largely dependent on winning that election.
A small point I know, but one worth throwing into the mix if we're not going to fall into that dishonest presentation of events, again.

Mad as Fish

What is that term "draw down"? Where did it come from? I've not heard it before. Perhaps the Minister meant "suck up".
Draw down is the term used when you avail of a loan or a grant made, that is you actually take the money from the pot. What is interesting about it's use here is that he would appear to be saying that the pool of money from which RTE is financed should be spread around the papers as well. He doesn't promise any new money just a reallocation of what is already being spent. It could be a shot across RTE's bow, perhaps they aren't sycophantic enough already.

Mad as Fish

They do indeed, but those are very largely dependent on winning that election.
A small point I know, but one worth throwing into the mix if we're not going to fall into that dishonest presentation of events, again.
Bitter little fellow aren't you.

Mad as Fish

Paddy Sarkozy

Draw down is the term used when you avail of a loan or a grant made, that is you actually take the money from the pot. What is interesting about it's use here is that he would appear to be saying that the pool of money from which RTE is financed should be spread around the papers as well. He doesn't promise any new money just a reallocation of what is already being spent. It could be a shot across RTE's bow, perhaps they aren't sycophantic enough already.

RTE and Irish Times both have high value real estate locations in Dublin.
As taxpayer, I will require the value of those locations to be realised to fund more cost efficient operation of both RTE and Irish Times, operating from cheaper premises in a handy location like around the Red Cow roundabout or similar, before there's any 'drawing down' by anyone of my licence money.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies