Govt paid Indo, Sindo, IrishTimes for good news stories’ over Ireland 2040 plan ..

robut

Government ‘paid for good news stories’ over Ireland 2040 plan

Concerns have been raised about an “ethically dubious deal” between the government and national newspapers that involves journalists writing positive pieces about the Ireland 2040 plan.

The government’s strategic communications unit arranged for sponsored content to appear in local, regional and national newspapers including the Irish Independent and The Irish Times.
"government’s strategic communications unit " - isnt this leos spin factory that taxpayers cash was used to setup OR am I mixing it up with something else?

So the Q now I suppose is what else has been paid off to actually spin in essence, there own fake news??? So WHAT can we believe now from the Gov etc??

Last edited:

borntorum

Not surprising from a propaganda rag like the Inso, but it’s a bit shocking that the Irish Times (the self-described paper of record) would prostitute itself like this.

Not for the first time, we have to rely on the Murdoch press to tell us what’s going on

fifilawe

Isn't that the crowd that Carl Ulick Noel Talk Chris Donoghue of NooseTalk went to work for b4 he was demoted further

gerhard dengler

"government’s strategic communications unit " - isnt this leos spin factory that taxpayers cash was used to setup OR am I mixing it up with something else?

So the Q now I suppose is what else has been paid off to actually spin in essence, there own fake news??? So WHAT can we believe now from the Gov etc??
This government won't thank The Times newspaper for breaking this story.

The government will go in to full "denial mode" strategy, aided and abetted by the same media who spun the 2040 Plan on their behalf.

Embedded (Irish) media doesn't begin to describe it.

And that's taxpayers money the government (ab) used to pay the embedded Irish media.

jmcc

One word describes this activity: Presstitution.

Silentcorner

Not surprising from a propaganda rag like the Inso, but it’s a bit shocking that the Irish Times (the self-described paper of record) would prostitute itself like this.

Not for the first time, we have to rely on the Murdoch press to tell us what’s going on
The Irish Times prostitutes itself as the newspaper of record you mean...

Who'd have thought having all our media based in one city would lend itself to toxic group think...

Dame_Enda

A disturbing blurring of the lines between press and State and political party. Essentially one of the teams on the field is paying the referee for positive decisions.

SuirView

Isn't that the crowd that Carl Ulick Noel Talk Chris Donoghue of NooseTalk went to work for b4 he was demoted further
Why the rage, with 37 posts!

Nesuno

In all fairness none of this is a surprise. What is surprising, however, is that one of their own broke ranks and chose to expose it.

Mickeymac

A disturbing blurring of the lines between press and State and political party. Essentially one of the teams on the field is paying the referee for positive decisions.

Exactly Enda, the Donald put much more dollars into the campaign than the dems and Hilary did.

FOURGREENFIELDS

WHY the faux outrage and mock indignation? The political and media Establishment in the 26 counties have supped from the same poisoned chalice for decades. They went to the same schools (as do their kids), drink in the same bars and clubs, play in the same golf courses etc. They are in each others pockets all the time. They have lied about the North for 40 years, they have covered up, or indulged in, corruption and nefarious activities and they look after their own wee right wing, brown envelope cabal. What next, bear disappears into woods with bog roll?

leftsoc

WHY the faux outrage and mock indignation? The political and media Establishment in the 26 counties have supped from the same poisoned chalice for decades. They went to the same schools (as do their kids), drink in the same bars and clubs, play in the same golf courses etc. They are in each others pockets all the time. They have lied about the North for 40 years, they have covered up, or indulged in, corruption and nefarious activities and they look after their own wee right wing, brown envelope cabal. What next, bear disappears into woods with bog roll?
It is a new low.

What is that quote ' You cannot bribe or twist the British journalist, but seeing what that man will do unbribed, there really is no occasion to' . Maybe I got it wrong.

Fake News. What could more define the concept?

Franzoni

Finbar10

Wasn't Fianna Fáil proposing lately to have state funding for newspapers (via a social media levy)? Put this kind of thing on a more permanent footing? He who pays the piper and all that! :)

gleeful

These articles were marked as sponsored, right? This is standard in newspapers thess days. They are basically paid ads.

GDPR

I have no issue with it. Advertising the purpose of this plan, that scheme and so on. A wide range of services and plans should be advertised to let us know what's going on. Better for us to insist on such being actually delivered.
Btw can the times do a piece on 'Brexit is suicide' and 'blaming on EU for our woes is pathetic'

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

gleeful

I have no issue with it. Advertising the purpose of this plan, that scheme and so on. A wide range of services and plans should be advertised to let us know what's going on. Better for us to insist on such being actually delivered.
Btw can the times do a piece on 'Brexit is suicide' and 'blaming on EU for our woes is pathetic'

Indeed. Are they saying the gov should spend €115,000,000,000 without letting the public know the details?

Supra

If that's the case the media have no role in our democracy. If they have no role, there is no democracy.

GDPR

Indeed. Are they saying the gov should spend €115,000,000,000 without letting the public know the details?
The more pressing issues like Leo's socks and foreigners in Blanchardstown clearly warrant greater scrutiny...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies