• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Govt spending up 7.2% on January 2012

LDF

Our government spent €3.9bn in January 2013 - a 7.2% increase on January 2012. This is current expenditure - nothing to do with the PN's or interest on debts. The tax take was up 3% on the same period. The government's decision to dump it's 2/3:1/3 spending cuts to tax increases promise is taking effect but it isn't working. The current account deficit rose from €513m in January 2012 to €679m in January 2013.

Spending in Joan Burton's department of Social Protection is out of control - 18% up on January 2012.

These figures represent the government's report card and they are failing badly. There are a couple of questions raised by these numbers:-

-Labour has lost 5 TD's due to a fairly tame implementation of austerity. What happens when this government runs out of road and has to start cutting deep?..and they will run out of road.

-Would the Troika be more willing to "help" us if our government showed greater willingness to manage those areas of public finance in which it is currently in full control?

-Do we really want to say goodbye to the Troika and let this government continue on its current path unsupervised?

-How long will FG backbenchers tolerate their party stumbling down the path of high tax and spend

-Do FF have anything to say on the rising deficit or are they content to cynically stick to the safe ground of attacking Labour and every minor cut this govt imposes?

Tax take, current spending rise in January - RTÉ News

Last edited:

Crazy horse 6

Who cares what FF think? Bunch of tramps who ruined our society is all they are.

True Republican

wow current spending up 7.2% and people are giving out about so called cuts in public spending.

Astral Peaks

Great OP, LDF.

Good luck with actually asking posters on here to put aside ideology and deal in reality.....

commonman

Funny thing there is thousands coming in to the country and going on SW .

LDF

Who cares what FF think? Bunch of tramps who ruined our society is all they are.
Unfortunately, we need a government and we may need one to replace the current one before too long. FF, I'm afraid, are back in the game. Unfortunately, Mr Martin seems content with a Fr Trendy style of leadership but there's always hope.

Hewson

Our government spent €3.9bn in January 2013 - a 7.2% increase on January 2012. This is current expenditure - nothing to do with the PN's or interest on debts. The tax take was up 3% on the same period. The government's decision to dump it's 2/3:1/3 spending cuts to tax increases promise is taking effect but it isn't working. The current account deficit rose from €513m in January 2012 to €679m in January 2013.

Spending in Joan Burton's department of Social Protection is out of control - 18% up on January 2012.

These figures represent the government's report card and they are failing badly. There are a couple of questions raised by these numbers:-

-Labour has lost 5 TD's due to a fairly tame implementation of austerity. What happens when this government runs out of road and has to start cutting deep?..and they will run out of road.

-Would the Troika be more willing to "help" us if our government showed greater willingness to manage those areas of public finance in which it is currently in full control?

-Do we really want to say goodbye to the Troika and let this government continue on its current path unsupervised?

-How long will FG backbenchers tolerate their party stumbling down the path of high tax and spendin

-Do FF have anything to say on the rising deficit or are they content to cynically stick to the safe ground of attacking Labour and every minor cut this govt imposes?

Tax take, current spending rise in January - RTÉ News
When I heard these figures I had only one thought.

How do we justify the payment of pay increments to public servants in a country as utterly bankrupt as we are? And I'm not trying to turn this into a PS bashing thread, but it just shows how bent, bizarre and wacky our logic has become in this recession.

ruserious

Unfortunately, we need a government and we may need one to replace the current one before too long. FF, I'm afraid, are back in the game. Unfortunately, Mr Martin seems content with a Fr Trendy style of leadership but there's always hope.

viper999

Its time to cut the dole we simply can't afford it a 188 a week, they a have screwed the middle class, now it's time to hit people who simply don't contribute and leech of the state, it should be based on the tax you have paid while working, if you have never paid tax ,tough!there is 100 quid a week the state is broke, what other country that has the i.m.f in pays crazy social welfare rates

True Republican

Its time to cut the dole we simply can't afford it a 188 a week, they a have screwed the middle class, now it's time to hit people who simply don't contribute and leech of the state, it should be based on the tax you have paid while working, if you have never paid tax ,tough!there is 100 quid a week the state is broke, what other country that has the i.m.f in pays crazy social welfare rates
I agree the dole should be a maximum of €150 per week, its is far too high in Ireland, child benefit could also be cut by a further 30% as well, sacred cows like the OAP need to be cut, OAPS are hardly going to die on €190 per week, rent allowance needs to be severely cut as well, ditto with back to school allowances, lone parent family payment etc.

LDF

When I heard these figures I had only one thought.

How do we justify the payment of pay increments to public servants in a country as utterly bankrupt as we are? And I'm not trying to turn this into a PS bashing thread, but it just shows how bent, bizarre and wacky our logic has become in this recession.
I think the "national logic" you refer to is older than the recession. The same logic convinced us we could run the economy on building and selling houses to each other. The two periods have something in common - a political class unwilling or unable to tell unpalatable truths and lead.

LDF

Can someone please tell me if people immigrating to Ireland can go straight on to SW? Surely not!
Of course not. Ignore the b0ll0x.

gijoe

On the revenue side €170million of the stamp duty was stuff brought forward and VAT barely rose despite the top VAT rate rising from 21 to 23% over January 2012 returns.....

Clanrickard

Time to slash public sector pay and welfare.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies