• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Govt to approve Abortion Bill on Tuesday (SBP). Creighton may resign (Sindo)

TommyO'Brien

John Burns has just tweeted this in his weekly review of the Sunday papers.

John burns ‏@JohnBurnsST Biz Post p3 lead: Cabinet expected to approve law allowing for limited abortion when it meets on Tuesday. (Expect a picket outside)

He also tweeted

john burns ‏@JohnBurnsST
Sindo p1 also reports "informed sources" as claiming Lucinda Creighton will resign as minister if abortion legislation is "too liberal"

So it looks as if all the pressure from hardline pro-lifers, some of it pretty vile, hasn't worked. What will they do between now and Tuesday to up the ante?

ruserious

I thought Lucinda and Leo were the darling twins of FG's youthful future Thatcher reincarnation squad?

GDPR

John burns ‏@JohnBurnsST Biz Post p3 lead: Cabinet expected to approve law allowing for limited abortion when it meets on Tuesday. (Expect a picket outside)

He also tweeted

john burns ‏@JohnBurnsST
Sindo p1 also reports "informed sources" as claiming Lucinda Creighton will resign as minister if abortion legislation is "too liberal"

So it looks as if all the pressure from hardline pro-lifers, some of it pretty vile, hasn't worked. What will they do between now and Tuesday to up the ante?
Is this the vile payoff to Labour for the vile regressive budget?

Well done Enda, those pro life principles went cheap, didn't they?

Tea Shark

What will they do between now and Tuesday to up the ante?
Well accepting the will of others certainly doesn't occur naturally there so we shall see.

Hooch

Kenny would happily let her go I imagine, she's never been anything but a thorn in his side.

She's been a complete disgrace during this whole debate, a Minister for European Affairs that thinks we should ignore the ECHR and a barrister that thinks the Govt. can ignore the Supreme Court and the Constitution.

If she goes then good riddance, I'm sure she'll have a great time sitting near Wallace and Ming.

True Republican

in what limited circumstances will abortion be legalised in? Will it be along the lines of the x case which could lead to abortion on demand?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
There is zero chance she will resign, she is aiming for a position in Europe and wont let anything get in the way of that ambition. A principled resignation wouldnt look good on her CV.

GDPR

in what limited circumstances will abortion be legalised in? Will it be along the lines of the x case which could lead to abortion on demand?
No, no, we won't call it that, that is what it would be, but we'll call it something nice as though we were doing the foetus a favour by killing it.

finbin o toole

Kenny would happily let her go I imagine, she's never been anything but a thorn in his side.

She's been a complete disgrace during this whole debate, a Minister for European Affairs that thinks we should ignore the ECHR and a barrister that thinks the Govt. can ignore the Supreme Court and the Constitution.

If she goes then good riddance, I'm sure she'll have a great time sitting near Wallace and Ming.
You mean shes been a total disgrace because she disagrees with you.Explain exactly how the governmentS ignored the constitution

TommyO'Brien

The X case is the constitutional law of the state, so of course it has to be based on it. The people were offered two chances to change X and voted not to so so. So by definition it has to be based on X.

True Republican

No, no, we won't call it that, that is what it would be, but we'll call it something nice as though we were doing the foetus a favour by killing it.
i'm pro life myself, i voted for fg in the last election. Peter matthews got my number 1 preference although in fairness matthews has even more conservative views on abortion than myself.

nonpartyboy

If this is true which i very much doubt, there will be far more that creighton going, some people actually have principles other than money.

We all know how divisive abortion is , and we are to believe fg would cause mayhem in the party to get some budget passed, i don't think so.....

True Republican

If this is true which i very much doubt, there will be far more that creighton going, some people actually have principles other than money.

We all know how divisive abortion is , and we are to believe fg would cause mayhem in the party to get some budget passed, i don't think so.....
i'd say james bannon would resign, also possibly ms fonication mulkerrins as well.

ger12

The X case is the constitutional law of the state, so of course it has to be based on it. The people were offered two chances to change X and voted not to so so. So by definition it has to be based on X.
Genuinely wishing not to rehash that debate here, it should be pointed out that the last time the people were asked, 49% voted to exclude suicide as a reason to terminate a pregnancy. Of the 51% who voted against that amendment, a sizable number would have been "pro-life". This is of real concern in a country where the people are sovereign as what exactly the people wish to see in this regard is not clear.

darach

As a barrister, Creighton should accept the decision of the Supreme Court and the need for legislation. However, it seems her resignation is only dependent on the legislation being too liberal.

Victor Meldrew

Great to see if this comes off. Lucinda, that is. Reckon the legislation will be a fudge, but it will be something

sadmal

He also tweeted

john burns ‏@JohnBurnsST

Invite the Bishops around for tea and tactics maybe?

Tea Shark

As a barrister, Creighton should accept the decision of the Supreme Court and the need for legislation. However, it seems her resignation is only dependent on the legislation being too liberal.
How self defeating.

LDF

This should be interesting. An unpopular FG Minister and an incompetent AG are about to unveil some abortion legislation for FG to rubber stamp. Sometimes I think this govt want's FF back in office.

titmouse

Genuinely wishing not to rehash that debate here, it should be pointed out that the last time the people were asked, 49% voted to exclude suicide as a reason to terminate a pregnancy. Of the 51% who voted against that amendment, a sizable number would have been "pro-life". This is of real concern in a country where the people are sovereign as what exactly the people wish to see in this regard is not clear.
And when 51% of people vote to torture your children to death in front of your eyes, I'm sure you'll be misty-eyed in admiration for the wisdom of the masses.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies