Govt to spend €100m on two new ships for Naval Service

Grumpy Jack

Navy to spend ?100 million on new vessels | Newstalk - Ireland's National Independent Talk Radio Broadcaster

The Government has confirmed its pressing ahead with plans to spend €100 million on 2 new naval vessels.

The announcement was made as the LE Niamh returned to its base in Haulbowline in Co. Cork today after a 10 week trip to Latin America.

The first of the new vessels should be delivered in 2014 to some of the older fleet which are over 30 years old.
I'm all for this but stunned they are doing it now. I honestly thought they would try to kick this to touch for another year or two.

The Naval Service is very overstreched and does some great work under very difficult circumstances but they need modern equipment to do the job properly. Looks like NS simply can't make Aisling, Aoife and Emer last quite as long Dept of Finance hoped.

What do others think of this?

Alola

€100m for 20 year-old off-the-shelf technology.

We need one of these bad boys:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUM2vk1bRg4"]YouTube- Future Ships Of The Royal Navy[/ame]

Bobert

They'll be entering negotiations with Babcock Marine which is based in the UK but that's not to say they will receive the contract.

corelli

FrankSpeaks

I don't think there is any shipyard in the Ireland with the capability, maybe Harland and Wolff in Belfast could do them. The project will go out to tender with the lowest price being the winner. Protecting our sea's does not come cheap.

Last edited:

Grumpy Jack

Probably Appledore in Devon where Roisin and Niamh were built. Waiting on more details.

Not the hospital ship - that's the Enhanced Patol Vessel that was part of the original tender but has been long-finged so the two OPVs can be bought now.

It alone would have cost circa €100m. Will probably come back on agenda in a few years time when Eithne needs replaced post 2015.

Replacing Emer and Aoife is now the priority - they were introduced in 1978 and 79 respectively. Aisling came into service in 1980 and should be replaced with a third OPV that was an option in the tender - if option is taken up in next year or two.

seabhac siulach

Navy to spend ?100 million on new vessels | Newstalk - Ireland's National Independent Talk Radio Broadcaster

I'm all for this but stunned they are doing it now. I honestly thought they would try to kick this to touch for another year or two.

The Naval Service is very overstreched and does some great work under very difficult circumstances but they need modern equipment to do the job properly. Looks like NS simply can't make Aisling, Aoife and Emer last quite as long Dept of Finance hoped.

What do others think of this?
100 million for two ships seem a bit steep...
You would imagine that they could buy some 2nd hand patrol boats off the Spanish, British or French for a fraction of that. Boats that would tide them over (excuse the pun) until the economic situation improves. It is a bit hard to justify defence spending when other parts of society will be made to do without, e.g. lack of cystic fibrosis units, etc. 100 million would also buy a lot of respite and nursing care, for example.
Crazy.

BlowIn

Some good news for the Naval Service at last, we could do with 6 new ships but two will do for now.

Thankfully the end is in sight for Emer and Aoife so.

Grumpy Jack

Here's the press release from Defence

Department of Defence - Press Releases

Minister Killeen announces Government approval to finalise negotiations for the purchase of Two New Naval Service Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs)

The Minister for Defence, Mr. Tony Killeen, TD, with his cabinet colleague the Minister for Finance, Mr. Brian Lenihan, TD, were today (Thursday 15th July 2010), at the Naval Service Base in Haulbowline, Cork to welcome home the Naval Service vessel the L.E. Niamh from her ten week mission to Latin America. This deployment was in support of the strong cultural and heritage links between Ireland and South America, to mark the celebration of the bicentenaries of independence by Mexico, Argentina, and Chile, and to promote Ireland and Irish trade links in these countries. The Captain of the LE Niamh is Lieutenant Commander Kenneth Minehane, a native of Bantry, Co. Cork, and there were 46 crew on the mission.

Speaking on the LE Niamh in Cork Minister Killeen said “The trade and diplomatic mission to Latin America, which was undertaken by the LE Niamh, was a significant initiative from Ireland’s perspective and is an example of the continued effective inter-departmental cooperation, particularly in the area of trade. The Captain and crew of the ship have carried out excellent work on behalf of the State in furthering our national interests in the region. I would like to commend them on their achievements and thank them for their service.”

Minister Killeen continued “I am delighted to be able to announce today that following discussions with my cabinet colleague Mr. Brian Lenihan, T.D., Government approval has been received for the Department of Defence and the Naval Service to enter into discussions with UK based shipbuilder Babcock Marine, with a view to finalising negotiations for the purchase of two new Naval Service Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs).

The decision to proceed with the final award of the contract to purchase the OPV’s is subject to these negotiations reaching a satisfactory outcome. I hope to be in a position to make a formal announcement regarding the award of the contract for the new OPV’s by November 2010. However, as you can appreciate, as negotiations are ongoing it would be inappropriate for me to comment further on them at this time except to wish the officials in the Department of Defence and the Naval Service well in these negotiations”.

Minister Lenihan said “I am also pleased to be here in Haulbowline this afternoon with Minister Killeen for this major announcement. I am especially pleased that in agreeing the Defence Estimates for 2011 it has been possible to provide for this key defence priority.”

ManfredJudge

No, two patrol vessels. Enda will have to wait!!

Perhaps one of these guys could get one? I mean Enda does not have leadership ability but the island is not finished with him yet.

Munnkeyman

We'll really be able to take it to the Spanish fishermen now, comin' over here stealin' our fish. The 10% of the drugs interdicted will still probably just wash up on the shore.

Grumpy Jack

100 million for two ships seem a bit steep...
You would imagine that they could buy some 2nd hand patrol boats off the Spanish, British or French for a fraction of that. Boats that would tide them over (excuse the pun) until the economic situation improves. It is a bit hard to justify defence spending when other parts of society will be made to do without, e.g. lack of cystic fibrosis units, etc. 100 million would also buy a lot of respite and nursing care, for example.
Crazy.
Second hand options were considered and there was nothing that suited Ireland's needs. Most of UK, Spanish, French, etc, vessels are Nato standard and too much for our needs.

Now is the right time to buy them - despite the crisis in public finances - as tender prices now are much lower than a few years ago.

How exactly do you suggest we patrol Irish waters without patrol ships?

Three of the NS ships are at the end of their service lives and have taken a battering in the Atlantic for 30 years. Because of that, the NS can't keep them going much longer - despite their best efforts.

Alola

Surely we could retire a few of these guys?

They should have been retired off long ago. The dude in the faded uniform on the bottom left reminds me of Pte Pile from Full Metal Jacket. The dude on the bottom right looks like the vegetarian IT guy in my office. I wish them all a good piss-up in Haulbowline tonight. The mess is probably in overdrive as we speak. What is it? €1 a pop these days?

cozzy121

Methinks this should be in the transport section.

Grumpy Jack

Methinks this should be in the transport section.
It should be in a Defence section but P.ie doesn't have one.

I put it in economy cos the Govt is spending our money on them.

Why should it be in Transport - cos the ships move?

Mods can feel free to move it to what they deem a suitable forum.

BlowIn

Hiya Aloha, Old joke kid, find a new one or you just trying to annoy people do you have anything to say about the new vessels or are you just going to slag of men who have served their country well far away from home for three months?

Messes dont open during the day anymore so your info is well outta date, the crews families were given tea, coffee and softdrinks in a marguee type tent (olive green of course) erected on the quay wall.

The mess in Haulbowline is very rarely used except for the odd long course passing out parades such as at the end of basic training and PNCOs course etc.

Pints are still very cheap about 2.50 I think as the DF canteen board is not allowed make massive profits, they just have to pay for the product and the tax really.

Alola

Hiya Aloha, Old joke kid, find a new one or you just trying to annoy people do you have anything to say about the new vessels or are you just going to slag of men who have served their country well far away from home for three months?

Messes dont open during the day anymore so your info is well outta date, the crews families were given tea, coffee and softdrinks in a marguee type tent (olive green of course) erected on the quay wall.

The mess in Haulbowline is very rarely used except for the odd long course passing out parades such as at the end of basic training and PNCOs course etc.

Pints are still very cheap about 2.50 I think as the DF canteen board is not allowed make massive profits, they just have to pay for the product and the tax really.
Right... Tea and buns... I've no problem having a good aul whooley, but come off it... Sailors + port = drink.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies