• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Grafton Street "Improvements"

Killerbank

Dublin City Council has announced that the existing distinctive red paving on Grafton Street is to be ripped up and replaced by grey granite paving at a cost of €4 million. This work will start just as the tourist season begins and will disrupt the city's main shopping street for over a year. The results will be to make the surface of Grafton Street look more or less the same as the dull grey granite of Henry Street.

The council cites, as justification for this mutilation of the highly distinctive and much admired Grafton Street surface, the fact that many of the existing red bricks have to be replaced from time to time (due to the council's poor supervision of roadworks by third parties) and that this maintenance is too expensive. Hardly more expensive, however, than the €4 million they propose to spend to make the street look worse. How expensive can it be to replace and re-position a few hundred (at worst) red paving bricks of the kind found in thousands of domestic driveways?

Dublin City Council: Dublin City Council launches Grafton Street Improvement Scheme

It this destructive plan based on the expectation by the council of receiving a big influx of funds from the new Local Propery Tax now being introduced in such a draconian fashion by the Minister for Finance?

johnfás

It all started to go down hill when they replaced the Christmas lights with bling.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Irish quirks:

1). If it's not broken, make an excuse and break it.
2). If it is broken, ignore it till it's someone else's problem.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
It all started to go down hill when they replaced the Christmas lights with bling.
It all started to go down hill when they stopped cars driving down the street.

slippy wicket

Irish quirks:

That would be funny if it wasn't the gods honest truth. ;)

EUrJokingMeRight

Fickle street, it's so totally representative of the target audience. Red brick is sooo last season. It must be changed at any cost!

Boy M5

I wonder what the retailers have to say about this?
I can imagine Bolland and Weston getting their Mont Blancs out of their drawers to write to the City Manager.
Do Mont Blanc make green ink?

Dougal

First thing that came to mind when I say this title was hope the hell they are going to do something about the carpark charges in the Royal College of Surgeons and St Stephen's Green Car Park. Last time I was there, which was over a year ago, I paid over €18 for 3 hours 15 minutes or something like that in the Royal College of Surgeons carpark. After that I said I would never go back and have not done.

Edit - it was just a few minutes over four hours and just slightly below €18. Still totally outrageous.

Last edited:

Franzoni

Irish quirks:

Laffin..:lol:

Having seen more jobs 'invented' by certain parties whilst in the construction industry i can attest that this is more true than many realise....

shoneen

I'd be glad to see the end of the red brick - it was very British "High Street" at the time - however I can't see why they need to change it now.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the contract!

firefly123

I work for Dublin city council. Sometimes I wonder where the lobotomy surgeries take place in the civic offices because most of the ordinary staff seem to be reasonably intelligent humans.

Spanner Island

Dublin City Council has announced that the existing distinctive red paving on Grafton Street is to be ripped up and replaced by grey granite paving at a cost of €4 million. This work will start just as the tourist season begins and will disrupt the city's main shopping street for over a year. The results will be to make the surface of Grafton Street look more or less the same as the dull grey granite of Henry Street.

The council cites, as justification for this mutilation of the highly distinctive and much admired Grafton Street surface, the fact that many of the existing red bricks have to be replaced from time to time (due to the council's poor supervision of roadworks by third parties) and that this maintenance is too expensive. Hardly more expensive, however, than the €4 million they propose to spend to make the street look worse. How expensive can it be to replace and re-position a few hundred (at worst) red paving bricks of the kind found in thousands of domestic driveways?

Dublin City Council: Dublin City Council launches Grafton Street Improvement Scheme

It this destructive plan based on the expectation by the council of receiving a big influx of funds from the new Local Propery Tax now being introduced in such a draconian fashion by the Minister for Finance?
Is that your opinion or do you know people have been 'much admiring' the current sh!te?

imo ripping up the red brick is long overdue although I've little confidence that what will replace it will be much better...

Henry St. and O'Connell St. look dull and grey most of the time and particularly during our long dull winters when the greenery is gone from the few trees that are left...

Regarding the jist of the OP... while it is infuriating to see county councils 're-engineering' roundabouts and junctions that don't need it, or installing pedestrian lights which aren't required and which seem to take months to do, or prettying up areas that don't need prettying up... Grafton St. looks and has looked like a kip for a long time now and certainly needs work...

Therefore imo... the OP is just another tedious whinge for the sake of having a whinge...

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
I'd be glad to see the end of the red brick - it was very British "High Street" at the time - however I can't see why they need to change it now.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the contract!
IF if its the same company that ripped up and replaced parnell st last year it will be sierra got to keep em busy till they get the water meter installation contract nailed .

Spanner Island

First thing that came to mind when I say this title was hope the hell they are going to do something about the carpark charges in the Royal College of Surgeons and St Stephen's Green Car Park. Last time I was there, which was over a year ago, I paid over €18 for 3 hours 15 minutes or something like that in the Royal College of Surgeons carpark. After that I said I would never go back and have not done.
Car parking charges are extortionate throughout Dublin...

It's a symptom of the brain dead idiots who work for the council and the rip off merchants who are allowed run car parks...

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown are the same...

No vision. No imagination. No nothing.

Just continue to hike charges as businesses continue to close down and f*** off...

Most of the tossers in county councils around the country are f***ing clueless and do more damage than good to their localities...

Crazy horse 6

You can just imagine the meetings at DDC.

"The plebs are actually paying the household charge"

"Jesus we better spend the money on something to justify the charge"

" Lets dig up grafton street and put down some grey paving slabs that'll fool em"

Analyzer

As somebody who knows nobody who shops on Grafton Street, I don't care what condition it is in.

But, once again, we see FG/LP looking after the well-to-do, with the money extorted from the rest of us.

Do the idiots in the DoF have any idea of the state of the roads in Limerick, Dundalk, Waterford, etc...?

Dougal

Car parking charges are extortionate throughout Dublin...

It's a symptom of the brain dead idiots who work for the council and the rip off merchants who are allowed run car parks...

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown are the same...

No vision. No imagination. No nothing.

Just continue to hike charges as businesses continue to close down and f*** off...

Most of the tossers in county councils around the country are f***ing clueless and do more damage than good to their localities...
Completly agree, I don't really drive into Dublin anymore. If I go in, which is very rare, I go in on the bus and therefore would not really buy much as I have no car to transport it back. I can understand that the charges would be higher then some other areas but €4 plus an hour is just taking the p1ss. You are already paying a premium if you want to eat, but I accept that. But it really is a shame for the retailers, they are the ones that are suffering. If I do drive in I go the carpark at the back of the Church Pub near Penny's, much more reasonable, but as for Stephens Green Shopping Centre/Grafton Street, have not been there for ages and am not likely to go there anytime soon.

Spanner Island

As somebody who knows nobody who shops on Grafton Street, I don't care what condition it is in.

But, once again, we see FG/LP looking after the well-to-do, with the money extorted from the rest of us.

Do the idiots in the DoF have any idea of the state of the roads in Limerick, Dundalk, Waterford, etc...?
Careful there Analyzer...

You're turning into one of them me feiners...

As someone who doesn't go near Grafton St. or the city centre if I can help it, I don't much care about Grafton Street from a personal viewpoint... but I do understand that Dublin is a revenue generator for the entire country and that it attracts increasing numbers of visitors who aren't particularly interested in going elsewhere in the country...

So even if you never set foot in Dublin and you hate the place, it does make sense for the country to ensure it remains attractive and continues to pull in visitors...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies