• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Grand Opening of Tipperary Racecourse

Aristodemus

Nice to see this major development at the track. One of my favourite little courses in Ireland. Pity then that they had to invite former jailbird and tax dodger Lester Piggott to do the necessary for the grand opening. No doubt he will be in the company of famed local tax dodger and all round bad egg, Michael Lowry who will be able to impart information on how NOT to face the threat of jail.

http://www.tipperaryraces.ie/Tipperary/News/Lester-Piggott-to-Officially-Open-New-Development-at-Tipperary-Races/

Analyzer

Nice to see this major development at the track. One of my favourite little courses in Ireland. Pity then that they had to invite former jailbird and tax dodger Lester Piggott to do the necessary for the grand opening. No doubt he will be in the company of famed local tax dodger and all round bad egg, Michael Lowry who will be able to impart information on how NOT to face the threat of jail.

http://www.tipperaryraces.ie/Tipperary/News/Lester-Piggott-to-Officially-Open-New-Development-at-Tipperary-Races/
Were they building an extension ?

Analyzer

patfitzbally

lester was a brilliant jockey,yes he evaded tax and was caught and paid the justifiable penalty.whats your problem?do you know how much the irish bloodstock industry pays in tax

freewillie

Call it what you like it will always be Limerick Junction to me as with Mallow

corelli

I thought Piggott was dead, actually.

Fractional Reserve

Great to see Lester Piggott and I hope he kept all the loot he squirreled away from the government f88kheads

freewillie

Mallow will always be Limerick Junction too?

If you knew your racing you would know they renamed Mallow racecourse as Cork racecourse

ManOfReason

Reminds me of this little bit of pub trivia:

Q) Which twenty stone man rode an Epsom Derby winner?

A) Lester Piggott's cellmate.

:)

BookFace

Reminds me of this little bit of pub trivia:

Q) Which twenty stone man rode an Epsom Derby winner?

A) Lester Piggott's cellmate.

:)
hehehe...... 20years since i heard that. good wan.

i went to kempton park one bank holiday back in the day,lester rode 4 winners,i think........ it was his first day back riding after doing time. must check that.

BookFace

my memory is failing me........... why did i think walter swinburn rode shergar to win the irish derby?????

Tea Party Patriot

I'll never forget Lester coming out of goal to ride Rodrigo de triano to both Irish and English 2000 Guineas wins, had him backed on the both occasions.

On the OP's comments, people really don't give a flying fup what Lester did with his personal taxes that is between him and the UK government. He was the greatest flat jockey of all time and that's all that matters and will matter when he reopens Tipperary Racecourse.

ManOfReason

my memory is failing me........... why did i think walter swinburn rode shergar to win the irish derby?????
Walter Swinburn was a couple of years ahead of me in school. Saw him make a last minute dropgoal to get the JCT to the final (he was scrumhalf of course). By the time his class mates were doing their leaving he was a millionaire star jockey. Some people just have 'it' from the start.