• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Grave Robber Joan (Is her budget comment on robbing "property tax" from the dead the worst ever?)

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
If people can't afford to pay this tax when they're alive, it kind of gives a lie to the idea that this is a wealth tax.
It's not a transaction tax. It's not an income tax. It's not a tax on disposable income either. Nor is it a wealth tax.

It's a property tax.

Crazy horse 6

Stamp duty is a transaction tax, not even close to a property tax.

If you bought a property you had to pay it. If that's not a tax then i don't know what is. Anyway i won't be paying the bank tax either way.

happytuesdays

Blood sucking grave robber Joan, being an accountant knows full well that the property tax for the wealthy will bring in a teeny weeny fraction of what "labour's" desired increase in the USC would take in.
Venusian won't get off the tit even when his mother is dead.

I would make the wrinklies sell and move.

Anyway i won't be paying the bank tax either way.
No income, No assets, No job?

Toland

Website
If you bought a property you had to pay it. If that's not a tax then i don't know what is. Anyway i won't be paying the bank tax either way.
A transaction tax is a tax on transactions. A property tax is a tax on holding (as opposed to acquiring) property.

I'm happy for you that you won't be required to pay the "bank tax" (though I'm not clear on what you're referring to).

jacko

Its actually no different than the household charge

All those that are saying they'll never pay - when they die there solicitor will not be able to dispose of the property or conclude the probate until the charge (plus penalties) has been paid

Crazy horse 6

A transaction tax is a tax on transactions. A property tax is a tax on holding (as opposed to acquiring) property.

I'm happy for you that you won't be required to pay the "bank tax" (though I'm not clear on what you're referring to).
You know what i'm talking about. The property tax is a bank tax nothing more or less. The money will be payed by the plebs to pay off the banks and their gambling debts. You know it and much as i do.

TheWexfordInn

You know what i'm talking about. The property tax is a bank tax nothing more or less. The money will be payed by the plebs to pay off the banks and their gambling debts. You know it and much as i do.
So its a bank tax In that sense that at this moment in time all taxes are bank taxes.

daveL

It is a tax. A transaction tax

It is not a property tax.

Howya

No. Burton's biggest gaffe was when she told the nation

"we are in this recession, because we have run out of money".
Really? And she's an accountant!

Howya

petunia

What about Burton's NAMA €15 billion gaff on the Marian Finucane show?
Still not convinced that wasn't a gaffe....another decade to wait to find out.....

Howya

If people can't afford to pay this tax when they're alive, it kind of gives a lie to the idea that this is a wealth tax.
Not really, in this case the home owner doesn't have any liquid wealth, all the "wealth" is tied up in a house. The home owner could sell up and move to a smaller home but then we get into a long argument about people being forced out of their homes etc. And this is the problem with the property tax - to make it fair will need so many exemptions that it will become a nightmare.

Toland

Website
Not really, in this case the home owner doesn't have any liquid wealth, all the "wealth" is tied up in a house. The home owner could sell up and move to a smaller home but then we get into a long argument about people being forced out of their homes etc. And this is the problem with the property tax - to make it fair will need so many exemptions that it will become a nightmare.
It's not a wealth tax; it's a property tax.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Someone's home is not wealth, it is their home.

ShoutingIsLeadership

It's not a transaction tax. It's not an income tax. It's not a tax on disposable income either. Nor is it a wealth tax.

It's a property tax.
It isn't a property tax. This tax does not apply to shares, cars, cash, etc.; it applies to houses alone. It's a house tax, if you own the house.

SPN

No. Burton's biggest gaffe was when she told the nation

"we are in this recession, because we have run out of money".
Where's the gaffe in that?

A tap of €1.1 Billion a week was turned off. That's the recession in one sentence.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies