Great fortnight for unionism as a political philosophy

wildmind

Another great achievement of the so-called Republican party in the South; the last few weeks have given a huge intellectual boost to unionism.

Who could honestly argue that further political and economic integration with the Southern State is in the interests of Northern Ireland?

It was an argument that could increasingly have made in a friendly way now that the violence is over.

But its completely redundant now.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Another great achievement of the so-called Republican party in the South; the last few weeks have given a huge intellectual boost to unionism.

Who could honestly argue that further political and economic integration with the Southern State is in the interests of Northern Ireland?

It was an argument that could increasingly have made in a friendly way now that the violence is over.

Well I cannot see how the so-called Republican party in the South in the last few weeks have given a huge intellectual boost to unionism ? If anyone is getting a huge political boost from this crisis, it's obviously Sinn Fein as was seen in Donegal yesterday. I don't know why you could possibly see how it could give a huge intellectual boost to unionism from this. Would you say that it's main leader Paisley for the last 40 years can string an intellectual arguement except saying NO, NO, NO ?

As I have stated in another thread before, things had to come to this for the people of the 26 to wake up to the lieing Gombeen men who run this state. The Gombeen state never had any principle since the day it was founded, it was founded by Gombeen men in the interests of Gombeen men.

Now I have had my issues with Sinn Fein in the past, but I have to hand it to them, their certainly offering the alternative to the Gombeen politics of the past. The as you say so called Repblican party Fianna Fail are heading to meltdown and you know who is going to take the mantle of the Republican party. Ok SF are not going to win a majority in the next election, maybe 8 seats. But the thing is, they are going to become a major force down here in the next 8 to 10 years of austerity ( not that their wouldn't be any shortage of austerity across the border as in http://www.politics.ie/3222919-post62.html).

And the nationalist population in the north is on the ever increase and with a younger population who will be registering to vote while the older unionist vote dies off. Maybe it will take another 20 years before it's the majority, but after waiting 8 centuries we can wait another decade or two ;). Besides in the mean time SF may well be the largest party in the north in the next assembly elections. Bet wee 'Protestant Ulster' will enjoy a SFer as first minister !!!

Last edited:

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
I never knew that unionism was capable of intellectual thought ? Is this what you have in mind, they certainly impressed the world with this kind of behaviour.

YouTube - Paisley Hassles the Pope (1988)

Catalpa

The northern statelet is completely dependent on Britain for its continued existence, politically, financially and militarily.

The primary example on the World stage of what Artificial polity is in practise.

Outside of sport it has nothing to be proud of that it has achieved in some 90 years by it own efforts alone.:oops:

Jakey

The original poster is quite right of course. Mitchell McLaughlin talks of the need to prove that the island of Ireland can be economically self-sufficient, but this crisis has proved proved that such self-sufficiency is impossible. Ireland was too small to stimulate its economy, too small to withstand the attentions of the markets as Britain was able to do, and too small to stand up to Merkel's hectoring. We now see that Ireland is mere flotsam on the waves of geo-politics - it can do okay during the good times, but when the bad times arrive, it is completely defenceless.

So what Ireland desperately needs is a minder - a larger, more powerful but adjacent country who can look out for Ireland's interests and help it out in times of need. It would be a bonus if this minder could speak the same language and observe the same laws and broadly share the same culture and values.

I think there's probably only one contender for that role...

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
The original poster is quite right of course. Mitchell McLaughlin talks of the need to prove that the island of Ireland can be economically self-sufficient, but this crisis has proved proved that such self-sufficiency is impossible. Ireland was too small to stimulate its economy, too small to withstand the attentions of the markets as Britain was able to do, and too small to stand up to Merkel's hectoring. We now see that Ireland is mere flotsam on the waves of geo-politics - it can do okay during the good times, but when the bad times arrive, it is completely defenceless.

So what Ireland desperately needs is a minder - a larger, more powerful but adjacent country who can look out for Ireland's interests and help it out in times of need. It would be a bonus if this minder could speak the same language and observe the same laws and broadly share the same culture and values.

I think there's probably only one contender for that role...
Yeah the country that is in debt of £4.8 trillion and had the to have the IMF in to sort them out in 1974 is in no position to lecture others. Besides -

Pathetic attempt at trolling :rolleyes:

Jakey

Yeah the country that is in debt of £4.8 trillion and had the to have the IMF in to sort them out in 1974 is in no position to lecture others. Besides -

Pathetic attempt at trolling :rolleyes:
How fantastically ironic - being labelled a troll by Slab. I imagine it must be vaguely like being accused of financial mismanagement by Brian Cowen.

As I said on an earlier post, Slab, the UK is currently paying 3.36% on its 10 year bonds. That tells you all you need to know.

Schomberg

The proof of the pudding.....

Darren H

The northern statelet is completely dependent on Britain for its continued existence, politically, financially and militarily.

The primary example on the World stage of what Artificial polity is in practise.

Outside of sport it has nothing to be proud of that it has achieved in some 90 years by it own efforts alone.:oops:
Better than being completely dependent on Britain, the IMF and the EU for its continued existence, politically, financially and militarily.

And at least the interest rates and monetary policy in the north are set within its own political sphere.

What has the Republic achieved in 90 years 'by its own efforts alone'? Prolonging the war against Nazism count?

Mortgaging the future of its citizenry another one? Any others?

Schomberg

What sticks in the craw is that those who warned that Home Rule would be Rome Rule and that the republicans were unfit to, and would be unable to, run a country were proved right.
Amen Cruimh! While I wouldn't wish financial ruin on anyone, I do take a sneaking satisfaction that my ancestors were right! despite all the rebel rhetoric, they have been proven spot on, on all counts!

Darren H

What sticks in the craw is that those who warned that Home Rule would be Rome Rule and that the republicans were unfit to, and would be unable to, run a country were proved right.
The 'rome rule' theory was proven across 90 years, the latter point only looked like it might be shakey between 1980 and 2007. Back to business as usual now!

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com

:roll:

Never understood the last 15 years, did you wildmind.

Green eyed monster

:roll:

Never understood the last 15 years, did you wildmind.
Surely be to God there aren't people still around who believe that FF is a Republican party are there?

Digging up Tara, pals with Eoghan Harris, some members wanting to join Commonwealth, playing around with a musket with a laughing Ian Paisley, selling the country to European speculators and on and on... Read the writing on the wall FFS.

The 'rome rule' theory was proven across 90 years, the latter point only looked like it might be shakey between 1980 and 2007. Back to business as usual now!
Bringing up 'Rome Rule' is amusing, a relic from another age - a bugbear in the Unionist mindset, you should taunt our politicians with the word 'federalists' instead. That's the new politics, federalist aspirations (often cloaked) and slavish, obsequious deference to the EU in all things.

It's not Rome Rule, it's probably Brussels Rule or Bondholders Rule.

Green eyed monster

Right - the age of Bertie, phone calls to all hallows, a blind eye being turned to marital infidelity and the happy coincidence that his government made an incredibly generous deal with the Orders .... :oops:
That alone doesn't prove Rome Rule. You have to understand that even though there were two players in the abuse scandals over the decades (the Church and the State) only the Church has been blamed, it is possible such a deal was designed so that the State's role in all of this could be played down or a reason like that (instead of definitive proof that the action demonstrates slavish abdication of responsibility in favor of Rome).

The sheer fact that we aired our child sex abuse linen in public (when many other countries who probably have massive scandals in secular homes kept theirs quiet) to me indicates that we aren't running the state according to Rome, if nothing else it shows that.

To my understanding they also went very gentle on Protestant run homes accused of abuses (are they also guilty of perpetuating Prod Rule?).

Last edited:

diy01

I don't think it has anything to do with republicanism per se, but some unionists love to get a few jabs in. As if Northern Ireland has been a successful province!

Both jurisdictions on the island have been failures overall.

diy01

What exactly are you arguing? That religious strife was less of an issue in Northern Ireland compared to the Republic?

New Threads

Most Replies