• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Great Leader Clings To Power

between the bridges

Gerry Adams plans to cling to the Sinn Fein leadership for at least another three years, despite already being in the job for three decades.

Mr Adams dismissed suggestions he was too divisive a figure to front such a campaign given his association to the Troubles and alleged past as an IRA leader. And he did not accept his baggage means he should pass the leadership to a member of the younger generation.
Read more: Gerry Adams to lead Sinn Fein for three more years - Politics, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Despite McMG having put Gerry out to pasture the man still clings to delusions of leading the SF stromtroopers, does anyone seriously consider this dinosaur to have any power base in SF/IRA?

Having lost the battle of the staple guns Gerry was banished from Connelly castle, had his access to the average industrial stationery cupboard removed and was unleashed on a new VAT rate jurisdiction.
But deprive of his west bank enclave the man who was most effective when being voice dubbed has battled on toning his badly lingual skills in the ostrich.

One can only assume that having styled his dictatorial longevity on the Kim dynasty Geraldo hopes to have his own jubilee. The magician* who never was in what hasn't gone away, obviously feels he is the man to lead the sin party to the fabled UI 2016 (or at least lose a vote on it by 2020 when he can retire in shame...)

Of course i could be accused of being biased on the subject and the real answer may not be as cynical? indeed perhaps Gerry is staying on simply to annoy his commander in chief...

* a magic circle review in the monthly 'voices from the deceased' said ' Geraldo is a master of the Vanishing Lady act'.

Ulster-Lad

Funny that. A PUL starts a thread on a rival in a position of power in SF.

So do you support MaryLou then?

meriwether

I think its safe to suggest Adams has a power base within SF and the Republican community.

Very safe.

between the bridges

Funny that. A PUL starts a thread on a rival in a position of power in SF.

So do you support MaryLou then?
hello Mary Lou...You passed me by one sunny day, Flashed those big brown eyes my way...goodbye heart

Mushroom

Hitch 22

The beard will cling on until he is pushed:lol:

[video=youtube;g64h1gXndjc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64h1gXndjc[/video]

Spanner Island

Anyone read is bullsh!t OP in the IT yesterday?

Talk about being out of touch...

Gerry is an idiot...

The last thing this island needs now is a f***ing vote on NI/UI...

statsman

Adams is a major electoral asset to SF in the Republic, a celeb with a whiff of an interesting past about him, photo ops with the Clintons, etc, and a well-established brand. When he goes they'll suffer in my view. The young fry in the Dail are very lightweight by comparison.

between the bridges

Elliott challenges Adams to sue CNN over IRA claim

The Ulster Unionist Party’s Justice Spokesperson Tom Elliott MLA has challenged Gerry Adams to sue broadcaster CNN over claims that the Sinn Fein President was a former IRA commander.

The Fermanagh & South Tyrone MLA said:
“I understand that Sinn Fein has complained to the international broadcaster CNN after it described Gerry Adams as ‘a former IRA paramilitary commander’.

Sinn Fein have obviously been upset by this most recent claim by CNN. If Mr Adams has been offended or insulted at being described as an IRA commander then he should go further than merely complaining to CNN. If he really was never a member of the IRA, then he has been defamed by CNN and should sue them for damages and to clear his name.

However, If Mr Adams does not take action against CNN then he will be admitting in a very public manner that they are indeed correct and that he was a leading figure in a vicious and brutal terrorist murder gang which caused death and destruction on a massive scale for almost thirty years. The choice is his.”

Ulster-Lad

Derailing your own thread now?

You did not answer my question. If Adams resigns would you support Marylou to lead SF towards a UI?

Spanner Island

Adams is a major electoral asset to SF in the Republic, a celeb with a whiff of an interesting past about him, photo ops with the Clintons, etc, and a well-established brand. When he goes they'll suffer in my view. The young fry in the Dail are very lightweight by comparison.
More like a whiff of cordite and semtex... allegedly...

Rocky

It'll be interesting.

He does have that celeb element and obviously has a massive profile. However he is very linked to the IRA and it is impossible for Sinn Fein to move past all that while he's Leader. He also isn't that strong or knowledgable on the main issues in the Republic i.e. the economy and that's always been a weakness for him.

I'd share you views on the younger TDs though, who I think are over rated.

Northtipp

It'll be interesting.

He does have that celeb element and obviously has a massive profile. However he is very linked to the IRA and it is impossible for Sinn Fein to move past all that while he's Leader. He also isn't that strong or knowledgable on the main issues in the Republic i.e. the economy and that's always been a weakness for him.

It wouldn't matter if Adams hung up the boots. IMO the usual suspects would just find a reason to beat the next with the same stick. As it is Adams status serves the party and constituents well.

statsman

It'll be interesting.

His past is not uniformly viewed as a negative. Mary Lou and the Donegal School Debater do not, on the whole, display a significantly greater command of the major issues of the day.

Marcella

The obvious observation that most opponents of SF want Adams to go would lead one to believe he's still a major asset to the Party...

between the bridges

Derailing your own thread now?

You did not answer my question. If Adams resigns would you support Marylou to lead SF towards a UI?
hmmm lets see would moi support SF towards a UI, now that's a tough one, can i give it some due time consideration and get back to you...

between the bridges

His past is not uniformly viewed as a negative. Mary Lou and the Donegal School Debater do not, on the whole, display a significantly greater command of the major issues of the day.
the same can be said of Jackie McDonald, mind you he's also more of a celeb in the ROI than NI...

Ulster-Lad

hmmm lets see would moi support SF towards a UI, now that's a tough one, can i give it some due time consideration and get back to you...
Well you are so concerned with SF that you started the thread. ;) I take it you would prefer to see MaryLou leading SF.

IrishWelshCelt

Have you heard Mary Lou speak? The woman makes a mockery of the government and the parliament as a whole by far one of the greatest politicans in our current Dail, was actually voted opposition TD of the year too by Vincent Brown's end of year show.