• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Greatest European Championship

Partizan

Right, get the ball rolling on this.

For me its '84. No contest. France - Platini, Tigana, Giresse, Six, Fernandez, Domergue, Bats. Greatest Euro Championship winning team ever.

1988 in Germany, we qualify for 1st time but there was Holland - Van Basten, Guillit and Rijkaard. The greatest Dutch team since '74 somehow skipped through and provided for a great tournament.

2000. With the WC winning side of 98 at their disposal, France provided for another memorable tourney. Germany getting knocked out in the 1st round with a Grandad Matthias was the icing on the cake.

Worst Euros.
1996 - God awful stuff and predictable German functional victory. Bulgaria and Romania were coming down from USA '94 and added to the sense of dissappointment. Not to mention the Baddiel and Skinner England & The Sun ************************fest. Czech Rep should have got it.

1992 - no Yugoslavia thanks to a disgraceful political decision and what did we get......fvcking Denmark and John Jensen. Rubbish. USSR gone and replaced by a neutered CIS side which throughly underperformed. England once again an embarassment with Turnip and Tony Daley. Lineker bows out.

2004 (Greece...... nuff said).

Last edited:

fluffykontbiscuits

For me its '84. No contest. France - Platini, Tigana, Giresse, Six, Fernandez, Domergue, Bats. Greatest Euro Championship winning team ever.

1988 in Germany, we qualify for 1st time but there was Holland - Van Basten, Guillit and Rijkaard. The greatest Dutch team since '74 somehow skipped through and provided for a great tournament.

2000. With the WC winning side of 98 at their disposal, France provided for another memorable tourney. Germany getting knocked out in the 1st round with a Grandad Matthias was the icing on the cake.

Worst Euros.
1996 - God awful stuff and predictable German functional victory. Bulgaria and Romania were coming down from USA '94 and added to the sense of dissappointment. Not to mention the Baddiel and Skinner England & The Sun ************************fest. Czech Rep should have got it.

1992 - no Yugoslavia thanks to a disgraceful political decision and what did we get......fvcking Denmark and John Jensen. Rubbish. USSR gone and replaced by a neutered CIS side which throughly underperformed. England once again an embarassment with Turnip and Tony Daley. Lineker bows out.

Quite liked that Danish victory, they came out of no where to win that tournament!

Passionateheart

There have been some gret ones very often better than the subsequent world cup. France '84 really stands out for me with France as winners, No Sasanachs, the highly innovative 3-5-2 formation, a delightful Portugal and a newly arrived Denmark(they kocked Engerland out). Spain were beaten finalists with the hapless Arconada between the posts, they had knocked us out in a qualifying group that contained a Dutch side including new to the scene trio - Van Basten, Rijkard and Gullit, they actually bet us 3-2 in Dalier after being 0-2 down!
An exta cameo was provided by the clown prince Dunphy constantly roaring Platini Is Not A Great Player as the great number 10 banged in another goal, he scored in each of his games!
I can't wait for it to go 24 teams finals 2016 France, which I firmly believe will not detract from the quality of the actual final 24 tournament, however the original qualifiers will inevitably be lessened. This was a contribution brought to the table by the FAI and SFA, at least it succeeded unlike their joint co-host fiasco for 2008 which seem to finish below last! And at least we and even the Jaffas and Wales should qualify frequently now! Surely it inevitably leads to a 48 team world cup - tasty!

Holy Hand Grenade

France v Portugal '84 semi final and John Motson.

No argument.

Unreal. He's nearly in tears.

When Portugal go ahead, all the french players slump to the ground - except Tigana. He gets the ball from the net, sprints to the centre spot and basically rallies the team and the crowd. I think he set up the equaliser or the winner, can't remember now which one.

Platini scored 9 or 10 times in that tournament i think.

owedtojoy

Worst Euros.

You are hard on the Danes in '92 ... their giantkilling victory over Germany is a game that sticks in my mind. Greece were giant-killers too, but it was a crap finals.

France's two victories were probably the best ... agree with you there. Loved '84, when Dunphy was at the height of his drawly "Platini is a good but not a great player" sthick ... France came from behind against Portugal in the semi-final thanks to Platini, and Dunphy had to eat his words.

Pauli

1976. The Czechoslovak team beating World Champions West Germany on penalties. Uli Hoeness missing his spot kick. A great final and a fantastic psychological battle where the Czechoslovaks held their nerve and the defence, basically the defence of the Slovan Bratislava club side, were the epitome of resilience. The nearest to football-as-chess I have ever seen.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies