• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Greatest or most influential pieces of music in History

retep

Following on on two excellent previous threads re photographs and great speeches, what would be people take on piece of music or musical works that defined or are of major significance in history.

Of course I appreciate like the other two threads, much of it is subjective and open to differing perspectives which means from our Republican brethren here I expect The Wolf Tones ballad collection and Bobby Sands collected lyrics will feature significantly at some point.

Alternatively here's some other to start with (and I do appreciate these have a predominantly European/Western Civilization bias and note the token Paddy's thrown in!):

Gregorian Chant

Palestrena's Missa Papal Mastrelli

Monteverdi's Orfeo

JS Bach - Brandenburg Concerto's and Tocatta and Fugue

Handels Messiah

Pachabels - Canon in D minor

Mozart's: 40th Symphony, Requeim, Eine Kleine Nachtmusic and Barber of Seville

Beethoven's 9th Symphony and Emperor Piano Concerto

John Field's Nocturnes

Johann Strauss II - The Blue Danube

Tchaikovskys 1812 Overture

Verdi - La Traviata

Pucinni - La Boheme

Wagner - The Ring of the Niebulung

Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue

Glenn Miller - In the Mood

Robert Johnson - The San Antonio Recordings

Bill Haley - Rock around the Clock

Elvis Presley - The Sun Recordings

The Beatles Let it Be or Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club

The Monkee's - Day Dream Believer (The first manafactured boy band)

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Paul Simon - Graceland

Yep, I know, a very subjective list and far from exhaustive in any sense and it also occurs to me that it could ideally spawn a separate thread of the most influental songs in history. I'll leave that to someone else!

Halibut

A composer of a fine list. Just out of time. Try again when we're all awake!

CookieMonster

Many are not pieces but whole operas.

Schubert's Ellens dritter Gesang should be there and also Mozart's An die Freude from his ninth symphony should get a special mention, for all us inclined toward our European membership.

Kev408

retep said:
Following on on two excellent previous threads re photographs and great speeches, what would be people take on piece of music or musical works that defined or are of major significance in history.

Of course I appreciate like the other two threads, much of it is subjective and open to differing perspectives which means from our Republican brethren here I expect The Wolf Tones ballad collection and Bobby Sands collected lyrics will feature significantly at some point.

Alternatively here's some other to start with (and I do appreciate these have a predominantly European/Western Civilization bias and note the token Paddy's thrown in!):

Gregorian Chant

Palestrena's Missa Papal Mastrelli

Monteverdi's Orfeo

JS Bach - Brandenburg Concerto's and Tocatta and Fugue

Handels Messiah

Pachabels - Canon in D minor

Mozart's: 40th Symphony, Requeim, Eine Kleine Nachtmusic and Barber of Seville

Beethoven's 9th Symphony and Emperor Piano Concerto

John Field's Nocturnes

Johann Strauss II - The Blue Danube

Tchaikovskys 1812 Overture

Verdi - La Traviata

Pucinni - La Boheme

Wagner - The Ring of the Niebulung

Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue

Glenn Miller - In the Mood

Robert Johnson - The San Antonio Recordings

Bill Haley - Rock around the Clock

Elvis Presley - The Sun Recordings

The Beatles Let it Be or Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club

The Monkee's - Day Dream Believer (The first manafactured boy band)

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Paul Simon - Graceland

Yep, I know, a very subjective list and far from exhaustive in any sense and it also occurs to me that it could ideally spawn a separate thread of the most influental songs in history. I'll leave that to someone else!
I tentatively suggest that this thread be re-written as a tribute to songs/music/operas etc that remind people of historical and political change? Music may have changed history once or twice over the centuries but it hardly ever dictated policy.

Examples I'm thinking of in the memorial stakes include almost everything from the late 1960s which a lot of people would relate to the Vietnam War? 'Love Child', 'Painted Black' etc

Sousa's marches which still live on? Can't write notes.

Vera Lynn and the British aspect in WWII? 'We'll meeet again, don't know where, don't know when...' etc

There was also a piece of music which was representative of Napoleons disastrous invasion of Russia and the subsequent legger...maybe you mentioned it but I don't know it from the titles above?

jmcc

Kev408 said:
There was also a piece of music which was representative of Napoleons disastrous invasion of Russia and the subsequent legger...maybe you mentioned it but I don't know it from the titles above?
Bonaparte's Retreat - The Chieftans? Or are you thinking of the 1812 Overture?

Regards...jmcc

Ciaran

Have a few pints on me at present and i couldn't hope to answer that question definitivley but am listening to The Holy Bible by the manics, great album.

Kev408

jmcc said:
Kev408 said:
Bonaparte's Retreat - The Chieftans? Or are you thinking of the 1812 Overture?

Regards...jmcc
A few pints here too but it was the 1812 Overture. Some mad Christian Brother played it for us during a free class years ago. I think he was jarred because what Catholic lickspittle would highlight the pinkos victory even when it was actually the weather that screwed the French? Whatever, thats a number I'll always remember :)

jmcc

A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procul Harem?
Beasley Street - John Cooper Clarke. One of the best Punk songs ever.
No More Heroes - The Stranglers.
Holiday In The Sun - The Sex Pistols.
Oliver's Army - Elvis Costello.
Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads.

Regards...jmcc

Kev408

jmcc said:

Regards...jmcc
"what would be people take on piece of music or musical works that defined or are of major significance in history".

You're thinking of tunes that were historically important in musical terms and damn good choices they were. I'm suggesting we define the initial question more clearly so we know what we're looking for.

p.s. Floyd's 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' describes the thoughts of the then remaining members of Pink Floyd towards Syd Barrett.

He died recently.

Aaaaanyway, what are we looking for here?

jmcc

Kev408 said:
jmcc said:

Regards...jmcc
"what would be people take on piece of music or musical works that defined or are of major significance in history"
Whiter Shade Of Pale - one of the best 1960s songs.

No More Heros/Holiday In The Sun - kind of defined the attitude of a generation to the established order. There are people who claim that they were punks and those who wish that they were. But I guess you never lose that questioning nature if you are a true punk.

Beasley Street - the early 1980s were that bleak for some. Unemployment was high.

Oliver's Army - Good song but listen to the lyrics.

Once In A Lifetime - I guess you had to be there. :)

Also Rock The Kasbah, various Jam tracks, Ian Dury And The Blockheads (What A Waste, Reasons To Be Cheerful - Part 3), SLF - Suspect Device.

p.s. Floyd's 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' describes the thoughts of the then remaining members of Pink Floyd towards Syd Barrett.

He died recently.
Yep. It was a pity what happened to him. Some of the early Pink Floyd stuff was great.

Aaaaanyway, what are we looking for here?
Good tunes maaaaan .:)

Regards...jmcc

Kev408

I suppose we'll get away with that but for the record I think Procul Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale was exceptional. Nothing should be read into it though because they don't read anything into it either.

Olivers Army is indeed here to stay. Once In a Lifetime..I hear you clearly.

Beasley Street? Are you acknowledging that the '80s were shite 'for some people'? I think you are.

And I hate the later Floyd stuff.....'teacher, leev dem kids alone....all in aw it's just a.. novver brick in the wall..' with a puke beside it.

jmcc

Kev408 said:
I suppose we'll get away with that but for the record I think Procul Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale was exceptional. Nothing should be read into it though because they don't read anything into it either.
It is just a great piece of music and songwriting.

Beasley Street? Are you acknowledging that the '80s were shite 'for some people'? I think you are.
Yep. I remember what it was like. Seeing people not being able to find work no matter how hard they tried. A generation raised and educated for emigration and the scum in power feeding off the masses and telling us that we should tighten our belts. Few who lived through those times look at politicians, bankers and big businessmen as being anything more than crooks on the make. (Almost a Pink Floyd reference to Pigs On The Wing :) ).

And I hate the later Floyd stuff.....'teacher, leev dem kids alone....all in aw it's just a.. novver brick in the wall..' with a puke beside it.
Some of the later stuff is even more powerful but it is rather prog-rockish. Good stuff though - especially Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

Regards...jmcc

hmmm, i will probably say that the vast majority of modern music probably does not deserve to be named in such respects when comparing it to some classical pieces or opera. Here are some albums i hope do get on that list eventually,musically they are far better then bloody elvis or bill hailey, impact wise, not anywhere in the same league as elvis,unfortunely

Sigur Ros- Takk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNH_8zzxPA

Mum-Finally,we are no one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nYsBqRjtuw

Arcade Fire-Funeral
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNfWC4Sgkcs

oh and something from my teen years
Marilyn Manson-Antichrist Superstar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYFwzJYFlUw

farnaby

Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Richard Strauss, for its soundtrack to Nietschean philosophy pretensions.

Heroin - The Velvet Underground - rock'n'roll taking an amoral, descriptive view rather than the desire usually associated with the music.

St Disibod

Well I’d reinforce the importance of The Beatles from the historical perspective.

I remember talking to a Polish girl whose mother had learnt English back in the day so that she would understand Beatles songs. I thought nothing of it, beyond it being a good story. But years later I attended a lecture by Tony Judt, one of the world’s leading historians on twentieth century Europe, and he recollected his few years studying in Poland- it shows in his work: he over-eggs Poland’s role in the fall of the Soviet Union a bit methinks- where he was shocked to find lots of Polish people speaking English with Liverpudlian accents.

As the cultural components of the Cold War go, the Beatles were the big guns. Whether they knew that when they wrote Back in the USSR or not I don’t know.

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the West behind
Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my my my my my my my mind.

Podolski

Le Marseillaise is surely one of the most important

and

The Internationale.