Greatest sporting event you attended

The Rahenyite

What is the greatest sporting event you attended? Refers to actually being there not watching it at home or in a pub both of which can be dramatic and atmospheric in their own ways but not the same as actual being there.

Mine would be the Dublin v Mayo All-Ireland football final replay in October 2016. I managed to get a ticket for the hill and the atmosphere was electric. Bit of banter and tension on the hill where I was standing with equal amounts of Dublin and Mayo fans. I remember the nervy finish and even thinking Mayo had equalised late in stoppage time but the shot was actually wide and my relief when the final whistle blew.

Notable mentions would go to seeing Ireland draw with Estonia at home after winning 4-0 away to clinch Euro 2012 qualification in November 2011. It was a party atmosphere all night and some of the crowd were throwing paper airplanes on the pitch. Seeing Usain Bolt the world's fastest ever man in the flesh run in the Van Dam Meet in Belgium in September 2009 and memorable Bohemians victories like beating arch rivals Shamrock Rovers 4-0 in June 2012 and beating Sligo Rovers 3-1 at home in October 2009 to clinch the league title that season. Dublin v Kerry in the All Ireland football semi final in 2013 was an amazing encounter with beautiful football played.

Last edited:

The Rahenyite

St Patrick's Athletic beating Derry City in the FAI Cup final a few years back. Great atmosphere behind the goal (The Christy Fagan End :p).
I was there, poor match with some awful goals but a Pats fan won't complain after Pats finally ended that cup final losing streak and won a first FAI Cup since 1961.

Betson

These things are always going to be parochial depending on who and what sport you support , I am a Tipperary Hurling supporter and for my the 1991 Hurling Munster Final replay between Tipp and Cork will always stand out in my memory for sheer drama , excitement and atmosphere. We even had miracles that day with lads jumping out of wheelchairs to join in a pitch invasion near the end.

Honorable mention also goes to the 2010 Hurling final to stop that great KK team do a 5 in row.

Round tower

82 All Ire. Football Final
When Seamus Darby scored a late goal stopping Kerry winning a recorrd 5 in a row, uncle in Dublin ang on the Friday night to ask me did i want to go, first time in CP

Angular Merkel

Attending the 2008 FAI cup final when Bohemians defeated Derry on peno's to win the cup :D

Of course I had not 'emerged' as the Antichrist back then but the process was well under way.

Saw my high school winning the All Ireland Colleges 'B' final in 1992 is also notable . Remarkable for a school with 300 pupils , and outside toilets.

Last edited:

toconn

Munster beating Biarritz to win the Heineken Cup for the first time !

Betson

Munster beating Biarritz to win the Heineken Cup for the first time !
I missed out on that one due to work , I was at the defeats in Twickingham and the hand of Bach game. Gutted to miss out on the Biarritz game but delighted they won it. And to be honest I cannot really complain as I tended to only go to the big games and was not a follow them everywhere fan.

Sync

Christmas isn't a sporting event.
Spoken like a perennial loser of Christmas.

Uh: bunch of rugby and fighting stuff. Probably my favourite was Ireland/NZ at Soldier last year, even if the 6 nations wins were more meaningful.

Levellers

Ireland 1-0 Holland September 2001.

Watching the immensely talented Dutch team lump the ball forwards in the last 20 minutes to van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, Hasselbaink and van Hooijdonk as they panicked when every Irish fan could tell you if they payed on the ground they probably would have scored.

death or glory

The Ulster rugby eurpean(heinekin) cup winning final in 1999 in Landsdowne road.

Quite a crap match but what an atmosphere and whata result.

GDPR

A cup final my son was involved in.

Christ, the tension, I played the full game and made every tackle, it took me two days to come down.

redhead

Not an event I attended as I have very little interest in sport but in 1995 I lived near Lansdowne Road and was in Ballsbridge just before the Ireland v England match.

There was a very weird atmosphere as you walked past the pubs, not at all like the usual jovial crowds that would be there for big matches. Groups of shifty looking guys who looked like they were gearing up for a fight.

I wasn't in the least bit surprised when I saw the events on the news that night.

toconn

Not an event I attended as I have very little interest in sport but in 1995 I lived near Lansdowne Road and was in Ballsbridge just before the Ireland v England match.

There was a very weird atmosphere as you walked past the pubs, not at all like the usual jovial crowds that would be there for big matches. Groups of shifty looking guys who looked like they were gearing up for a fight.

I wasn't in the least bit surprised when I saw the events on the news that night.
That is because that night it was a football match and not a rugby International match that would have been more usual at Lansdowne Road . There is a massive difference between certain supporters of the English soccer team and those that supported the Rugby team. I don't need to go into details surely ?

toconn

I missed out on that one due to work , I was at the defeats in Twickingham and the hand of Bach game. Gutted to miss out on the Biarritz game but delighted they won it. And to be honest I cannot really complain as I tended to only go to the big games and was not a follow them everywhere fan.
I was at both the finals they had lost before winning it and at many a group match including losing semi finals. That was the day I discovered I had 70k relatives in the ground and hundreds of thousands watching on TV, talk about hairs on the back of the neck.Shared a few pints with the team as well before the game ( the injured players that was ) and afterwards when the team bus stopped outside a Cardiff pub we had taken over. Magic day.

HenryHorace

Joey Dunlop's win in the 2000 TT. If you watched it you'll know.

A true legend and true man.

redhead

That is because that night it was a football match and not a rugby International match that would have been more usual at Lansdowne Road . There is a massive difference between certain supporters of the English soccer team and those that supported the Rugby team. I don't need to go into details surely ?
I grew up in London and the only time I came across that kind of menacing atmosphere was when the local faction of the National Front organised a demonstration outside the town hall. You do know that those riots were organised by a group of NF supporters and not ordinary football fans?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies