Greatest US President of the past 20 years

west_brit

Website
www.ogra.ie
I had this discussion with a friend today of which American president was the greatest in our lifetime, Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton or George W. Well I said Reagan (naturally) lower taxes, sorted out the unions, brought down the Soviet Union, restored faith in America did what he said he do. He choose Clinton. Just wondering who other people would choose?

BarryW

Re: Greatest President of the past 20 years.

west_brit said:
Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton or George W
Reagan, by default because the others were such disasters.

Which is a little unfair on Reagan - he was genuinely one of the best.

eurocrat

Regan's envioremntal record is disastourous. He created a monster in 1980's amercain society. The Soviet Union collasped from within.

I'm going for Clinton. The economy recovered under him and brought repect back to America in world affairs... but most of all: He helped bring peace to a small European island.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
It's very unfair to limit it to 20 years, but during that time frame I'd have to say Regan too, closely followed by G43.

Over a 60 year time frame I'd say:

Nixon - United the US, Opened up China, Ended the War in SEA
JFK - Cuba, Civil Rights
Regan - Beat the Reds
FDR - Beat the Nazis
G43 - War On Terror

Seabird

Reagan hands down!

eurocrat said:
The Soviet Union collasped from within.
:shock: :lol:

Sloc

There is no doubt in my mind that the greatest US President of the last twenty years has to be Bill Clinton.
Millions of low - income children began to see college as a reality, rather than a dream , as more low income parents than ever before moved from welfare to work.
President Clinton inherited the highest deficit in US history in 1993, and when he left in 2001 it was the highest surplus ever . Created under the Clinton were 22 million new jobs. The Earned Income Tax Credit , and its increase. Military spending reduced, modernised for the 21st century.
He was the first President to employ fully the tools of the internet to spread the fruits of information and knowledge; giving the first webcast ever from the oval office.
More kids went to college, the real average income actually rose for the first time in 25 years, reform was undertaken in government , to reduce , reform and modernise to the needs of the people. Ultimately, if Clintonomics is to be described as anything it should be remembered as the idea of investing in human capital, ''putting people first''.
His concern for people went not to their financial well being but also to there place in American Society, civil and political rights. Toni Morrison calling him , 'the first black' President. Tolerance of all was promulgated, such is seen with his handling of homosexuals in the military.
America under Clinton was a place that was booming, growing , innovating, creating; it never stopped thinking about tomorrow , and never stopped living in a place called Hope.
And that is just one side ,the domestic, perhaps the lesser of the two, save nothing of his incomparable international and diplomatic accomplishments ; one truly can see how he is unquestionably the greatest president of the last 20 years.

<mod by Conor> I'm moving this from the Chat forum to Foreign Affairs, and I've changed the name to include "US". </mod>

WyldeOne

Military spending reduced
In other words, military personel got to live below the poverty level. The military budget of the 90s was short sighted to say the least. I know alot of people think cutting military spending equals peace in the world, but it doesn't. Those cuts went straight to military families. Base closings killed local economies. The cuts affected global information sources.

Clinton was one of the worst US presidents of the last 20 years.

Pax

Apart from Clinton's Norn Ireland stuff it's hard to choose one from the other. Especially over such a timespan seeing as they were all such loyal hegemonic leaders/emperors as they hammered developing nation on the anvil of hypocritical neo-liberalism :x

But why restrict it to the last 20 years?

Check out the Best US President of the last century 1900-2000 thread...which starts in a very similar manner to this thread strangely enough...
http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic. ... +roosevelt

stringjack

WyldeOne said:
The military budget of the 90s was short sighted to say the least. I know alot of people think cutting military spending equals peace in the world, but it doesn't. Those cuts went straight to military families. Base closings killed local economies.
This may come as a surprise but I'm not sure the military budget is supposed to be a welfare programme. Saying 'the cuts affected global information sources' is something of a non sequitur.

Gladstone

Re: Greatest US President of the past 20 years.

west_brit said:
I had this discussion with a friend today of which American president was the greatest in our lifetime, Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton or George W. Well I said Reagan (naturally) lower taxes, sorted out the unions, brought down the Soviet Union, restored faith in America did what he said he do. He choose Clinton. Just wondering who other people would choose?
You forgot wrecked the economy :wink:

Clinton all the way:

-Welfare rolls cut in half (all those people in work)

-20 million new jobs

-Largest budget deficit in American history converted to the largest surplus

-Lowest government spending as a percentage of GDP since 1974

-Northern Ireland

-Middle East Peace Process

-Humanitarian Intervention

-Prevention of a major terrorist attack in 2000 which included blowing up LAX and his own assasanation.

-Tried to bring in universal healthcare

-America was respected not feared

-Massive advancements in scietific research

-Crime down 20%wih les guns on the streets.

WyldeOne

This may come as a surprise but I'm not sure the military budget is supposed to be a welfare programme.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. There are two ways to serve in the military, active duty and reserves. Those who are active duty are the ones permenantly stationed at bases, they are serving 24/7/365, and the job they do in the military is their job. In the early 90s, enlisted personel made less than $10,000 per year. That was, and is, below the poverty line. Military families often have to have multiple, not double, but multiple incomes to stay afloat financially. The active duty military members were severely affected by those budget cuts.

flakie

Website
www.irishanimals.ie
WyldeOne -- I'm not an expert, but if your job paid less than the poverty line and you were willing to work, wouldn't you just get off your ass and move somewhere to find a job that paid better?

EDIT: not only that, but in Canada as I recall, many of my friends went into the military and it paid better than anything else around. It was a question of whether you were willing to work in the military more than anything else. Most went because it would get them a free university education and paid really well, along with providing your basic necessities on base.

Why would the states be so different? Are Americans so willing to work in the military that they'll do it for next to nothing?

Website
Greenparty.ie

BarryW said:
Reagan, by default because the others were such disasters.

Which is a little unfair on Reagan - he was genuinely one of the best.
How was Clinton a disaster? Sure there was Rwanda, Hillarys Health Care plan and Monica, but what recent President hasnt had some major faults. To paraphrase Sen. Kerry: Clinton made a mistake in his affair with Lewinsky, Reagan made a mistake in Iran/Contra. Which is worse?

His major successes more then make up for his failings-the economy,reducing beurocracy, Mid. East, N. Ireland, walfare reform etc.

Seabird

flakie,

flakie said:
Why would the states be so different? Are Americans so willing to work in the military that they'll do it for next to nothing?
Some join for the benefits they offer such as college. They also have opportunities not offered the average citizens. They are held in high regard and in most businesses are consider before the others to fill a position. It does have it's appeal. Most however do join because the military will educate them for free, if you can call it that!

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com

Andrew-formerly'Danny' said:
To paraphrase Sen. Kerry: Clinton made a mistake in his affair with Lewinsky, Reagan made a mistake in Iran/Contra. Which is worse?

Regan wasn't aware what Col. North was doing, I've no doubt Clinton knew what Lewinsky was up to! :wink:

eurocrat

Seabird said:
Reagan hands down!

eurocrat said:
The Soviet Union collasped from within.
:shock: :lol:
Wow, you make a good point there... wait no you didn't.

Any chance you could use words rather than smilys to debate?

stringjack

WyldeOne said:
I think you misunderstood what I meant.
I think I must have because what you wrote appears to make no sense.

In response to the claim that one of Clinton's successes was cutting military spending...

WyldeOne said:
In other words, military personel got to live below the poverty level. The military budget of the 90s was short sighted to say the least. I know alot of people think cutting military spending equals peace in the world, but it doesn't. Those cuts went straight to military families. Base closings killed local economies. The cuts affected global information sources.

Clinton was one of the worst US presidents of the last 20 years.
Your criticism of Clinton's cuts appears to be that they were welfare cuts (oh, and also "affected global information sources", whatever that means). Since military spending is not supposed to be a welfare programme, or act as a Keynesian stimulus to 'local economies', I don't see how that's a sensible criticism.

Also, there have only been four presidents over the last 20 years. That doesn't leave a lot of room for being "one of the worst".

Vietato

Ronald Reagan as much for the dignity of his withdrawl from public life as anything. Also I think that he was a genuinely good man.
I like Bill Clinton a lot too though.
The Bushes both have their good points.
It's Reagan on points though

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies