Greatest US President of the past 20 years

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
In past 20 years Clinton because he cut unemployment and now we know he was the one who destroyed Saddam's WMD because none were found in Iraq.

pluralist

Over the past 20 years, my vote would be for Clinton, but if it was over the past 40 years, my favourite would be Nixon.

mcguirkj

Posted: 06 Aug 2005 09:44 Post subject: Re: Greatest US President of the past 20 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

west_brit wrote:
I had this discussion with a friend today of which American president was the greatest in our lifetime, Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton or George W. Well I said Reagan (naturally) lower taxes, sorted out the unions, brought down the Soviet Union, restored faith in America did what he said he do. He choose Clinton. Just wondering who other people would choose?

You forgot wrecked the economy

Clinton all the way:

-Welfare rolls cut in half (all those people in work)

-20 million new jobs

-Largest budget deficit in American history converted to the largest surplus

-Lowest government spending as a percentage of GDP since 1974

-Northern Ireland

-Middle East Peace Process

-Humanitarian Intervention

-Prevention of a major terrorist attack in 2000 which included blowing up LAX and his own assasanation.

-Tried to bring in universal healthcare

-America was respected not feared

-Massive advancements in scietific research

-Crime down 20%wih les guns on the streets.
With regard to the non foreign policy stuff therein, you maight want to go read a little document called "the Contact with America".

Cheerio.

owedtojoy

I had this discussion with a friend today of which American president was the greatest in our lifetime, Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton or George W. Well I said Reagan (naturally) lower taxes, sorted out the unions, brought down the Soviet Union, restored faith in America did what he said he do. He choose Clinton. Just wondering who other people would choose?
Reagan left the Middle East a total mess - he is at least partly responsible for leaving his successors a disastrous poisoned chalice.

• He armed the Mujaheddin in Afghanistan, allowed them to destroy their moderate opponents, eventually arming both the Taliban and Al Qaeda.
  • He encouraged Saddam Hussein's in attacking Iran, turned a blind eye to his massacre of the Kurds and generally fed the man's dangerous megalomania.
  • He intervened in Lebanon to help Israel, leading to the worst American military defeat between Vietnam and George W. Bush's Iraq War.

While he succeeded with a willing partner (Mikhail Gorbachov) in dismantling the military apparatus of the Cold War, leading to the collapse of Communism, his legacy is mixed.

Since he left office 26 years, we have to ask why his great achievement of ending to Cold War has not led to a stable world order, but actually one much more fractured and just as dangerous. IMHO, that is due to the disastrous policies of one of his successors - George W. Bush, abetted by his Vice President,, Dick Cheney.

GabhaDubh

Regan wasn't aware what Col. North was doing, I've no doubt Clinton knew what Lewinsky was down to! :wink:
Just wanted the description to be more factual.

at768

Reagan left the Middle East a total mess - he is at least partly responsible for leaving his successors a disastrous poisoned chalice.

• He armed the Mujaheddin in Afghanistan, allowed them to destroy their moderate opponents, eventually arming both the Taliban and Al Qaeda.
  • He encouraged Saddam Hussein's in attacking Iran, turned a blind eye to his massacre of the Kurds and generally fed the man's dangerous megalomania.
  • He intervened in Lebanon to help Israel, leading to the worst American military defeat between Vietnam and George W. Bush's Iraq War.

While he succeeded with a willing partner (Mikhail Gorbachov) in dismantling the military apparatus of the Cold War, leading to the collapse of Communism, his legacy is mixed.

Since he left office 26 years, we have to ask why his great achievement of ending to Cold War has not led to a stable world order, but actually one much more fractured and just as dangerous. IMHO, that is due to the disastrous policies of one of his successors - George W. Bush, abetted by his Vice President,, Dick Cheney.
When was the U.S. military defeated in Iraq?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies