Greatest US President of the past 20 years

drummed

The U.S. defeated the Saddam Regime in 30 days, that was a victory.
A proper functioning Iraq would be a victory. We're still waiting ................

Mattarigna

I had this discussion with a friend today of which American president was the greatest in our lifetime, Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton or George W. Well I said Reagan (naturally) lower taxes, sorted out the unions, brought down the Soviet Union, restored faith in America did what he said he do. He choose Clinton. Just wondering who other people would choose?
Regan had to raise taxes near the end of his reign after he realised that the theory that lower taxes would increase government revenue was a load of populist bullshyte, and ended up tripling US debt over irresponsible tax breaks to the wealthiest in US society and prestige spending in Defence - all the while disemboweling Social welfare programs that assissted the poorest in US society. He was a rubbish president. And oh, the Soviet Union collapsed on it's own accord, thanks to Gorbachev - Regan had as much to do with the end of the Cold War as Queen Victoria had to do with the creation of the Empire she inherited. He was a great waffler, but that doesn't make him a great President.

No US President in recent times could be truly called great(partially because the Republicans[and increasingly the Democrats] are completely captured by the Corporations, and partially because Republican intransigence pretty much prevented the implementation of any of the most progressive measures proposed by Democrats), but in terms of economic management and general progress, the honour would have to go to Bill Clinton, but that's mainly because he didn't completely fuk everything up like all the other recent presidents.

Last edited:

Mattarigna

A properly functioning Iraq is the responsibility of the Iraqi people and no one else.
Pity the US Government didn't realise that before they decided to take over the place.

Last edited:

socmonster

I'm sure it's been pointed out already, but Reagan left office in 1988....26 years ago. Maybe someone should check the OP.

MrMee

I think you misunderstood what I meant. There are two ways to serve in the military, active duty and reserves. Those who are active duty are the ones permenantly stationed at bases, they are serving 24/7/365, and the job they do in the military is their job. In the early 90s, enlisted personel made less than $10,000 per year. That was, and is, below the poverty line. Military families often have to have multiple, not double, but multiple incomes to stay afloat financially. The active duty military members were severely affected by those budget cuts.
It might be good if you included what benefits come with service in the US military.

Cellach

A properly functioning Iraq is the responsibility of the Iraqi people and no one else.
In September 1898 Kipling wrote to Roosevelt, stating 'Now go in and put all the weight of your influence into hanging on permanently to the whole Philippines. America has gone and stuck a pickaxe into the foundations of a rotten house and she is morally bound to build the house over again from the foundations or have it fall about her ears'.
The White Man's Burden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cellach

The U.S. has spent $60 billion on rebuilding Iraq, yet the Iraqi's waste so much of it. How can any country help Iraq if the Iraqis don't care about their own country.
It's hard to hear you over the sound of tumbling masonry.

TiredOfBeingTired

There are some polls on Best/Worst USA Presidents.
Below is a link to loads of polls/studies.
You will almost certainly find one that you disagree with.

Historical rankings of Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Below is one poll from the link.
It is from the first poll in the link.
It is an aggregate poll of loads of other polls and it is sorted by rank.

I would exclude Obama and possibly George W Bush as they are far too recent.

PresidentRank
Abraham Lincoln1
Franklin D. Roosevelt2
George Washington3
Thomas Jefferson4
Theodore Roosevelt5
Woodrow Wilson6
Harry S. Truman7
Andrew Jackson08 (tie)
Dwight D. Eisenhower08 (tie)
James K. Polk10
John F. Kennedy11
John Adams12
James Madison13
James Monroe14 (tie)
Lyndon B. Johnson14 (tie)
Barack Obama14 (tie) *
Ronald Reagan17
John Quincy Adams18
Grover Cleveland19
William McKinley20 (tie)
Bill Clinton20 (tie)
William Howard Taft22 (tie)
George H. W. Bush22 (tie)
Martin Van Buren24
Rutherford B. Hayes25
Gerald Ford26
Jimmy Carter27
Chester A. Arthur28
James A. Garfield29 (tie)
Herbert Hoover29 (tie)
Calvin Coolidge31
Richard Nixon32
Benjamin Harrison33
George W. Bush34
Zachary Taylor35
John Tyler36
Ulysses S. Grant37
William Henry Harrison38 (tie)
Millard Fillmore38 (tie)
Franklin Pierce40
Andrew Johnson41
James Buchanan42
Warren G. Harding43

Cellach

Why are you trying to blame the Iraqi corruption culture on America?
I'm not. I'm blaming the failure to set up a post reconstruction plan for Iraq. A retired General, Jay Garner, was given a month to come up with a plan. We do not do nation building as George put it. Well ISIS are doing the nation building now.

Cellach

Historical rankings of Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a disgrace that Kennedy is ahead of Nixon and William Howard Taft.

It's incredibly amusing that Franklin Pierce, Andrew Johnson, James Buchanan and Warren Harding are all thought to be worse Presidents than William Henry Harrison, a man who spent nearly his entire time in office completely unconscious.

TiredOfBeingTired

It's a disgrace that Kennedy is ahead of Nixon and William Howard Taft.

It's incredibly amusing that Franklin Pierce, Andrew Johnson, James Buchanan and Warren Harding are all thought to be worse Presidents than William Henry Harrison, a man who spent nearly his entire time in office completely unconscious.
Those polls are not scientific and there will be disagreements.

However ratings are sorted by Liberal v Conservative the results are fairly similar.
See: Historical rankings of Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Someone like WH Harrison is a problem.
Because William Henry Harrison (32 days) and James A. Garfield (200 days, incapacitated after 119 days) both died shortly after taking office, they are sometimes omitted from presidential rankings. Zachary Taylor also died after serving as president for only 16 months, but is usually included. In the case of these three, it is not clear if they received low rankings due to their actions as president, or because each was president for such a limited time that it is not possible to rate them more highly.
I wouldnt be surprised if Nixons rating improves as time goes on.
However Watergate will overshadow nearly everything else.

NYCKY

I would agree largely with the top 10 with maybe some minor adjustments to the rankings but after that it's nonsense. Kennedy at #11 and Obama at #14 :confused: why?

I agree that Bush and definitely Obama should be excluded as he is not even 3/4 of the way through his Presidency.

TiredOfBeingTired

The U.S. defeated the Saddam Regime in 30 days, that was a victory.
Are you sure about that?!?

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"

"My feelings - as usual - we will slaughter them all"

"We are not afraid of the Americans. Allah has condemned them. They are stupid. They are stupid" (dramatic pause) "and they are condemned."

“We have placed them in a quagmire from which they can never emerge except dead”

"I speak better English than this villain Bush"

"That bastard the American Minister of Defense Rumsfeld, and I won't say shamelessly, because they don't know what shame means. These are criminals. The whole word can hear the warning sirens. This criminal sitting in the White House is a pathetic criminal and his Defense Minister deserves to be beaten. These criminals lie to the world because they are criminals by nature and conditioning. They consider this a military site! Shame on you! You will forever be shamed! You have ruined the reputation of the American people in the most terrible way! Shame on you! And we will destroy you!"

When told coalition troops occupied Baghdad airport -
"...at Saddam Airport? Now that's just silly!"
"NO", snapped Mr al-Sahaf, "We have retaken the airport. There are NO Americans there. I will take you there and show you. IN ONE HOUR!"

"We blocked them inside the city. Their rear is blocked"

"We will slaughter them, Bush Jr. and his international gang of bastards!"

"I think the British nation has never been faced with a tragedy like this fellow [Blair]."

"The United Nations....[is] a place for prostitution under the feet of Americans."

"We're going to drag the drunken junkie nose of Bush through Iraq's desert, him and his follower dog Blair...There are 26 million Saddams in Iraq"

"I can assure you that those villains will recognize, will discover in appropriate time in the future, how stupid they are and how they are pretending things which have never taken place"
We Love the Iraqi Information Minister
The are plenty more quotes in that link!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies