Greatest World Cup?

SilverSpurs

What do you rate as the greatest world cup in terms of quality of football, individual brilliance, drama, organisation, refereeing, facilities etc.
I will plump for Mexico 86 for the following reasons:
1- Since the expansion to 32 teams in 1998 the standard of football has noticeably declined and as such 2010, 2006, 2002 and 1998 have to be regarded as poor world cups and progressively poorer world cups won by progressively poorer teams.
2- While USA 94 was a absolute masterclass in organisation and facilities there were a lot of poor games and games ruined by the excessive heat and humidity. An uncharachteristically boring Brazil edging out an even more boring Italy in the final.
3- Italia 90 was possibly the most boring tournament in modern memory with excessively defensive play employed all around.
4- Mexico 86 was the pinnacle of attacking football and got better as the tournament progressed. The quarter final between France and Brazil was rated by Pele as the greatest ever world cup match. The individual brilliance of Maradona will never be repeated. All of the quarter finalists were worthy winners.
5- Spain 82 was a very very close second but for Zico's Brazil choking in the match with Italy. France blowing the semi-final with Germany also robbed us of a great winning team.
6- The world cups under the 16 team format never really got going until the 60's as modern football as we know it didnt exist then as such pre-62 world cups cant be compared.
7- The absurd refereeing in 62 and 66 made a mockery of those tournaments: Garrincha sent off in the 62 semi-final but allowed to play in the final and the comically biased hometown refereeing in 66.
8- Mexico 1970 was a close 3rd as a sublime Brazil and nearly sublime England lit up the tournament. Alf Ramsey's decision to sub off Charlton and Peters against Germany robbed us of quite possibly the greatest final of them all. The drama of the later rounds was thrilling especially the semi-final between Germany and Italy.
9- Germany 74 was a boring affair with few exciting games and no South American team on song. The Dutch caving in at the final hurdle a tragedy.
10- Argentina 78 had lots of good football but far too much dodgy carry on and another Dutch self destruct in the final.

Love to hear what you think.

danger here

In my opinion 1970,although I have a soft sport for any world cup from 1970-82.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3yq2wSSXpE]YouTube - Brazil 1970 World Cup[/ame] just because you can see true football and real pride,long before the sportscar and the WAG became fashionable.Those were the days...

Also have a soft spot for Italia 90 since it was the first I remember and more importantly how solidly we performed in our first ever against the odds.

Green eyed monster

I know which was the worst, 2010, the final in particular was quite bad - both sides were terrified and the Dutch were dirty - lacking imagination except through Robben.

- Since the expansion to 32 teams in 1998 the standard of football has noticeably declined and as such 2010, 2006, 2002 and 1998 have to be regarded as poor world cups and progressively poorer world cups won by progressively poorer teams.
I think Zidane's skills rescued 2006 somewhat (even though he blew his top in the final) - all in all probably the most technically gifted player who ever lived, the three R's in the Brazil team that won 2002 also deserve a mention, especially the young and hungry Ronaldhino putting his dribbling and deadball skills on display.

RahenyFG

In modern times, has to be US 94. Great tournament, many goals and many great games. The yanks know how to hold a tournament

goosebump

I'd liked Spain 82.

It was the first WC where I really understood what was going on. It has some great matches too, and players: Zico, Eder, Socrates, Platini, Maradona, Rossi etc

Memories

The amazing goals scored by Brazil in the first round
Alan Hansen colliding with his own player to let Russia in to win 2-1 and knock Scotland out
Northern Ireland beating Spain 1-0
Italy 3 Brazil 2 Quarter Final
Germany 3 France 3 Semi Final

And my all time best memory is the look on Marco Tardelli's face when he scored in the final.

Andrew4

This world cup was ruined by teams playing all out defence against Spain, and looking for a lucky break

making waves

For the sheer quality of football 1970 - although the German and Dutch teams of 1974 were class acts and who can forget the France V Germany semi-final in 1982.

jacko

Spain 82 was very special - it gave us one of the greatest games ever played

italy v brazil

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgRpRTbk1oo"]YouTube - Brazil v Italy 1982 World Cup - One of the greatest games (and commentaries) of all time[/ame]

and the greatest goal of any world cup

Eder (Brazil .v. Russia)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RB9ZeBvNXs"]YouTube - Ofutebol.com - Eder[/ame]

i think i speak for most peeps on p.ie when i say IF YIZ WANNA TALK ABOUT FOOTBALL LADS WHY NOT DO US ALL A FAVOUR AND PISH AWAY OFF TO BOARDS.IE :evil:

goatstoe

i think i speak for most peeps on p.ie when i say IF YIZ WANNA TALK ABOUT FOOTBALL LADS WHY NOT DO US ALL A FAVOUR AND PISH AWAY OFF TO BOARDS.IE :evil:
Speak for yourself buckfastmonkey. I remember the ticker tape World Cup in Argentina 1978, Mario Kempes, Passarella and Cesar Menotti. Argentina was under dictatorship at the time and there was a fair bit of corruption going on.

From an Irish viewpoint, Paul McGrath played a huge game against Italy in the Giants Stadium in '94. McGrath's been in the red tops again lately for sad reasons, but they'll never take that away from him - his performance against Italy that day was immense. Perhaps the greatest singular performance by an Irish player in a major international though Roy Keane rivaled him at Lansdowne Road against the Dutch in '02. Italy went on to make it to the final later in the same tournament in '94.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqVsD_eK-4]YouTube - Paul McGrath v Italy 1994[/ame]

Last edited:

True Republican

The first world cup that I remember was back in 1990 and even though Ireland bored their way Under Jack to the last 8 it was still a diabolical tournament with the final been absolutely dreadful

1994- very well organised by the Yanks, remember Ray Houghton's goal against Italy, it was an alright tournament and Holland vs Brazil was a great match, the final was shocking and only slightly better than 1990, Italy were all negative and the irony was that Roberto Baggio missed the penalty in the shootout that meant Brazil won the world cup even though Baggio singlehanded got Italy through to the final.

The 2010 final was the worst final since 1990 and Holland were a disgrace throughout the tournament, Rinus Michels must be turning in his grave at the football that Holland played, mind you would they have reached the final if they hadn't been so negative and dirty.

2002- Saipan, world cup was alright and Ireland were unlucky against Spain, Ronaldo came back from injury to win the world cup for Brazil with 8 goals.

stoichkov

1982 was the best. some amazing football, plus the two best ever WC games (italy-brazil and france-west germany) and loads of mad incidents such as the kuwaiti sheikh and the german/austrian fix, and el salvador letting in ten goals against hungary.

plus there were loads of new teams in it like algeria, new zealand, honduras, cameroon and most of them did really well.

1970 was a close second.

1990 was the worst. a complete borefest and we were one of the dreariest teams in it.

1974, 1986, 1994 and 1998 were all pretty good. 1978 was vivid but had a few huge black marks hanging over it (mostly to do with the host team).

the last three have been fairly rubbish.

i don't buy all this stuff about the current spanish outfit being the greatest international side of all time. i refuse to believe that those four methodical 1-0 wins in the knockout stages in south africa are as good as football gets.

XRoot

Brazil Nederland in 94. 3-2 and Branco scored the freekick in extratime.

Also the 0-0 between Nederland and Belgie in the same tournament.

Proudehomme showed us what goalkeeping is all about.

stoichkov

think the belgians won that game 1-0.

delaad

In terms of pure drama, probably 1982.

In terms of the quality of the winning team, close between Mexico 1970 and 1986.

However, 1970 for me.

While Argentina had Maradona in '86, and he was wondrous, Brazil not only had the imperious Pele but a support cast of Jairzinho, Tostao, Gerson, Carlos Alberto, Clodoaldo, Rivelino, Brito, Everaldo, Piazza and Felix. The first eight of these guys were involved in the scoring of captain Carlos Alberto's goal, a contender for the greatest ever scored in a World Cup Final.

danger here

Also the 0-0 between Nederland and Belgie in the same tournament.

Proudehomme showed us what goalkeeping is all about.
think the belgians won that game 1-0.
From the same group,I think it was the last game and Saudi were already knocked out,I remember watching this live

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV9lO9KcEGQ&feature=related]YouTube - Saeed el oweiran[/ame]

owedtojoy

I'd liked Spain 82.

It was the first WC where I really understood what was going on. It has some great matches too, and players: Zico, Eder, Socrates, Platini, Maradona, Rossi etc

Memories

The amazing goals scored by Brazil in the first round
Alan Hansen colliding with his own player to let Russia in to win 2-1 and knock Scotland out
Northern Ireland beating Spain 1-0
Italy 3 Brazil 2 Quarter Final
Germany 3 France 3 Semi Final

And my all time best memory is the look on Marco Tardelli's face when he scored in the final.
+1

1982 had a real heroes/ villains atmosphere.

West Germany (as it was then) and Austria conspired a result that kept Algeria (who had beaten W. Ge.) out of the second round.

Italy barely made it out the first round and were up against champions Argentina and favourites Brazil in the next round. Suddenly Italy took off with Paolo Rossi (back after suspension for match-fixing) scoring a hat trick against Brazil. Redemption!!!

Then it was the heroes (Italy) against the villains (Germany) in the final. Germany had scraped by France in a thrilling extra-time semi-final, where the German goalkeeper Schumacher had almost decapitated a player through on his goal (Battiston). Schumacher stayed on the field.

In the final, Germany cynically played for extra time and penalties, but the genius of Rossi undid them. Great 3-1 win for the Azurri, and the greatest (arguably!) World Cup ever!!

Last edited:

blinding

+1

1984 had a real heroes/ villains atmosphere.

West Germany (as it was then) and Austria conspired a result that kept Algeria (who had beaten W. Ge.) out of the second round.

Italy barely made it out the first round and were up against champions Argentina and favourites Brazil in the next round. Suddenly Italy took off with Paolo Rossi (back after suspension for match-fixing) scoring a hat trick against Brazil. Redemption!!!

Then it was the heroes (Italy) against the villains (Germany) in the final. Germany had scraped by France in a thrilling extra-time semi-final, where the German goalkeeper Schumacher had almost decapitated a player through on his goal (Battiston). Schumacher stayed on the field.

In the final, Germany cynically played for extra time and penalties, but the genius of Rossi undid them. Great 3-1 win for the Azurri, the the greatest (arguably!) World Cup ever!!
1984 had a real heroes/ villains atmosphere.!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies