• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

'Green House' Gas Emissions Down 8%

LeDroit

Ireland's so called 'Green House' Gas Emissions are down 8% year on year. While Greenpeace might be delighted, the decrease in emissions is a direct result of the decrease in economic activity in the country as a whole. In other words, what's good for the environment is bad for the economy. Suddenly the Greens tactics make sense. Damage the economy as much as possible with taxes on everything, resist the creation of jobs by pricing labour out of the Market, waste money in tidal or space hopper technology instead of something that would actually produce energy like nuclear, and voilà, the economy takes one for 'the team'.

Who says the Greens aren't getting things done?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1022/environment.html

Cassandra Syndrome

Ireland's so called 'Green House' Gas Emissions are down 8% year on year. While Greenpeace might be delighted, the decrease in emissions is a direct result of the decrease in economic activity in the country as a whole. In other words, what's good for the environment is bad for the economy. Suddenly the Greens tactics make sense. Damage the economy as much as possible with taxes on everything, resist the creation of jobs by pricing labour out of the Market, waste money in tidal or space hopper technology instead of something that would actually produce energy like nuclear, and voilà, the economy takes one for 'the team'.

First fall in greenhouse gases in 20 years - RT News
+1

The greenparty agenda to send us back to the dark ages and medieval feudalism is well underway.

Tom245

This is the real reason the Greens are determined to stay in Government. Bet they never thought they'd be so successful in achieveing one of their key aims - permanent recession.

Tombo

First fall in greenhouse gas level in 20 years - RT News
Oh and our national income fell by about 8% at exactly the same time.

That translated into higher unemployment for the moment and will mean lower income in the future or a persistance in unemployment.

Imagine if we achieve the 70, 80 or even 90% reductions those economically illetrate tree hugging warmy cult morons want. sio nara baby.

PAD1OH

there is more than one way to reduce emissions and to assume it means causing/using a recession is just lazy.

ibis

there is more than one way to reduce emissions and to assume it means causing/using a recession is just lazy.
Or an exercise in cheap point-scoring for people who believe that business shouldn't be regulated in any way, and who therefore want to try to set up the emotive link "emissions cuts = recession".

Admittedly that's based on the assumption that virtually nobody's actually dim enough not to understand causality, although I can see that CS has already posted.

Red_93

LeDroit, I'm not gonna address your post (admittedly I did find it a tad funny), but I do notice you put green house in inverted commas. I know you're a climate change sceptic, but do you not even believe in the green house effect? As I've told you before, it's very easy to prove - 2 plastic bottles, some co2, thermometers and ordinary air. Without green house gases we would freeze to death.Evann the nuttiest anti climate changers acknowledge the greenhouse effect.

Watcher2

Personally I dont know enough about the green house gases, global warming/cooling/climate change. Scientists seem to be onb both sides. I do however believe that our depoendancy on fosils is bad and we should reduce on that alone. However, the Greenies policies are what I have a problem with, or rather how they go about them.

The lightbuld ban is one.

Another one I have been told about, the truth is out there somewhere, but these diesel cars, apparently they spew massive amounts of other climate/environment damaging gases worse than carbon, so the whole drive diesel and save CO2 is doing even more damage than the unleaded petrol engines.

Not sure how true it is but thought it important to throw it out there.

Oh, and how the hell do they manage green house gas emissions? Do they know how many miles I drive? etc. Seems like a hell of a lot of data they need to gather and I have no understanding of how they gather it. Is it an exact science?

ibis

LeDroit, I'm not gonna address your post (admittedly I did find it a tad funny), but I do notice you put green house in inverted commas. I know you're a climate change sceptic, but do you not even believe in the green house effect? As I've told you before, it's very easy to prove - 2 plastic bottles, some co2, thermometers and ordinary air. Without green house gases we would freeze to death.Evann the nuttiest anti climate changers acknowledge the greenhouse effect.
Regrettably, the outer fringes of the political are habituated to ignoring mere reality when it conflicts with doctrine.

cue playground response of "you're one yourself, doodiehead"

oddsox

The Greens are a very smart bunch!
Reduce the economy,, emissions fall!
Get rid of the Greens,,,, less bullsh1te,,emissions fall even more!
P.S flying in organic fruit and veg is not organic.
PPS Global warming has been happening since the ICE AGE.

LeDroit

My dearest darling, (that patronising enough?), I acknowledge that concentrated CO2 when compared to diluted CO2 (air) has a hyperthermal effect inside a plastic bottle but to say that this replicates the incredibly sophisticated and self regulating chemistry of our atmosphere is to say that water left in a bottle to go murky replicates the ocean.

Global Scamawarming is a tax policy. Simple as.

Cassandra Syndrome

Or an exercise in cheap point-scoring for people who believe that business shouldn't be regulated in any way, and who therefore want to try to set up the emotive link "emissions cuts = recession".

Admittedly that's based on the assumption that virtually nobody's actually dim enough not to understand causality, although I can see that CS has already posted.
The quantitative data around the world illustrates that the decrease in Carbon emissions correlates with the decrease in domestic Gross National Product. Personally speaking, even from being more of a qualitative data person and using econometric modelling more for comparable purposes, the causality of this correlation is primarily related to the Second Great Depression. End of.

Anyhow if I need constructive criticism on my interpretation of econometrics, the last person I would listen to is a spiteful, economic illiterate, vulgarian like yourself.

Stick to labelling stones or whatever non-economic related degree activity you frequently beat your chest around about here about having.

Jethro

This is obviously true. Stopping giving subsidies to the peat plants and farmers of Biffo land would be a start.

But I think it's also fair to say that, generally, the Greens would be happy with less economic gowth than the long term trend.

Red_93

My dearest darling, (that patronising enough?), I acknowledge that concentrated CO2 when compared to diluted CO2 (air) has a
hyperthermal
Stop googling long words, we all know you're ignorant - you don't need to put on that facade (who's the patronising one now?).
effect inside a plastic bottle but to say that this replicates the incredibly sophisticated and self regulating chemistry
I never claimed it did and yes, nature can be self regulating, but it took our atmosphere millions of years to get to what it is today. Anyway, I was simply inquiring as to whether you acknowledge the existence of the greenhouse effect in our atmosphere.
of our atmosphere is to say that water left in a bottle to go murky replicates the ocean.
No.
Global Scamawarming is a tax policy. Simple as.
Again, I did not intend to hear your views on the theory of climate change, but rather wanted to know whether you recognised the greenhouse effect. And you begin to sound more like FT by the day. And BTW, that's an awful pun, I've expected better from you :mad:!

Last edited:

Panopticon

I don't think anyone with credibility has said that the fall in emissions is good because it was caused by less economic activity. Especially the Green Party.

ibis

I don't think anyone with credibility has said that the fall in emissions is good because it was caused by less economic activity. Especially the Green Party.
This being p.ie, the wit and repartee that will follow from your last sentence is predictable.

Cassandra Syndrome

No, just Nobel winning scientists...

Atmospheric scientist Paul J Crutzen, who has in the past floated the possibility of blitzing the stratosphere with sulfur particles to cool the earth, said clouds gathering over the world economy could ease the earth's environmental burden.

Slower economic growth worldwide could help slow growth of carbon dioxide emissions and trigger more careful use of energy resources, though the global economic turmoil may also divert focus from efforts to counter climate change, said Crutzen, winner of the 1995 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work on the depletion of the ozone layer.
From 2008

Economic woes may give planet a breather | Reuters

Meantime, the primary driver behind climate change, AKA The Sun, is in the midst of a Dalton Minimum like cycle and another bitterly cold winter beckons.

But hey lets just sacrifice everything and submit to the cult.

H

It's simpler than that...The Green/FFer's support for stealth taxes, fuel levies etc, that are designed to hurt the poorest in society is to allow them to pass the stealth tax "subsidies" to their friends in the joke renewable industries.

It's just the usual level of political sleaze we have learned to expect from the Green/FFer's politicians

Cassandra Syndrome

It's simpler than that...The Green/FFer's support for stealth taxes, fuel levies etc, that are designed to hurt the poorest in society is to allow them to pass the stealth tax "subsidies" to their friends in the joke renewable industries.

It's just the usual level of political sleaze we have learned to expect from the Green/FFer's politicians
+1

I'm pro renewable energy, but leave it to the entrepreneurs to develop, invent and innovate, not to a bunch of middle class elitist, statist, neofeudal turds crippling everyone else trying to make a living.

ONQ

Wait until you see the tax credits for NOT having kids and the bonus payments from the state for recommending your aged reletives to avail of euthanasia - wipes out billions in the budget at a stroke - HSE payments, Old Age Pension, state sponsored nursing homes, and if they opt for cremation, we might even get some energy back from them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies