Green Party - what is their strategy for the next GE?

OceanFrog

I've always thought that the Green Party would have to go into the next GE as opponents of FF ... they could never go into an election campaign on a platform of getting re-elected with FF after all that has happened (in fairness, much of this mess was not caused by the Greens). Thus, my thinking was that the Green Party would find a reason to pull down the Govt and thus be able to go into the next election firmly opposing FF.

However, I am being proven wrong ... the Greens are supporting FF very strongly and have no intention of going anywhere it seems. This does not make sense to me. They must know this Govt has at most 6 months to run with the by-elections being held before Summer 2011. This means they are unlikely to get much of their pending legislation passed (corporate donations, appointment to public bodies, etc). So what are the Greens up to? They were given enough reasons to pull out and collapse this sorry mess of a Govt this week, but instead they come out in support of FF even more strongly than usual (Eamo Ryan yesterday, Gormley today).

So, what am I missing here? The Greens had a perfect chance to walk away this week but didn't. And they wont walk over the 4yr plan or the budget either. What is the Green electoral strategy for the next GE?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I'm blue in the face saying the very same things to my high level contacts.
I give up.

I heard one very senior party figure wants to pull out, and has wanted for some time now. You'd be surprised who it is. But it's not happening.

Mind you if they somehow manage to get Corporate Donations through in the last minute of injury time, it will not all have been for nothing.
They did get the planning bill through, and there's good stuff in it.

Grumpy Jack

They should stay indoors and off the streets until the polls have closed. Woe betide any FF or Green candidate who knocks on my door.

I have a pup who's p1ssing for Ireland at present. I shall collect every drop in buckets and chuck it over any Green or FFer who comes to my doorstep.

I hope the Irish people have enough cop on and courage to dispatch FF and the Greens into the dustbin of Irish political history.

Asparagus

Change name to L@b0ur and hope nobody notices...

sport02

Where are their strategists, surely the senior people in the party must realise, in order for them to have any chance of redemption, or anychance of public opinion swaying in their direction, they have to pull the plug.
Can you imagie if their is a general election, that is called in an orderly fashion, without the green's instigating it, is there any Green TD'S that would retain their seat?

blackpitts

Who knows. If Planet Bertie was a strange place Planet Gormley is an even stranger one. Given that Spineless seems to drink daily from the Well of Delusion who knows what he's thinking in his alternate universe where having a bit of aul' "green legislation" - whatever the f&!$ that is - is more important than a functioning political system.

OceanFrog

I heard one very senior party figure wants to pull out, and has wanted for some time now. You'd be surprised who it is. But it's not happening.
I've heard this too, but I also know he/she is lukewarm about the idea at best.

In my opinion the Greens have no chance of getting any more of their legislation passed, and their influence on the budget is going to be minimal at this stage. Everyone in the know will tell you that corporate donations have zero chance of being banned.

So why dont the Greens walk now? If they stay into 2011 they will have no choice but to stand on a joint platform with FF for re-election. But this does not make sense.

Confusing stuff.

@ Quizmaster - I heard about a few ructions and raised voices at the Green PP meeting this week ... have you heard anything similar? PM me if you wish ;)

ruamruam

Where are their strategists, surely the senior people in the party must realise, in order for them to have any chance of redemption, or anychance of public opinion swaying in their direction, they have to pull the plug.
Can you imagie if their is a general election, that is called in an orderly fashion, without the green's instigating it, is there any Green TD'S that would retain their seat?
If they pulled the plug now it would be seen as the cynical ploy it is and would not help them at all.

There will be no Green TD in the next dail

Cyberspaced

It's bizarre. Their initial reason for staying in with FF was that the Green agenda superseded the need to bring down FF. Clearly no such agenda is on the table anymore. There is zero reason to be still in Government. Absolutely none. But yet, by staying the course they are effectively wiping out the Green movement they have been so advocating is essential for the future of the planet.

It's the most twisted logic ever. If any GP candidate calls to my door it'll be Haye on Harrison all over again.

Mushroom

I am prepared to concede that point. But it's a pretty woeful return for the lasting damage that the foolish, power-crazy Green lemmings have caused to their party.

sport02

If they pulled the plug now it would be seen as the cynical ploy it is and would not help them at all.

There will be no Green TD in the next dail
Everyone on the street, including the dogs on the street knew we were being taken for fools this week by FF.
In fairness from last Saturday when the BBC reported the bailout, until it became clear, I didn't hear any Green TD deny it, unlike their politica bed-fellows the FF..

Surely those misleading antics including the IMF actually in the country, would have given the Green's a perfect excuse to withdraw from goverment, and at the same time showing some integrity.

Mushroom

Everyone on the street, including the dogs on the street knew we were being taken for fools this week by FF.
In fairness from last Saturday when the BBC reported the bailout, until it became clear, I didn't hear any Green TD deny it, unlike their politica bed-fellows the FF..

Surely those misleading antics including the IMF actually in the country, would have given the Green's a perfect excuse to withdraw from goverment, and at the same time showing some integrity.

Stockholm syndrome - they're there until the final act of this dismal black comedy.

Sync

None at all, they're dead. FF will get lots of people elected, and there will be lots of close votes. They have something to focus on and rebuild. There's a very real chance that all the Greens are going to be eliminated at the next election and honestly, there's nothing they can do about it.

Their current situation is akin to being in a canoe as a tsunami is a mile behind you. You know you have to start paddling, but you know with certainty that you're still going to drown.

OceanFrog

That is my point ... if they didn't pull out this week, when will they ever pull out?

Btw, I heard from a reliable source that the Greens were fuming with FF about they way they lied about the IMF negotiations. Apparently, some high level Greens were also lied to. This makes the actions of the Greens even more confusing :confused::confused::confused:

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
...@ Quizmaster - I heard about a few ructions and raised voices at the Green PP meeting this week ... have you heard anything similar? PM me if you wish ;)
I haven't been in touch this week but will make a few soundings if I get a chance.

I think the mood in Leinster House is that the budget must get through, come hell or high water. Because if it doesn't, the crisis we're in now will look like a picnic by comparison. Even some Fine Gael TDs are saying they'll support it.

How long does it take to vote the budget in? A few days? Watch when it's done. Things might get a bit seismic down Kildare St. way.

brigg

The Greens in their current form will almost certainly be wiped out. The only future I can see for the Greens is for Gormley and co. to step aside, and admit their mistakes. The many disaffected former members who opposed going into government should be persuaded to come back to the party, and a new leadership untainted by government needs to emerge. The party will need to be rebuilt from the bottom up.

bokuden

I'm blue in the face saying the very same things to my high level contacts.
I give up.

Mind you if they somehow manage to get Corporate Donations through in the last minute of injury time, it will not all have been for nothing.

What d'you mean it's not happening??? He should just walk. Planning bill me mickey. It's all ripped up. The IMF are in town thanks to your crowd. Haven't you heard?

Hewson

So, what am I missing here? The Greens had a perfect chance to walk away this week but didn't. And they wont walk over the 4yr plan or the budget either. What is the Green electoral strategy for the next GE?
It's quite simple. The Greens are going to be decimated at the next GE. They won't return a single TD so they figure they might as well hang in there to the bitter end. The open support for Fianna Fail at this point in the game has sealed their fate.

The Green rubbish is about the join the Fianna Fail trash in the dustbin of history, and long may they remain there.

Ganyer

"Maybe we can build a fire, sing a couple of songs, huh, how about we try that"

ruamruam

When it became obvious that the bankers lied through their teeth at the time of the bank bailout that was the time to pull the plug if they had any integrity.

The greens had any number of excuses to run but chose not to and when/if they pull the plug now or in the near future it will be seen as a cynical move as they know we are likely to have an election in the new year

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies