Green Party - what is their strategy for the next GE?

Mushroom

I expect we will hit rock bottom in the next election. I also think we deserve it.
But still I'm hanging in. One of these days I, and others like me, will take back the party.

I sincerely hope that you're right as I deeply desire a Green Ireland.

But the party must purge itself of every single Green TD and Senator before I'll contemplate voting Green again. I'm still annoyed that I was obliged to waste my high preferences on Joe Higgins and Trish McKenna in order to punish Gormley (and thus De Burca) in the last Euro-elections. But they still didn't get the message.

blackpitts

I think the mood in Leinster House is that the budget must get through, come hell or high water. Because if it doesn't, the crisis we're in now will look like a picnic by comparison. Even some Fine Gael TDs are saying they'll support it.
I agree. I think they'll stick around to get the budget through. After that if they have even a shred of dignity left they'll give the people the GE we so badly want and need. That said, if they are thinking of doing this I feel they'd be laying down markers already.

Either way, I think they'll be lucky to come back with one seat, more likely none. The only question in my mind is whether they pointlessly hang on to the bitter end (for reasons I cannot fathom) or go out with a modicum of dignity.

Tea Party Patriot

I expect we will hit rock bottom in the next election. I also think we deserve it.
But still I'm hanging in. One of these days I, and others like me, will take back the party.
While my politics and that of the Green Party would be very different I do admire the people who managed to build it up from scratch to the point where they were able to entre government.

It takes a lot of hard work and courage to break beyond and the status quo of the main parties and build a new one from the ground up. It most certainly must be a difficult time for the party activists who helped them achieve this.

Ganyer

*yawn* a bit of a cut and paste job there.
It's one thing to be angry, it's another thing trying to think through some sensible solutions.

I'm guessing you were never a Green voter.
Presumption with a little twist of sanctimony, from a Green. Whoodathunkit.

I did extend Green Candidate's preferences in every election since I was eligible to vote as many of their policies were laudable. I won't be voting Green again.

As for "thinking through some sensible solutions". It is somewhat late in the day for that. From here on in the IMF will be doing the thinking, do you understand that?. They are calling the shots when it comes to our fiscal policy.They care not a jot for anyone's political persuasion or policy sacred cows.

Cato

I voted Green in the last election, gave them my number one, albeit in a constituency where they had no chance of winning a seat. More fool me. I will never vote for them again as long as any of the current TDs have anything to do with the party.

SlickWilly

While the Eff Effers will be back possibly with the shinners c. 2016 in government, people have sussed the yellahs out high taxes in the guise of green taxes, possibly 70c plastic bags all brought into force by middle class imbeciles - even the paddys won't swallow that again! The future for these tossers is to become a much more insignificant party than the PDS, who caused so much problems, but had power which the Yellahs won't for a long long time!

Nordie Northsider

I'm a long time Green Party supporter and I live in penury. And believe you me I'm not the only one.
It may be a party with a middle-class profile, but that doesn't help much these days.
In our case, I'm dreading the budget becuase our daughter has a special needs assistant and the've always been touch and go about funding her.
There are many such stories among the "new poor".
Hi Quizmaster. I've no doubt that there are Green Party activists who are feeling the recession as much as any of us, and I certainly don't like to hear how you're fixed. I should have been more specific and said the Green parliamentary party are mostly quite well-off. You ask why they can't see what's in front of them and I'd suggest that their social class has a lot to do with it. They just don't get how angry people are.

Here's an example. When the bin charges came in I remember talking to a Green Party member in Fingal who was all on for the charges and mocked Joe Higinn's 'Bintifada'. I replied that the fees weren't too high but that there was a danger they could rise - as Irish stealth taxes often do. If added to water charges they could be a burden to some of the poorest families. Her reply was that she couldn't imagine any family missing a few euros a week and, if they did, they could cut back a bit on the booze and fags. That type of thing. I'm sure other forum members could quote you more of it.

Rocket Man

I really can't see what they can do at this stage that will make any difference.
I would have said that in order to have any chance they would have to bring down the government and face the electorate in opposition to FF.

However now it is even too late for that to make any difference.
Whatever they do they are finished.

It is vital for them, if they are to have a future, to win at least one seat in the election.
Any seat in the Dail would give them some bit of a platform.
For this reason I think they will have to get behind Sargeant in a big way once the election kicks off. He is their only realistic chance of a seat.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
While the Eff Effers will be back possibly with the shinners c. 2016 in government, people have sussed the yellahs out high taxes in the guise of green taxes, possibly 70c plastic bags all brought into force by middle class imbeciles - even the paddys won't swallow that again! The future for these tossers is to become a much more insignificant party than the PDS, who caused so much problems, but had power which the Yellahs won't for a long long time!
*two fingers salute*

Hey it's Friday, the sun is shining. I'm outta here.

consultant

Then the current leadership fades away and the party is slowly built up again from the ground, even if it means enduring some of the "back to basics" type fundamentalists that we had back in the '80s.

I thought the greens portrayed themselves as the most 'democratic' party in Ireland who did nothing without the support of the majority of their members.

I even railed many time about how 2/3 of a group of about 600 was being interpreted as representative of the other 3,999,400 of the population who didn't attend green seances.

So, are we to take it that the majority of greens want them to continue to prop up FF? Continue with the treachery that has been their contribution to Ireland for the last 3 years?

Or has green 'democracy' gone out the window, exposed as the cynical fraud it really was?

MDaniel

Strategy: no knocking on doors, distribute leaflets after midnight and finding a safe heaven for ministerial and TD's pensions. I'll wait when they disband and a completely new Green Party who cares about the poor does come; not an upper-middle class party that thinks we all have a huge garden for kitchen rubbish to keep away the flies from our main door in the summer.
I have a bottle of bubbly just ready to celebrate the present Green Party extinction.

ruamruam

I really can't see what they can do at this stage that will make any difference.
I would have said that in order to have any chance they would have to bring down the government and face the electorate in opposition to FF.

However now it is even too late for that to make any difference.
Whatever they do they are finished.

It is vital for them, if they are to have a future, to win at least one seat in the election.
Any seat in the Dail would give them some bit of a platform.
For this reason I think they will have to get behind Sargeant in a big way once the election kicks off. He is their only realistic chance of a seat.
Beg to differ, if the Green party is to survive (and I hope it does) it needs to purge itself of all it's TDs and senators if it is to rebuild as a party with any integrity.

The Green TDs and senators are complicit in the greatest swindle in the history of the state.

Baron von Biffo

It really doesn't matter what little strategy the Greens come up with, they're buggered.

Last GE they promised action on Shannon, Tara, incineration, coursing etc but they dropped the lot to get into government. They make much of being the most democratic party in the country yet they repeatedly voted to deny democratic representation to several constituencies. Their priority was getting little extra earners for all their TDs (except Gogarty) and fixing up their rejects with sinecures.

They're trying to sell cow sh1te by labelling it beef but no one will be buying.

cedarwood10

Why they didn't pull the plug.....

Quite simply "they were making history". This was the line they constantly spun to their followers.

Well, you can't say they won't be remembered now!:eek:

anfieldabff

Quite simply "they were making history". This was the line they constantly spun to their followers.

Well, you can't say they won't be remembered now!:eek:
Cannot wait for the GE, it is on the way and there is nothing they can do about it. They will lose the high/supreme court challenge and other bye elections will have to be held.
Then I will collect togather my stock of rancid cheese and eggs and if any green party, FF, or Michael Lowery canvasser calls they will get what is coming to them.

redhead101

Don't be surprised if Mark Dearey is their best vote getter, though without reaching the target. He's one to watch for the future.
I've a lot of time for Dearey, but it's saying something about the Greens, when their only 'one to watch for the future' is closer to 50 than 40.

Rocket Man

Beg to differ, if the Green party is to survive (and I hope it does) it needs to purge itself of all it's TDs and senators if it is to rebuild as a party with any integrity.

The Green TDs and senators are complicit in the greatest swindle in the history of the state.
I take your point but it is very difficult for a party to get its message out there if it does not have any nationally elected members.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies