Greenbow Coalition?

ShoutingIsLeadership

We roughly know what the numbers are, but a path to government seems challenging. Who can we rule out?

FG - FG will not enter a confidence/supply arrangement and will not go into government with SF. FG has taken a bit of a beating and its TDs are probably in need of a break. Opposition awaits.

FF - Has underperformed again in this election, yet is the largest party (but not with the largest vote). Has lost key front benchers in Lisa Chambers and Timmy Dooley (probably). FF has a weak hand despite being the largest party.

SF - Has made huge gains and has the momentum, but this is a numbers game and there is no path to government without one of FF or FG. FG has ruled itself out, so FF it has to be to avoid an election.

Politicians, except defeated politicians, do not want another election. They are human and they want job stability. If SF facilitates Taoiseach Martin, the backlash from its new voters might be very damaging to the idea that it is the party of change. How to get out of this?

SF to engage with Greens, SocDems and Labour, to build a left coalition led by SF. SF to offer Greens 2 Ministries and 2 Jnr Ministries, SocDems a Ministry and Jnr Ministry, and Labour a Super-Jnr and 1 Jnr Ministry. This coalition - NOT SF - to approach FF to form a government, to have a rotating Taoiseach. With SF and Co. now the largest part of the coalition, Mary Lou McDonald to be the next Taoiseach before it rotates to Martin. What thinks ye of this Greenbow Coalition?

drjimryan2

I must say that would be a step too far for Martin/ff to make mlmd Taoiseach.....

However anything could happen as Sinn Fein/ira hold all the cards....and would run more people in a subsequent election and would probably win 45 seats....sobering thought indeed....

Based on current figures it does look like a ff led government with Sinn Fein/ira and a few independents.....

ShoutingIsLeadership

I must say that would be a step too far for Martin/ff to make mlmd Taoiseach.....

However anything could happen as Sinn Fein/ira hold all the cards....and would run more people in a subsequent election and would probably win 45 seats....sobering thought indeed....

Based on current figures it does look like a ff led government with Sinn Fein/ira and a few independents.....
I do not see how a strong SF can afford to let it be led by a weak FF. I also can't see FF wanting to go back to the people...it went into this election expecting 60 seats, yet it seems to have barely broken 40.

Seems like his last roll of the dice is to go into government

patwmcgee

Twitter
patwmcgee
FF would have won big had they brought back Bertie Ahern as leader. Ireland was rocking and rolling when he was PM back in the 90s. People look back on the good times with nostalgia

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Sinn Fein should play very hard to get. Another election can only benefit them as they could run across all 159 constituencies and given the PR boost they've just had they might even end with a majority.

talkingshop

I do not see how a strong SF can afford to let it be led by a weak FF. I also can't see FF wanting to go back to the people...it went into this election expecting 60 seats, yet it seems to have barely broken 40.

Seems like his last roll of the dice is to go into government
If SF will not agree "reasonable" terms with FF, then I would see FF and FG going into coalition (maybe with SDs, Greens or Labour) rather than have another election.

ruserious

Although I’m a SF voter, I’m not a huge leftie but I would love to see a left wing government so we can move Irish politics away from the civil war and into a properly functioning left right system. For too long FF and FG controlled both the narrative and direction of the country and that is how we ended up with golden circles.

ShoutingIsLeadership

If SF will not agree "reasonable" terms with FF, then I would see FF and FG going into coalition (maybe with SDs, Greens or Labour) rather than have another election.
There is zero chance of FG and FF getting into bed together...it would be a huge gift to SF

ShoutingIsLeadership

Sinn Fein should play very hard to get. Another election can only benefit them as they could run across all 159 constituencies and given the PR boost they've just had they might even end with a majority.
I think you get one chance to have a moment...this is the moment and there are any number of variables attached to election campaigns

making waves

SF to engage with Greens, SocDems and Labour, to build a left coalition led by SF. SF to offer Greens 2 Ministries and 2 Jnr Ministries, SocDems a Ministry and Jnr Ministry, and Labour a Super-Jnr and 1 Jnr Ministry. This coalition - NOT SF - to approach FF to form a government, to have a rotating Taoiseach. With SF and Co. now the largest part of the coalition, Mary Lou McDonald to be the next Taoiseach before it rotates to Martin. What thinks ye of this Greenbow Coalition?
Go for it - because it is quite possible the actual government will be something pretty close to that - without all the singing and dancing.

My prediction - FF/SF/GP

Baron von Biffo

We roughly know what the numbers are, but a path to government seems challenging. Who can we rule out?

FG - FG will not enter a confidence/supply arrangement and will not go into government with SF. FG has taken a bit of a beating and its TDs are probably in need of a break. Opposition awaits.

FF - Has underperformed again in this election, yet is the largest party (but not with the largest vote). Has lost key front benchers in Lisa Chambers and Timmy Dooley (probably). FF has a weak hand despite being the largest party.

SF - Has made huge gains and has the momentum, but this is a numbers game and there is no path to government without one of FF or FG. FG has ruled itself out, so FF it has to be to avoid an election.

Politicians, except defeated politicians, do not want another election. They are human and they want job stability. If SF facilitates Taoiseach Martin, the backlash from its new voters might be very damaging to the idea that it is the party of change. How to get out of this?

I think it would make nailing a jelly to the ceiling seem like a perfectly sensible endeavour.

Lord Talbot

lol settle down...

Volatire

Nonsensical rubbish.

MsDaisyC

There is zero chance of FG and FF getting into bed together...it would be a huge gift to SF
It already was a huge gift to SF! The con & supply agreement was seen by Saturday's electorate as a coalition and both parties were roundly and soundly punished. They'll capitulate to keep their seats, knowing another election will punish them further.

farnaby

FF and SF to bristle at each other across the cabinet table, kept civil by the “lucky Pierre” Greens in between.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies