Greens call for end of tax veto

Sweet Darling

It should have been highlighted straight away.

But it does not fit the Irish media's agenda of having the Greens in government with the Irish media's chosen co-participants after the next election.
The greens are middleclass snobs. Everything was grand until the working class started taking holidays abroad and plumbers started moving in next door with their big SUV diesels.

shiel

The greens are middleclass snobs. Everything was grand until the working class started taking holidays abroad and plumbers started moving in next door with their big SUV diesels.
They might be snobs and want to dismantle Ireland's 12.5% corporation tax regime but the Irish media want them in government after the next election.

The Irish media agenda for the next election is to have the greens in government under M Martin as Taoiseach.

That narrative will be relentlessly pursued for the coming months.

shiel

There is so that they no doubt that multinationals shift profits to avoid taxes but it is also true that only a worldwide agreement can combat them. What the Greens want is for Ireland to transfer the ability to set tax rates to a combination of France and other states within the EU so that they become more attractive than Ireland to multinationals.
Why has this not been highlighted by our media?

Why has this thread been dropped from the discussion?

wombat

Why has this not been highlighted by our media?

Why has this thread been dropped from the discussion?
FF/Green is preferred option of media and a general hostility to multinationals.

kerdasi amaq

What we really need is a tax veto on the latchicoes in Leinster House.

shiel

What we really need is a tax veto on the latchicoes in Leinster House.
This is a democracy.

We elect the latchicoes in Leinster house.

Not alone that we voted to retain the Seanad when we had an opportunity to get rid of some of the latchicoes.

We did that because the media told us to maintain the talking shop that is the Seanad.

It is not the salaries or the expenses however that is the problem.

It is the decisions they make.

But the media spend all day every day putting on pressure to spend more money for every vested interest.

At the end of the period between 1997 and 2010 government expenditure had gone up five times what it was at the beginning of that period.

But the media did not then complain about that cost which bankrupt the country.

AyaanMyHero

A second article that mentions the Green MEPs voting against Ireland’s interests to date.

Says in view of an aim to be in power, greens have two enemies: their political opponents in an election and their own idealism.

greencharade

A second article that mentions the Green MEPs voting against Ireland’s interests to date.

Says in view of an aim to be in power, greens have two enemies: their political opponents in an election and their own idealism.
How is it "Ireland's interests" to allow itself to become a vassal state for sophisticated money laundering activities?

Last edited:

AyaanMyHero

How is it "Ireland's interests" to allow itself to become a vassal state for sophisticated money laundering activities?
I acknowledge there are arguments on both sides. On one side, it is argued the economy might suffer if we raised corporate tax. On the other side, it is argued we are giving big companies an easy ride. Then, there is the question of just how much tax is reasonable on company profits and are there reasons for that to vary from country to country.

All that aside, I only know that it has been government policy for a long time to hold corporate tax at 12.5% and I know that is because we are very reliant on inward investment.

When I see MEPs going renegade and going against a very important long term Government policy, then I say there is something very wrong.

toughbutfair

I was going to vote Green but now won’t.

FG - support RIC and cowboy builders
FF - led us from boom to IMF
SF - IRA stuff
Greens - against our successful tax policy

The only party left is bloody Labour. Fear they are my only option.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
I was going to vote Green but now won’t.

FG - support RIC and cowboy builders
FF - led us from boom to IMF
SF - IRA stuff
Greens - against our successful tax policy

The only party left is bloody Labour. Fear they are my only option.
There are always alternative candidates standing

Try the Irish Freedom Party or The National Party

- that will shake them up! :)

ruman

Would like to see the EU take more control over our spending given none of the parties are prepared to tackle vested interest groups.

AyaanMyHero

Would like to see the EU take more control over our spending given none of the parties are prepared to tackle vested interest groups.
Scary solution.
An extreme solution.
What vested interest groups do you think of in particular ?

shiel

Prime time debate tonight never mentioned the fact that the Greens want to get rid of the veto that Ireland has in relation to corporation tax.

The agenda of getting them into government is holding strong.

AyaanMyHero

Prime time debate tonight never mentioned the fact that the Greens want to get rid of the veto that Ireland has in relation to corporation tax.

why that agenda though ? Why do FG not try to gain votes from the greens by raising this point about green disregard for the Irish economy ? It is clear FG are against higher corporate tax. So it would not be disingenuous for them to raise the point.

A potential answer is that FG see the greens as their prime coalition partner and they do not think that they themselves would gain from hurting the green vote. It is the best hypothesis I can think of. The weakness in it is that I feel FG would actually pick up quite a few of those lost green votes.

This point may come to the surface closer to Election Day when there is less time for the greens to defend themselves. Also, for sure, Paschal D is not a natural hatchet man. Leo would be the better choice.

AyaanMyHero

why that agenda though ? Why do FG not try to gain votes from the greens by raising this point about green disregard for the Irish economy ? It is clear FG are against higher corporate tax. So it would not be disingenuous for them to raise the point.

A potential answer is that FG see the greens as their prime coalition partner and they do not think that they themselves would gain from hurting the green vote. It is the best hypothesis I can think of. The weakness in it is that I feel FG would actually pick up quite a few of those lost green votes.

This point may come to the surface closer to Election Day when there is less time for the greens to defend themselves. Also, for sure, Paschal D is not a natural hatchet man. Leo would be the better choice.
My hypothesis looks like nonsense when you consider this.

The greens took only 2 seats in 2016 and going back 30 years, 6 seats was the most they ever got.

That kinda indicates that the greens might not be worth fighting with on a national stage. No more than it is worth fighting with solidarity on a national stage. The national stage is perhaps used for nailing your more serious opponents.

That said, all the noise about climate change (as well as good results in local and euro elections) gives the impression the greens might do better than they have been in past elections. Remains to be seen.

wombat

I wonder is there an element of fighting the last war in the presumption that the Greens will gain seats in every Dublin constituency? The basis of the prediction is their gains in the locals and Europeans in city areas, Dublin especially. The locals were an opportunity to kick the govt and coincided with a lot of media emphasis on climate change. A general election is primarily to choose a govt and I wonder how many taxpaying parents making good money in their multinational will listen to the advice of their kids this time. Its one thing to be an indulgent parent but its up to a parent to make sure they can put bread on the table

owedtojoy

Absolutely right, because the real story is about what the Government (which may be FF) will do if the OECD recommends changes in the international tax regime.

The thread is just a gratuitous swipe at the Greens, the real issue is cross party.

ruman

Scary solution.

An extreme solution.
What vested interest groups do you think of in particular ?
The legal and medical professions. The troika called for significant reform in both areas but this never occurred.
It's self evident that radical reform of the health service is required. This will require facing down the public sector unions. I doubt even TD's within the main parties think that is likely to happen.

Our main political parties to any rational observer have given up on our health service. We need to face up to this and stop deluding ourselves. There are significant elements of the Irish population that cannot afford access to either a proper health service or recourse through the courts , this despite funding it through taxation and also funding the education of those employed within it.

Popular Threads

Most Replies