Greens prepared to hold on a little longer??

spidermom

Just listening to the Late Debate. They mentioning tomorrows newspapers which state that the Greens are prepared to hold on a little longer!!

Will see more on VB no doubt when he shows the morning newspapers!

sport02

First they told us Jan, then Dan Boyle said no later than Feb.
You cannot trust any of these guys.

spidermom

They went back to it at the very end...March..!

flavirostris

Are these guys just trying to make certain that they come back with 0 seats

spidermom

Are these guys just trying to make certain that they come back with 0 seats
God knows..perhaps we will have another press conference to explain....!

Idiots!

Marcos the black

Yeah these guys must feel so serville. I'm actually embarrassed for them.

sport02

Dan Boyle Tweet 3rd Dec 2010

"Election will be called on completion of Finance Bill. Mid to late Januuary and three weeks after that."

Are they really living in an asylum.

hammer

So what ?

Gormley if he delays will wipe out the last chance of survival.

GoGo was a right dummy in the DAIL yesterday. He was mouthing abuse at Noonan :)

Keane

They cant hold on much longer the by-elections to be held in spring so they wont hang on for that. Besides they surely know hanging on longer will make the people even more angry.

king5494

They cant hold on much longer the by-elections to be held in spring so they wont hang on for that. Besides they surely know hanging on longer will make the people even more angry.
And what exactly are the people going to do about it.

Protest ,not likely .
Paddy the pig will just accept it and change the channel to corrie or eastenders.

CookieMonster

Greens aint going anywhere. They'll have to be dragged out of office.

Fr. Hank Tree

What exactly was the point of that little stunt so if they weren't prepared to stick with the deadline specified by themselves?

Assuming of course the story is correct.

sport02

What exactly was the point of that little stunt so if they weren't prepared to stick with the deadline specified by themselves?

Assuming of course the story is correct.
The reason why they pulled the stunt, and I posted this at the time, that morning Lowry/Healy Rae and two FF backbenchers came out with statements, Cowen was in big trouble.

The Greens rushed in so they wouldn't lose too much of the limelight, remember Gogarty couldn't get a babysitter, and Cowen only heard 15mins before the press conference.
It was a rushed job by the Greens, and they lie through their teeth saying otherwise, they are backtracking now.

anewbeginning

Aren't the Greens also looking for some more legislation as well. Sounds like an excuse to wait in government even longer.

Last year it was mid march before the budgetary process was completed. If the same happens next year, it will at least be early April before there is an election. And sure isn't the summer recess only around the corner then?

And with the threat of a GE, Cowen will have an excuse not to hold the by-elections.

I don't think this government are going anywhere for a long time.

I trust the Green Party even less than I trust Fianna Fail now.

miclin

OK, so the budget's initial provisions have passed and we can assume that the welfare provisions and other items will also pass. 10 year Irish govt bond yields have slipped from 9.5% to below 8% in a week so markets are calming in response. Calling time on the government prevented any back bench or independents from collapsing the budget as a way of gaining attention. Knowing that the election would come in the spring, FG were willing to abstain if needed to pass the budget though only Lucinda would admit this.

The budget had plenty of green input. Nearly 400m capital budget will be allocated to public transport. Included in this will be enabling works for the Metro North. Regional airports spend has been cut by nearly 50%, in recognition that there is no point funding domestic air to compete against rail and express buses on our motorway network.

435m into the Water Services Investment Program for 2011. A lot of this will go on fixing leaks prior to the introduction of Water Metering and charging as agreed with the IMF.

Cuts to ministers' pay, ministers to car pool in future. Gulfstream jet will not be replaced. Should have been done years ago but better late than never and impossible for a new administration to roll back on.

53m to tackle homelessness in 2011. Tax on large lump sum pension payoffs. A budget independently assessed as progressive and fair by the ESRI.
Budget 2011: changes hit richest homes hardest - The Irish Times - Thu, Dec 09, 2010

In education, pupil-teacher ratios were maintained as agreed in the PFG2. Registration fees went up by much less than had been speculated. No cuts in the number of Special Needs Assistants, or in educational psychologists.

€100m was allocated for retrofitting insulation to houses built under poor ff/pd building standards - many during the last decade. Houses will be insulated at a rate of 100K per year for the coming decade so that more than half the housing stock will be re-insulated by 2020. €44m was allocated to provide 100Mb broadband to every secondary school in Ireland by 2012.

Three main items from the Green program for government 2009 are hoped to pass: the act to ban corporate donations including donations from trade unions, the Dublin Mayor Act and the Climate Change Act. In addition The Welfare of Greyhounds Bill 2010 was agreed at cabinet at the end of November and will have to pass or JG can simply issue an SI for greyhounds under the provisions of the Dog Breeding Establishments Act passed in the summer.

So that's the state of play as we wind down to the next general election.

Following the election, the next administration will find a number of green policies agreed for implementation with the IMF/EFSF. These include property tax, water tax, increased carbon tax and excise duties. VAT increases in 2012/2013 will inhibit pointless consumption. Corporate tax wil still be at 12.5% and income taxes will be below EU average.

So there you have it - all rosy in the garden - see you next spring.

cul de sac

The significance of what the greens say and do is decreasing by the hour. You were warned by Garland to use a long spoon when supping with the devil. Unfortunately the medicine served by the electorate will be permanent...

DeputyEdo

People

At absolutely no point did the Greens promise any election.

Greens call for a general election to be held in January · TheJournal.ie
Look at what Gormley said
"We have now reached a point where the Irish people need political certainty to take them beyond the coming two months. So, we believe it is time to fix a date for a general election in the second half of January 2011."

I can't see anywhere there where he said there will be an election, or if there isn't, the Greens will pull out of government.
What he said is "we believe it is time to fix a date for a general election"

I believe it's time for me to ride Angelina Jolie.
Now my statement above, does that mean I am riding her, I will be riding her in the future, or it's merely something I believe should happen????

Wake up and listen to what politicians say...they're all weasel worded fooks!!

OceanFrog

@ miclin ... a direct question ... what is your best guess for the date of the GE?

New Threads

Most Replies