Greens rule out pension cuts as part of next month's budget

Kevin Doyle

j26

does that mean O.A.P state pensions, or political pensions?
Both I'd say. Gormley wants that pension.

I'm inclined to agreethat the Greens are looking for an exit strategy now. Shame it's too late to save them.

Bridget558

WTF? THIS MAKES ME SICK. Why should the oap's who have no bills Free esb Free tv licence Free phone not get a cut when young widows and the unemployed who a ************************ load of bills get a cut for a second year in a row ?

afns1

WTF? THIS MAKES ME SICK. Why should the oap's who have no bills Free esb Free tv licence Free phone not get a cut when young widows and the unemployed who a ************************ load of bills get a cut for a second year in a row ?
Most likely disability payments (for people unable to work due to long-term illness or disability) will be cut for a second time in a row also.

I remember Paul Gogarty* making the point soon after the last budget that pensioners could have taken a 1% or 2% cut last year to ease the burden on others.

*Green Party backbencher for anyone who doesn't know

Last edited:

EvotingMachine0197

I don't think OAPs have either free ESB or free phone.

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
because old people are more likely to vote, plus they are not seen as lazy or irresponsible.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was some campaign to get out the unemployed vote?

afns1

I don't think OAPs have either free ESB or free phone.
I know a self-employed man with a good income in his late 60s who gets phone rental.
Not sure about ESB - think that may be down to which fuel one uses (i.e. can choose to take ESB/electricity credits). I'm pretty sure it's not free just a certain amount of credits.

EvotingMachine0197

I know a self-employed man with a good income in his 60s who gets phone rental.
Not sure about ESB - think that may be down to which fuel one uses (i.e. can choose to take ESB/electricity credits). I'm pretty sure it's not free just a certain amount of credits.
Phone rental yes. Calls No.

Phone rental was always a scam anyway. Money for old rope.

One of the reasons I detest Eircom. Historical over-the-barrel screwing of Irish people.

Mondo

The Greens are part of this government.

It's only natural that they come out against any suggestion that pensions for the likes of Seanie or Fingleton might be affected.

.... But seriously, I agree, it's a clumsy and obvious pathetic grope for some high moral ground stance as they pack up their Prius's and get ready to scarper before the bulldozers move in on ghost estate dail.

Last edited:

justme1

It does not matter anymore about the grey vote as they can not save them FF,they know that Ollie will be watching over them this week and regardless the IMF etc will do it for them if they can't manage to do it.
They will have to means test it,as a lady said on the news the other night when asked by an RTE reporter outside St.Stephens green shopping centre,'Yes i get 230 a week off the state but i also have a good private pension,i feel sorry for the people without a private pension'.
Now IMO that lady is entitled to both,but with the times were in at the moment.....

afns1

Main parties' consensus on debt target is heartening - The Irish Times - Sat, Nov 06, 2010

INSIDE POLITICS: Lenihan’s big challenge is to come up with a package of measures that is politically and economically feasible, writes STEPHEN COLLINS
[..]

Meetings of the Fianna Fáil parliamentary party have been dominated in recent weeks by TDs calling for all pensioners to be exempt from the cuts. This makes no sense on any front. Why should pensioners, no matter how well off, be excluded from cuts, while people on other forms of welfare payment or in receipt of child benefit suffer? Given that the vast majority of pensioners don’t have mortgages or family responsibilities and get a range of benefits from the State, it would be grossly unfair to exempt them from some contribution to saving the national economy when struggling families will be hit from every direction and young people forced to emigrate.

Kevin Doyle

It does not matter anymore about the grey vote as they can not save them FF
The Greens aren't doing this in an effort to save Fianna Fail, thay chose the most politically sensitive* cut back and are cynically using it as a deal breaker.

*in terms of electoral impact.

Limestone

This is simply incredible. The message from Mary White and certain FF bankbenchers is that saving our seats is more important than saving Ireland. Shameful. Mary White was on morning Ireland claiming pensioners are in negative equity when most are in mortgage free paradise.

Does anyone know what the old age pension was in 2002/3?

Any group which can afford to take out costly advertisements lobbying against pension cuts can afford a cut.

greengoose2

This is simply incredible. The message from Mary White and certain FF bankbenchers is that saving our seats is more important than saving Ireland. Shameful. Mary White was on morning Ireland claiming pensioners are in negative equity when most are in mortgage free paradise.

Does anyone know what the old age pension was in 2002/3?

Any group which can afford to take out costly advertisements lobbying against pension cuts can afford a cut.
What's this mortgage free paradise tripe you are spouting? Care to enlighten us on your weird views?

Oh, and it depends on who is paying for that ad. Let's have your clarification on that while you are at it.

Baddaddy

Why shouldn't they take a cut?

Apparently €9 per week is the figure, or a packed of fags, a couple of pints whatever.

Is it too much to ask, and lets be reasonable with this, the cut will bring down the OAP to 2008 levels.

Every other section of society will be worse off from this budget and subsequent budgets why are pensioners immune? they consume services provided by the state, the same as any other citizen.

It smacks of greed, simple unabashed greed, and frankly, there is no difference between bankers being greedy, and ay citizen being greed... its greed.

Limestone

What's this mortgage free paradise tripe you are spouting? Care to enlighten us on your weird views?

Oh, and it depends on who is paying for that ad. Let's have your clarification on that while you are at it.
Mortgage free paradise is the place you end up in when your mortgage is paid off. This is the position which the vast majority of pensioners find themselves in and good luck to them.

I don't know who's paying for the ads but the point is clear - I haven't seen similar adds from groups representing the unemployed, presumably because they don't have money to pay for such ads.

I've answered your questions. Can you now answer mine. What was the old age pension in 2002/2003?

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Why shouldn't they take a cut?

Apparently €9 per week is the figure, or a packed of fags, a couple of pints whatever.

Is it too much to ask, and lets be reasonable with this, the cut will bring down the OAP to 2008 levels.

Every other section of society will be worse off from this budget and subsequent budgets why are pensioners immune? they consume services provided by the state, the same as any other citizen.

It smacks of greed, simple unabashed greed, and frankly, there is no difference between bankers being greedy, and ay citizen being greed... its greed.
Learn some manners, and get an education before attempting to take on this wily pensioner.

Back in the late 1940s we children marched to this song:

Roll along army lorries roll along,
Take the people to their work,
and don't be long,
For the buses are on strike,
and they can't afford a bike,
Roll along army lorries roll along.

When I was 13 in 1955 my father bought my first bike and paid for it over two years by hire purchase.
Today children throw away bikes if they get a punture! You sound like one of them.

OAP`s get Free ESB standing Charge and units.

Also they get Free Telephone line rental or they can opt fort the cash and receive the money with their weekly pension.

They also get the Winter Fuel allowance.

Not to mention the FREE CHEESE!

How can the government tel everyone else including families who are struggiling this Christmas to take further cuts so that the OAP`s dont have too?

DISGUSTING

greengoose2

Mortgage free paradise is the place you end up in when your mortgage is paid off. This is the position which the vast majority of pensioners find themselves in and good luck to them.

I don't know who's paying for the ads but the point is clear - I haven't seen similar adds from groups representing the unemployed, presumably because they don't have money to pay for such ads.

I've answered your questions. Can you now answer mine. What was the old age pension in 2002/2003?
I can't answer that and frankly why should I have to?

The fact that one has discharged one's mortgage does not mean that the person's pension should be reduced to pay for the rotten mess created by FF/Greens and their builder buddies.

As soon as you find out who pays the ads come back with that information and we might have a discussion

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies