Greens say "days of the corrupt politician are numbered"

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Green Party have issued a press release in the name of Trevor Sargent welcoming the recent arrest of four men over corruption charges relating to zoning decisions in the 1990's.

Sargent says that not a single person who gave or received a corrupt payment should be let off the hook.

Sargent goes on to say that the Green Party is working in Government to being about an "immediate" ban on corporate donations, saying that it's public knowledge that both FG and Labour receive corporate donations.

Ban on corporate donations will help clean up politics for good

Green Party TD for Dublin North and Justice spokesman Trevor Sargent has welcomed the latest progress in relation to investigations into the allegations that money was paid to politicians in return for land rezoning votes during the 1990s.

Following the Gardaí's arrest on Friday of four people for questioning regarding corrupt payments to politicians, Deputy Sargent said, "It is reassuring to see that the Garda investigation is ongoing in regard to the allegations that payments were made to certain public representatives. This relates to the days of the crazy rezonings that took place when a number of Dublin County Council members abused their position by taking payments for their votes."

He continued, "It is a matter of public record that I was subjected to physical assault by one elected member of the council when I questioned if any other members had received payments from developers. There is still some way to go yet, but no person who either gave or received a corrupt payment should be let off the hook for their shameless disregard for sustainable planning and development."

Deputy Sargent concluded: "It is for this very reason that the Green Party in Government is working to bring forward an immediate ban on corporate donations to political parties. This ban is not just in regard to Government parties either. It is common knowledge that both Labour and Fine Gael accept corporate donations to support the funding of their respective parties and their elections."

gijoe

Well that is their defence sorted - 'we cannot get a fair trial with these comments Your Honour'!!

Mushroom

Trevor the Green Weasel, the man who tried to interfere with a garda investigation - twice - is a fearsome opponent.

Bertie must be crapping himself. :)

Last edited:

markeys

From the green party that supported a Minister giving a false affadavit to the courts and had no problem with bertie telling a tribunal he won loads of cash on the nags. Their moral superiority knows no bounds! Or their sense of irony. What of green ministers appointing party hacks to state jobs? Nothing corrupt there?

F**Ck of greens. You are despised for your greed and gombeenism and I look forwards to the end of you in political life in Ireland. You've been nothing but a stain on the land.

Mushroom

From the green party that supported a Minister giving a false affadavit to the courts and had no problem with bertie telling a tribunal he won loads of cash on the nags.

F**Ck of greens. You are despised for your greed and gombeenism and I look forwards to the end you you in political life in Ireland. You've been nothing but a stain on the land.

Well said that man!

markjbloggs

I think it is a safe to say the corrupt politicians have a longer existance ahead of them than the Greens !

Sync

Well that is their defence sorted - 'we cannot get a fair trial with these comments Your Honour'!!
Yup. He's not getting smarter.

florin

Yes, their days are numbered - unfortunately, that number is about 20,000...

spotty

Indeed. Spotty went off for a few days of R&R, and he comes back to find that his old friends in the Greens are now actively conspiring to prejudice corruption trials.

Spotty's not usually one for rolling his eyes, but in this case.... :roll::roll::roll:

Mushroom

Indeed. Spotty went off for a few days of R&R, and he comes back to find that his old friends in the Greens are now actively conspiring to prejudice corruption trials.
It just proves beyond further debate that one needs to be extremely dim to be a Green - and, if I recall correctly, your latest personality favours the Greens.

Res ipse loquitur.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
<Mod>
Indeed his comments seem problematic... had a p.ie poster made them they would have vanished by now :-(

Can I suggest that people be very cautious when referring to those who are merely charged with corruption
</Mod>

Mushroom

OceanFrog

Willy O'Dea anyone?

Everyone should read Eamon Ryan's Dail speech in support of the bould Willy.

Mushroom

Willy O'Dea anyone?

Everyone should read Eamon Ryan's Dail speech in support of the bould Willy.

For the Greens the word 'corruption' has a very narrow meaning - it only means something that they disapprove of - and they're obviously quite comfortable with someone telling lies about a political opponent.

jacko

they have been in government for over 3 years and cant produce a Bill on the subject

Sorry, wont produce a Bill on the subject cos their FF masters wont support it

politicaldonations

i hear these corrupt politicians on radio every day. Greens should be ashamed in be keeping them in government. They will never get my vote again.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies