Greens welcome "bullet train" morning service from Galway - which started last month

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Green Party Senator Niall O Brolcháin has issued a statement this afternoon welcoming a morning service from Galway to Dublin that arrives in Heuston before 9am, a service which appears to have begun on August 30th according to the Irish Rail website. The service is welcomed in the future tense by Senator O Brolcháin as a "bullet train" service.

The 6.35am service serves Galway, Athenry and Athlone and then travels non-stop to Dublin Heuston.

I have been campaigning for years for an express business service to bring commuters from Galway to Dublin, along the lines of those common in the UK and Europe.

“The service will run from 6:35am and gets in to Dublin at 8:50am, just in time for the start of the working day.
- Senator Niall O Brolcháin​
The Irish Rail site points out the service started on August 30th, 71 days ago.

Runs every Monday to Saturday from 30 August until 15 January; except 29 September; 1,8,11-16,25 October; 25 December.
- Irish Rail website

An Irish Rail spokesperson told me this afternoon that the service actually began early last month, which is reflected in the new Irish Rail Dublin Galway Timetable published on October 18th, 22 days ago.

The press release by Senator O Brolcháin, dated today, welcomes the news of the train, and speaks of the service in the future tense, despite the service being at least three weeks old.

European standards for high speed rail put services at 250 km/h, and the Japanese Shinkansen (known as the "Bullet Train") has average speeds of 300 km/h - and has been tested at 443 km/h and 581 km/h (for Maglev).

By my math, the Galway to Dublin "bullet train" service travels at about 94km/h, and the Irish Rail spokesperson said they thought the average speed would be about 93 km/h - 30% of the speed of an actual bullet train.

Flyer - New morning ‘bullet train’ from Galway to Dublin - O Brolcháin welcomes fast-link service

corelli

And you can get there with absolutely no stops and much cheaper with City Link, WITH Wi-Fi and a loo thats not filthy, AND in the same time.

redhead101

The Greens just can't catch a break, no more than they can catch a bullet train to Galway.

Mushroom

Perhaps it's a typo and O'Bollockawn really meant to refer to his 'bullet brain'?

johnfás

No quicker than you can drive it either, which is a major problem for an expensive service aside from not being particularly high speed.

EUrJokingMeRight

The guys initials says it all.

corelli

No quicker than you can drive it either, which is a major problem for an expensive service aside from not being particularly high speed.
I did Salthill to Dublin Airport in two hours in September. You would want to have your head examined for ever taking the train. It is now reserved for the non drivers and OAP's. A disaster of a service.

droghedasouth

Just another confirmation of the impending GE.

OceanFrog

Green Party Senator Niall O Brolchyawn is a joke. An unelected gombeen as bad as anything FF have ever produced.

Did anyone see him on Vincent Brownes show last week (P.ie thread here)? Yes, that is what he's really like!!!!!

More evidence of Niall O Brolchyawn being totally out of his depth on the Western Rail corridor here.

Thank goodness this guy will be demoted to obscurity within the next few months. He'll never hold public office again and he knows it. He's a joke, and this is simply more proof of that fact.

Simon.D

Lol... Bullet train me whole... These people really are patronising plonkers coughing out such ridculous soundbites....

corelli

Green Party Senator Niall O Brolchyawn is a joke. An unelected gombeen as bad as anything FF have ever produced.

Did anyone see him on Vincent Brownes show last week (P.ie thread here)? Yes, that is what he's really like!!!!!

More evidence of Niall O Brolchyawn being totally out of his depth on the Western Rail corridor here.

Thank goodness this guy will be demoted to obscurity within the next few months. He'll never hold public office again and he knows it. He's a joke, and this is simply more proof of that fact.
AND he uses our taxes for a "constituency office", even though he does not have one, just down the road from my Mothers house and even nearer to my local pub. REALLY spoils the taste of the beer.

diarmy

Broccoli isn't always good for you!

I guess to people who drive Prius cars like Broccoli and Co, 2.5 hours to Dublin is fast. Having done a journey from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt at 7am on the Intercontinental Express ICE train before and watched the speedo hit 302km/h my view of Iaranrod Eireann is a little tarnished. They may have new trains but most of the journey is done on single-line tracks meaning those stops at stations are to allow traffic down the line to clear the way

This is one of the main reasons there's such a high car ownership per capita ratio in Ireland. Thanks to the new M4/M6 Dublin is legally just over 2 hrs drive from Galway. Though Galway City Council still haven't had the courage to actually signpost the motorway in the city. Must be embarrassing to see Spannish contractors could build a motorway to Ballinasloe quicker than Galway City Council could build a 150meter slip road from Merlin Park road to Parkmore Road. Its been finished now for 8months and still cordoned off by traffic cones.

This ************************e from Broccoli and the other green vegetables on the plate is typical of what's wrong with Green Politicos. Galway now has more bus lanes than car lanes, but no one is actually on the busses. Private coaches now account for about 70% of traffic in and out of Galway (from what I see) and trains are no use to them!

Bottom line (pun), people who take the train do so out of either fear of driving around Dublin, or they don't have a car. I wouldn't take the train unless CIE paid me!

danger here

Dublin-Galway by road is exactly the same distance as Berlin-Rostock (232km) yet a regional German train (equivalent of IR's Commuter Service,with 15 stops and often with only 4 mins between stations) does the same distance in 2 hours 42 mins,an extra 27 mins than the so called bullet train.

Galway
Athenry
Athlone
Dublin Heuston

Berlin Hbf
Berlin Gesundbrunnen
Oranienburg
Gransee
Dannenwalde(Gransee)
Fürstenberg(Havel)
Neustrelitz Hbf
Waren(Müritz)
Plaaz
Subzin-Liessow
Laage(Meckl)
Kronskamp
Scharstorf
Kavelstorf(Kr Rostock)
Rostock Hbf

danger here

Having done a journey from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt at 7am on the Intercontinental Express ICE train
InterCity Express ;)

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
There's a non-stop bus from Galway to Dublin, much quicker than Bus Eireann and probably quicker than the train too.

Obvioulsy the Greens support public transport, as we have for decades been the basket case of Europe in this respect.
And obviously they have a very hard job trying to do anything about it, being only 1/10 of the government during the worst recession we've ever had.

But it's a step in the right direction. And if N O'B is referring to it in the future, I'd say that's a minor detail in an otherwise good news story.

But I don't think anyone wants to hear good news these days.

OceanFrog

Breaking News!!! Green Party Senator Niall O Brolchyawn and another Green PP member get the bullet train from Galway to Dublin ...

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Breaking News!!! Green Party Senator Niall O Brolchyawn and another Green PP member get the bullet train from Galway to Dublin ...

Gosh yes you've demolished all my arguments there.
You were head boy in your college debating society. I can tell.

OceanFrog

Obvioulsy the Greens support public transport, as we have for decades been the basket case of Europe in this respect.
And obviously they have a very hard job trying to do anything about it, being only 1/10 of the government during the worst recession we've ever had.
O Brolchyawn is a joke. And this whole story is a joke and deserves the derision its getting on this thread.

The Green Party in government has given us more roads. They have also supported reduction in bus & trains services, aswell as cutting back spending on public transport more than any Govt in the last 2 decades. It also looks like they're about to roll over to FF again and accept the cancelation of Metro North. All that is before I even mention the good Senator NOB's "confusion" over the Western Rail corridor see here.

We were a basket case in 2007 ... thanks to the Green Party our public transport system is a bigger basket case today.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies