• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"Grey Haired Old Men detached from lives of Working Families". Labour Senator on the Cabinet Ministers.

Con Gallagher

"Grey Haired Old Men detached from lives of Working Families". Labour Senator on the Cabinet Ministers.

By any stretch of the imagination this is an astonishing attack on the Labour Ministers by a member of their own party, Senator John Whelan, in response to yet another regressive budget.

1. Will he face disciplinary action?
2. As a senator he cant vote for or against the budget, so he is reflecting the views of labour TDs who don't have the same freedom of expression?
3. Will Labour make the same mistake as FF in the last election ie letting senior ministers retire without facing the electorate which had a devastating effect on the morale of party workers?
4. Is ageism acceptable in politics?
5. Apart from being one himself, why did Gilmore pick such an old team (eg compare with FG cabinet members)?
6. One assumes that Michael Noonan will step down after the bailout ends next year*, should Gilmore promote a fresher team then of should he do it sooner?

Broken vows: Gilmore in trouble as TDs rebel over Budget - National News - Independent.ie

*two assumptions which may not come to pass.

tigerben

He is only mouthing off because he doesn't have to vote for the budget. If he feels so strongly resign from labour, let him use his feet instead of his mouth.

Red_93

Not far from the truth. But TBF he has a fair few grey hairs himself.

Hewson

By any stretch of the imagination this is an astonishing attack on the Labour Ministers by a member of their own party, Senator John Whelan, in response to yet another regressive budget.

1. Will he face disciplinary action?
2. As a senator he cant vote for or against the budget, so he is reflecting the views of labour TDs who don't have the same freedom of expression?
3. Will Labour make the same mistake as FF in the last election ie letting senior ministers retire without facing the electorate which had a devastating effect on the morale of party workers?
4. Is ageism acceptable in politics?
5. Apart from being one himself, why did Gilmore pick such an old team (eg compare with FG cabinet members)?
6. One assumes that Michael Noonan will step down after the bailout ends next year*, should Gilmore promote a fresher team then of should he do it sooner?

Broken vows: Gilmore in trouble as TDs rebel over Budget - National News - Independent.ie

*two assumptions which may not come to pass.
It's all academic really. Gilmore won't be leader and Labour will be about as relevant as the Greens.

ruserious

We seriously lack in the credible party department in this country going forward.

statsman

You do know that Noonan is FG, don't you?

Last edited:

Sync

It's kind of baffling given y'know...the makeup of the cabinet. Grey haired old men like Jan O'Sullivan, Joan Burton, Alan Kelly, Kathleen Lynch and Sean Sherlock I guess.

Hewson

It's kind of baffling given y'know...the makeup of the cabinet. Grey haired old men like Jan O'Sullivan, Joan Burton, Alan Kelly, Kathleen Lynch and Sean Sherlock I guess.
Don't forget Noonan's hair. That must indicate something . . .

statsman

How many of those are actually in the cabinet? I make it one.

Cato

Eh ... only one of the above is a member of cabinet. The rest are Ministers for State.

Con Gallagher

Did I miss the reshuffle? From that list Joan Burton is the only cabinet minister. (Don't you have a thread to close or something moddy?)

statsman

'Twas nice to be first in. ;)

Spanner Island

He is only mouthing off because he doesn't have to vote for the budget. If he feels so strongly resign from labour, let him use his feet instead of his mouth.
Yep...

There's a lot of cynical tossers in all parties who like to struggle with their consciences in public only to do f*** all about it...

They succumb to the party whip and fall into line eventually...

Best to ignore the f***ers and know that the vast majority of them are insincere self serving w*nkers...

Con Gallagher

Indeed. Only Con's was much more bitchy... :D
I aim to displease. I was going to respond to statman's point of the blindingly obvious (that Noonan is in FG but that his retirement would provide the opportunity for an entire cabinet reshuffle) but having turned on Sync, I thought it would petty.